News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 10:08:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Horn not working.  (Read 6963 times)

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
Horn not working.
« on: October 18, 2013, 07:03:08 PM »
So, after realizing that middle fingers are, in fact, silent when someone is merging into the same lane as my 112 bHP (when new) car, I decided I should probably get a new horn. The old one was damaged in the collision. I found one wire that looks like it goes on such a thing, put it on, the horn said if the car only has one wire to ground the other terminal to itself, and that's that. And I got nothing. I went to my service manual, but they are taking about a lot of things like "wiring harness" and "fusible link" that I don't totally understand (ok, I understand, but get stuck when I'm staring at all this stuff). Ideas?
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
Re: Horn not working.
« Reply #1 on: October 18, 2013, 07:15:02 PM »
Check the horn relay.  Right side on the inner fender wall.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2014, 11:13:23 AM »
BUMP! So I realized that I never reinstalled a horn relay after the accident. Ok, no big deal. I bought a relay on RockAuto and a horn, and hooked everything up, and when I press the horn it is not loud (I bought the loudest "oem" horn AutoZone sells) and puts a HEAVY drain on the electrical system. I can watch my headlights dim and the volt gauge dip severely. What could be wrong? Could I not have a good enough ground?

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2014, 11:22:05 AM »
How well did you ground the horn itself?
If the relay is the original style be sure it's grounded well as well.
« Last Edit: October 25, 2014, 11:23:33 AM by Mernsy »

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #4 on: October 25, 2014, 01:09:38 PM »
How well did you ground the horn itself?
If the relay is the original style be sure it's grounded well as well.

Ahh, so you mean, by this, that the horn relay has to be grounded to the body? I think I ground the horn itself pretty well to the body...the only concern I'd have is the back side where the bolt head is was kind of muddy, but the front side where I mounted the horn was clean. My existing wiring was still there from the accident; just the old relay was gone.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #5 on: October 25, 2014, 04:16:17 PM »
Yes, the relay needs a good ground.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #6 on: October 25, 2014, 05:28:12 PM »
Yes, the relay needs a good ground.

Thank you....I will properly mount the relay and report back.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: October 27, 2014, 07:33:48 PM »
The horn is attached to the body. If the body ground from the battery isn't strong enough, the ground is pulled through everything in the vehicle which can cause brown outs and even blow the ignition module.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #8 on: October 27, 2014, 10:48:17 PM »
the horn relays that gm and mopar use will work if you are unable to find an amc unit. that is what i am using currently. it is a plastic case, and there case does not need to be grounded. the horn relay has a hot wire going into the relay, a ground which goes to the horn button on the steering wheel, and another wire to the horn. it may be a issue at the steering wheel that is causing your horn not to work, it may be the relay, or the horns are not working. it is possible to remove the relay, and come from the power feed wire to the horn wiring to test if it is a horn system. if it works, next I would find a way to back probe the ground wire temporarily, and with the relay re installed, touch it to a ground. if the horn works, then the issue is somewhere from the relay, to the horn button, or even the horn button. what steering wheel do you have?

1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #9 on: October 27, 2014, 10:51:36 PM »
another thought, some AMC era jeeps, you had to have the key in run or accessory position for the horn to work, I cant remember if the eagles were that way.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2014, 02:52:19 PM »
the horn relays that gm and mopar use will work if you are unable to find an amc unit. that is what i am using currently. it is a plastic case, and there case does not need to be grounded. the horn relay has a hot wire going into the relay, a ground which goes to the horn button on the steering wheel, and another wire to the horn. it may be a issue at the steering wheel that is causing your horn not to work, it may be the relay, or the horns are not working. it is possible to remove the relay, and come from the power feed wire to the horn wiring to test if it is a horn system. if it works, next I would find a way to back probe the ground wire temporarily, and with the relay re installed, touch it to a ground. if the horn works, then the issue is somewhere from the relay, to the horn button, or even the horn button. what steering wheel do you have?

I have the leather 3-spoke wheel. I think the problem is the actual grounding of the relay. I hadn't bolted it to the body of the car when I was testing everything out....I'd just had it plugged in. I was getting noise out of the horn, just not a lot and had a major draw on electrical system. I am thinking that is what it really is because otherwise, it TECHNICALLY works (lol). I bought the relay off of RockAuto that had the correct spec relay in stock.

1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2014, 05:28:00 PM »
One of my fav bumper snickers
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2014, 07:03:05 PM »
re-reading the first post, the horn sounds like it has two terminals? the factory horn was grounded through its mount. I think eagles had two horns, one on each side of the bumper support. behind the front valence.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk