News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 08:21:08 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Air Cleaner  (Read 6371 times)

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
Air Cleaner
« on: January 27, 2016, 10:54:46 PM »
Ok, So i have purchased 2 louvered vents that will be getting cut into the left/right side of the power buldge hood up towards the end of the hood closest to the windshield. There i have an intake duct couplet being mounted to the louver.  This will run from the louver to the air cleaner. Now this issue is the intake duct is a 4 inch round hose. The air cleaner is oval. Where can i buyer an adapter for the air cleaner to ensure proper fitting of the circular hose? I am also open to thinking outside the box and fabricating if anyone has any ideas?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Air Cleaner
« Reply #1 on: January 28, 2016, 12:31:14 AM »
Is the intake hose flexible enough to squeeze oval? I was going to use a Grand Cherokee V8 throttlebody to aircleaner "elbow" for MC2100 to a cone filter. I did a quick test fit on a friend's Hornet with Gronk kit and it looked like a good fit.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: January 28, 2016, 06:47:28 PM »
It is flexible, also i can squeeze it over the square/oval stock cleaner much like the stock hose but im concerned about the sealing part. Also anyone have any ideas to permanently get the trap door to stay open?

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: January 29, 2016, 12:50:56 PM »
I was able to rip the trap door out of mine.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2016, 12:59:55 PM »
The shutdown door can have a screw put through the top to keep it open or just rip it out. The hot air one is needed to prevent carb icing in winter and doesn't block the flow very much.

PS: Have you accounted for water drainage when it rains? Forward facing hood scoops were commonly known as Rain Induction Cowls.
« Last Edit: January 29, 2016, 01:01:38 PM by carnuck »
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2016, 02:21:25 PM »
I'm guessing needle nose pliers and a good yank or two?

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #6 on: January 29, 2016, 03:06:49 PM »
I recall bending the tab so the flap came loose on one of them.

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #7 on: January 29, 2016, 03:30:07 PM »
Ok, Maybe i will give that a try today. Before the tear down i just taped it open but since im rebuilding i want it all to look uniform. Tape is not uniform..

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #8 on: April 09, 2016, 07:43:50 PM »
sounds like fun, but what is the point of this exercise? more air? to feed a bigger carb? bigger cam? inquiring minds want to know!

Offline AMCLOVER258

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #9 on: April 09, 2016, 08:47:24 PM »
The latch tend to malfunction causing a choke to the engine and some nasty blow by in my case. Removing it allows a steady air flow

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #10 on: November 10, 2019, 03:52:06 PM »
... I was going to use a Grand Cherokee V8 throttlebody to aircleaner "elbow" for MC2100 to a cone filter. I did a quick test fit on a friend's Hornet with Gronk kit and it looked like a good fit.
How did that work out?
I'm looking for alternate air cleaners to feed a MC2150.
Is there a year for that Grand Cherokee V8 throttlebody?

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #11 on: November 11, 2019, 11:41:30 PM »
hi on my MC2150 I just use  an Edelbrock open element 9". works well, though no fresh air.

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #12 on: November 12, 2019, 11:16:42 AM »
... I was going to use a Grand Cherokee V8 throttlebody to aircleaner "elbow" for MC2100 to a cone filter. I did a quick test fit on a friend's Hornet with Gronk kit and it looked like a good fit.
How did that work out?
I'm looking for alternate air cleaners to feed a MC2150.
Is there a year for that Grand Cherokee V8 throttlebody?

I think I tried this at one time and it was a no go.  Can't remember exactly what was the problem but it wasn't going to work.  I have a 4.0 L head on mine so my carb sits a little higher than stock and that may have been the issue.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk