The Shop > Transmission Shop

AMC Manual Transmissions - General Info

(1/9) > >>

IowaEagle:
Application Years (for Eagles):

The below information was compiled by Antti-Ville Nauha and has/is being edited for Eagle applications.

SR-4 4spd (151/258) '81
SR-4 AMC is pretty much the same as the Ford versions and limited to 220 foot pounds.
An exploded diagram in located in the Diagrams Section of this forum.

T4 4spd (151/150/258 ) '82-'86
T-4/T-5 has TF-998/904 output shaft and seal, so when converting from AMC T-4/5 to a Ford unit you will need the yoke.

T5 5spd S (150/258 ) '82-'87
T-5 looks very similar to the SR-4 and T-4, except for the bulge the shift lever housing for the overdrive.
T-5 front bearing retainer in the AMC T-5 is GM size, as is input  shaft. They're maybe shared with gm, or just compatible.  T-5 from a Mustang will fit any AMC engine if you get the bellhousing from SR-4 ('76-'81), T-4 ('82-'88 ) or T-5 ('83-'88 ) , and the throw out arm and bearing, from the same bell.   Also the front bearing retainer is needed, gm size, (maybe gm part?), if you don't want to modify the Mustang part.  Right clutch disc with the correct # of splines that also fits the pressure plate you're using, and the pilot bearing is also needed.
T-5 '94-up mustang input shafts are ~2/3" longer.

150-T (Tremec) is a Ford Toploader design. All the big three used  them in the late '70s; A toploader 4spd will slip right into the bellhousing and clutch. Also the output spline is the same [ 28 ] - the 150t is ford all the way. From compact to midsize cars the trannies are the same length as the 3spd.

mick:
What's the torque rating on the Eagle T-5?  I have a feeling a 400+ inch v-8 will one day reside in SX-4. I'd like to keep the t-5 if it will hold up.

rally boy:
well mick i dont think the stock t-5 will handle that kind of power. im assuming, once again, that the t-5 in an amc is the same as mid 80's t-5's in mustang's and camaro's. if i remember correctly a stock tranny cld probably handle like 260 hp. they kept upgrading them over the years. next level maybe 285 hp. now adays they got em up to like 325-340. i believe you cld rebuild yours with some heavy duty internals or youd have to purchase one from the aftermarket. everyone and his brother has modified these tranny's and FORD even sells em from the factory for a somewhat reasonable price. they really pionierd the developement with the cobra mustangs and a billion other drag racers. watch that second gear. miss a cple 1-2 shifts or speed shift it and bye-bye second. i totally envy you . i want an sx/4 with a 5 spd really bad. i also wld love to drop a 401 in there. heard its more work than its worth though. long live speed junkies!

IowaEagle:
Went and checked my facts out and we were both partially right/wrong.  The T-5 was available from '82 -'87.  During the final year with only the 2.73 axle ratio.

IowaEagle:
I think it was the standard trans with the auto as an option.  There might have been a few that actually had them.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version