News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 01:23:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Finding a rear Hub for my SX/4  (Read 3591 times)

Offline amcman73

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Finding a rear Hub for my SX/4
« on: December 09, 2014, 08:05:24 PM »
I am in need of a new right rear Hub for my 1981 SX/4 and am woundering where is the best place to find one so I can get my eagle flying on down the road again !

Thanks, Austin

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: Finding a rear Hub for my SX/4
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2014, 11:01:44 PM »
Did it strip or did the hub nut shear off?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline amcman73

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
« Reply #2 on: December 10, 2014, 12:42:06 PM »
So my axle is bent so called up a junk yard where they pull it and they got me a straight axle but the shop thay i took It to Says that it can only safely be pressed on once due to the groves so know I have a straight axle but I need a new hub that can be pressed on there

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 01:10:14 PM »
They aren't pressed on. They are splined and you mark them when you take them apart so it lines up the same.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 01:33:41 PM »
Theres a pair of them on Ebay ( http://www.ebay.com/itm/AMC-CONCORD-SPIRIT-EAGLE-REAR-WHEEL-HUBS-1978-1979-NOS-/381066226601?pt=Vintage_Car_Truck_Parts_Accessories&hash=item58b9512ba9&vxp=mtr ) Have to verify if those fit all years. Or you might want to try http://www.blaserauto.com Then have a lot of NOS stuff.
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 05:10:20 PM »
Or you could switch to an XJ rear diff. If you don't have 3.55 or 3.08 gears, then you can swap the original gears in an XJ D35. The only mod from a D35 XJ diff to put it in an Eagle is the shock mounts and you end up with better rear brakes too. The bearing is stronger and bigger so it won't fit to swap the XJ axle shaft in the Eagle.

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 05:52:57 PM »
So the axle from the junk yard does not have a hub on it??    Was it from an Eagle??
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 08:22:39 PM »
Or you could switch to an XJ rear diff. If you don't have 3.55 or 3.08 gears, then you can swap the original gears in an XJ D35. The only mod from a D35 XJ diff to put it in an Eagle is the shock mounts and you end up with better rear brakes too. The bearing is stronger and bigger so it won't fit to swap the XJ axle shaft in the Eagle.

Not to highjack this thread, but Carnuck, are you sure you can move the AMC 15 gears to a D35? I've love to hear of someone that's actually done this. All indications are it'll work, but have yet to find someone that actually did it. I want to swap out my rear axle but as I have the 2.35 gears I know I'd have to find a new front axle (and I have no need to change gear ratios)
83 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #8 on: December 10, 2014, 11:11:20 PM »
Randy's ring and pinion lists the same number for the gears. They did the axle bearing in SOTE when it was 2wd and I was in the middle of moving.  Not 100% on the carrier tho.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk