News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:35:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front winch bumper  (Read 23323 times)

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Front winch bumper
« Reply #30 on: January 18, 2012, 06:07:14 PM »
Did you take/have detailed measurements you could throw onto a sketch of the bumpers?  That would go a long way to helping someone else fab something up.  Personally, I love both of them (front & back) and would love to have them on my eagle!!

Cheers

Sorry. it went together piece by piece. I didn't have the full vision when I started. I figured out the optimum location for the winch and built it up from there.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Prafeston

« Reply #31 on: January 18, 2012, 06:26:11 PM »
You could make rough estimates from your finished product no?

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2012, 03:36:19 PM »
That looks factory!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline CheroCamarEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #33 on: February 15, 2012, 03:34:01 PM »
Any chance we can get a profile shot where we can see both front and rear together.... good work! 

Jesse

It's hard to get a good view of both the bumpers in the same shot. I went to my Uncle's place and took a pic from his upper bridge with the Eagle on his lower bridge.

I got a stock wagon with leather seats, wanna trade?   :P
1984 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited
1981 Chevrolet Camaro Z28
1980 Chevrolet Camaro Berlinetta (For Sale)

Offline SvenTomas

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #34 on: April 11, 2012, 02:58:00 PM »
Good Day EagleFreak . . .

I was excited to find your posts on the bumper build.  Looks like you've had tons of requests for drawings.  I just ventured out of the nest and bought my first Eagle . . . been planning/thinking for years. 

I'd like to offer a favor to the group:  I teach a CAD design class here in Washington State (middle- and high- schoolers).  Right now, we are donig 3d design in Sketchup, and some of the kids have been designing/building cab-guards for their pickups.  One of the first items of business I will address on my Eagle ('84 Brown Wagon) is to build front/rear bumpers.  I'd like to model them with my students, in 3d, to scale.  And then, we could provide full 3d model as well as dimensioned plans to the group, maybe even with some options.

It would be super helpful if you could summarize at least your materials, and what you liked/didn't like, etc.

Thanks
Tom

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #35 on: April 11, 2012, 03:17:02 PM »
Most of my materials are listed in the first post. As far as the 1/8" steel, if I remember correctly, that  was a piece that was 2'x3' and I had some left over. I can't say that there is anything that I would do different. I like the way it came out. Being a novice welder I don't know how to account for the metal shrinking and moving as I weld, so there were some adjustments to make as I went. I would love to see a cad drawing of something similar. Also, not everyone would want a winch, but may want a steel front bumper, which would be easier to build. Here's a one done on a Subaru. http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/76287-Subaru-Forester-Bumper-Build-for-E-J

Offline SvenTomas

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #36 on: April 12, 2012, 06:15:18 PM »
Hey thanks . . .

I liked the Forrester bumper.  I think that's kind of the route I'll go for my Eagle.  I will keep you posted.  Probably won't get built until some time this summer, but hopefully designed in Sketchup before school is out June 7.

A couple other questions about your rig:

I'm planning to get some jeep wheels this weekend.  Currently, I'm looking at a set of 25x7 (5 x 4.5) that came off of a 98 Cherokee. 

What size are your wheels and tires.  It looks perfect, I don't want too redneck or too tall for the tranny.

Also, what is your spring setup.  I like the level your rig is sitting at.  I need to at least replace my springs, and I'd like to get about the same look/height you have.

Thanks again in advance for your help.

Tom in WA

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #37 on: April 12, 2012, 11:11:51 PM »
That's a nice write up on the Subaru bumper.  Thanks for the link!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #38 on: April 13, 2012, 08:51:35 AM »
Those wheels are Grizzlies, off a Jeep Wrangler, they are a 15"x7" wheel with a 4.5" backspace, most factory Cherokee/Grand Cherokee/Wrangler 15x7's will work for you, probably best to stay away from the 15x8's though as it doesn't sound like you want to do as much to the suspension as it would take to make them work.  I'm running 15x7 ecco's from a cherokee on my SX4

My wagon is currently on a set of oem Eagle Rally Aluminum wheels, at least until I get around to selling them as I have another style jeep wheels I like better.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #39 on: April 13, 2012, 08:57:06 PM »
I've got new Espo front coil springs with 1/2" spacers and added 3 leaves each side from a front Grand Wagoneer leaf packs. You can either pruchase new custom leaf springs or add a couple leafs from about any 2.5" leaf spring pack like  a Cherokee or Chevy S10. As Doc explained those are Grizzlies with 215/75/15's. I had to do a cutting up front to keep them from rubbing. i've since switched the wheels to 10 spoke Cherokee wheels with 225/75/15's.

Offline SvenTomas

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #40 on: April 14, 2012, 12:27:25 PM »
Thanks for the info.  That sounds like just the ticket for me.  I'm going to order up some ESPos for the front, and check local junk yard options for the rear pack.  I'm surprised to hear that you had to do some cutting to fit up 215/75s.  I've currently got 205/70s that have some life left, so will probably run them for a while.  

Thanks for the help.

. . . here's my new ride: (just because I know everyone loves to see photos)

« Last Edit: April 14, 2012, 12:56:52 PM by SvenTomas »

Offline doc65

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • Ogden, UT
« Reply #41 on: April 14, 2012, 02:04:51 PM »
Looks just like Bess, except she has power windows, and your interior is nicer :(

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk