The Shop > Under the Hood & HVAC

Alternator belt tensioning

(1/1)

mr.mindless:
I've got a valve cover leak, and things are a bit dirty under the AC compressor... I'm having a hard time figuring out the alternator mounting. It looks like it pivots on the bottom bolt and there's probably a slot hiding under the AC compressor for a top bolt?

Not familiar with this AMC 258 accessory mounting at all, totally different from all the 4.0s I've dealt with, and none of the Jeep 4.2s I've played on have AC much less an alt under it and driven through it! What an odd setup...

68AMXGOPAC:
I believe there is a top and bottom bolt, and that square drive hole works with a 1/2" ratchet wich then pivots the bracket and the idler along with it - it's a PIA .

mr.mindless:
There's an R&R article here but it doesn't really cover the tensioning
http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Alternator_Removal_%26_Replacement

Now that I have confirmation of just two bolts I'll just go loosen them and see what moves. Or wait until tomorrow... Supposed to be 41 and dry, that sounds better than 27 and dark out.

mr.mindless:
Perfect.

I also dug through the crud and found a 1/2" square drive hole that was all covered up to tension from the top.

All I'd seen before was the "do not loosen" bolts, didn't realize the bracket itself moved.  All set now aside from one of the fresh belts I bought in Kansas not boing the correct one.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

Go to full version