News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 10:36:28 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Front end alignment?  (Read 5920 times)

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
Front end alignment?
« on: March 24, 2011, 07:21:43 PM »
Hello I am having some trouble getting the wheels aligned.  Been to shop 3 times and they still can't get it in spec.  First time was RF caster.  Replaced a few parts then back again... Now it's LF camber... So far I have changed the strut rods and bushings with the brackets, both sides,  all the ball joints,  both lower arms and bushings, tie rods and sleeves.  On the 3rd trip back to the rack the LF camber problem is still there and the car pulls HARD right.  I am at my wits end and neither I or they can figure out why.  It used to steer straight but I took it in after I did the ball joints just to make sure, and now I have opened a new can of worms.. Anybody else have this much trouble?  Thanks in advance for your replies,  Greg

Offline wagonmaster

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 7
Re: Front end alignment?
« Reply #1 on: March 24, 2011, 08:27:12 PM »
maybe a different shop? if it used to steer strait and is getting worse with each visit maybe its them and not your eagle. you might know these guys are honest, but if not maybe they aren't. ?

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #2 on: March 25, 2011, 12:00:16 AM »
GO to Firestone. THey have a lifetime front end alignment special. It's like $130. LIFETIME!
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline TwoEaglesForMe

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Greg
« Reply #3 on: March 25, 2011, 04:59:07 PM »
I will look for a Firestone near me.  I already have that much into these last 3 so called alignments...  I was starting to wonder if it was STS that is not doing a thorough job.  I will repost my findings with Firestone Thank you for the replies.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #4 on: March 25, 2011, 05:43:41 PM »
also consider checking the Pitman arm.  If that's worn (usually can tell by too much play) then you'll have to replace it, and that might help the issue.  Tie-rod ends are also another issue.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #5 on: March 28, 2011, 12:50:48 PM »

HI the people that do alinement's aren't all ways properly trained .I went to one shop and he asked
            what kind of car I said Eagle he said jap I said no he said Don I cant do eagles so I said thank you
            for being honest he said its long time  Friends .and he told me where to take it ..it is my 82  eagle.....
            off track again.some people cant  and wont tell you they cant do the job ..it sounds like shop #1is
           that way ......waiting to hear what shop # 2 has to say .............Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: April 01, 2011, 04:23:25 PM »
If they can do an older Ford they can do an Eagle.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #7 on: April 01, 2011, 09:13:07 PM »
Way too many shops these days are more about replacing parts on common cars than knowledge, and 70% of them don't know $#%$7 about our cars, even though the front ends are nearly identical to GM trucks of the late 80s and early 90s... If they can't get it right the first time or tell you they don't do them, they're idiots, and you should never return there. That front end is one of the most simple front ends in existance, there are three points and ways to align, toe, caster, camber, and those three points are extremely easy to get to. Strut bushings/rod adjustment align caster, the large cam bolts on the dogbone that hold the lower control arms align camber, and the tie rod adjusting sleeves align toe. It amazes me that shops still cannot figure this out. I'm no where near ASE certified and I know this >_<
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: April 02, 2011, 05:07:06 AM »

WELL  SAD
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk