News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:46:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 1985 EAGLE Wagon trans screeching when I hit passing gear.  (Read 1179 times)

Offline mmanship

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
1985 EAGLE Wagon trans screeching when I hit passing gear.
« on: April 10, 2021, 08:23:49 AM »
The car is new to me.   Runs fine.  Shifts good.  Good reverse.  Fluid looks good.  But, if I need it to shift down into passing gear, it screeches loudly.   Any ideas?   Sometimes if I am turning and it shifts I hear a small screech.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: 1985 EAGLE Wagon trans screeching when I hit passing gear.
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2021, 08:58:54 AM »
Could be a couple different problems. One that few ever do, including me. A band adjustment probably needs to be done. It also could have some leaking o rings.
Mr Shift sells a cheep kit that prevents drain back from the torque converter. I have it and also need to install it. Drain back is common in all of the torque flight transmissions that I know of.
When you fist start the car after it has been sitting for more than a few days, shift it into neutral, (make sure parking brake is set) this will get the oil going back through the entire trans and torque converter. The pump does not engage while in park.
Also make sure the kick down linkage is present and adjusted correctly. Took mine out one day last summer and immediately noticed it wasn’t shifting correctly. The rod is pretty robust however the u channel that is adjustable will rust out, (mine did) because it is very thin steel.
Hope something here helps.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2021, 12:15:02 PM »
Maybe something simple like a belt squealing?
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline mmanship

• Premium Member
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: April 10, 2021, 04:13:10 PM »
Thanks Taylor.  Car shifts really good and passing gear comes in.  I shall get it on the lift.  Fluid looks good but this car had only 2,000 miles put on it in the last 20 years.  It's been in a warehouse.  I immediately had to flush, renew the brake fluid and bleed because of no brakes.  Good brakes now.  Got lucky.   Maybe after I get it on the lift I'll see something.  I know it is not a belt as I changed out the belts and hoses and tightened appropriately.  Sidebar:  I'm dropping off Monday morning to a A/C expert.  He's going to take it home and get it working (I hope).  Perhaps 20 years of sitting has not been good for it.  He said he would for sure be taking off the Sanden and draining it and coming back with 134.  The compressor kicks in as I tested it with my power probe.  I am hoping to use this car as a daily driver around town.  I live in Bowling Green, Ky., Home of the Corvette.  I have a corvette along with several other cars but none are as delightful to drive around my little town as this Eagle.  Steering is light and easy and it is just the right size.   And, does it get the attention and thumbs up.  People want pictures!  I am so thankful to have found this forum.  Keep up the work and God save our EAGLE.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk