News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 06:02:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.0 swap for dummies ??????????????  (Read 3204 times)

Offline Cjackson3396

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
4.0 swap for dummies ??????????????
« on: August 26, 2016, 09:36:00 PM »
 :blob1: :blob1:I've been scrolling post after post lol just a clear answer... I want to drop the whole driveline out of a xj into my eagle...my question to you is what year is best...I want to remain fuel injected but I don't want the obd2 headaches...other than the head issue are there any other major fitment issues I have no problem cutting the floor for tcase shifter..i think the aw-4 is a bit longer than the 998....ohh and I was told that the hole for the front axle was in the 4.0 block also...let me know if that is true and what years if not no biggy right..i can just drill and tap?  I will probably be making it a stroker I think 4.5
« Last Edit: August 26, 2016, 10:06:48 PM by Cjackson3396 »

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: 4.0 swap for dummies ??????????????
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2016, 06:44:50 PM »
Something I put together awhile back. It's for keeping it carbed, but you'll still want the 91-95 if you don't want to mess with Renix or OBDII.

http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=43087.msg334827#msg334827
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #2 on: August 27, 2016, 11:19:00 PM »
hi, your project is quite ambitious, though doable. Have you ever done any kind of engine swap before?  Personally, and I have rebuilt 2 Eagles, I stick with the 258, unless you have a exceptional amount of time/money/skill, which you may have! rebuilding to stock, or just the 4.0 head upgrade, is usually the most cost efficient. good luck, gz

Offline Cjackson3396

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2016, 10:29:35 PM »
Thanks guys I appreciate it...yea lol I eventually found your post thanks...

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2016, 10:34:46 PM »
I have done the 4.0 swap in my gremlin from a 93 cherokee two wheel derive. It's not that bad though a little intimidating at first. But now my Gremlin is multipart fuel injected with O.D.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk