The Mighty 258 > Fuel Systems.

Stalling problems

(1/7) > >>

OREGONCOWGIRl:
hey maybe you can help me i have a 1987 amc eagle and it has been stating just fine although lately when i am driving and i come to a stop light it has ben stalling(dyeing) to where i have to restart it again each time i have been comming to a stop light it has died i have gave it a tune up and all can you please give me your input to my problem please thanks!

Smitch:
Carb idle tubes, maybe.

http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=September_1985_-_IS_34E_-_6_cyl._Engine_BBD_Carburetor_-_Restricted_Idle_Fuel_Pickup_Tubes

82wagon:
My 82 would stall occasionally at stoplights or slowing to turn a corner. I cleaned the idle tubes and it helped for while. When it did it again I ordered a kit to upgrade the tubes and added a screen below the tubes. It's been over a year and its never stalled ever again.

Ken

AMC of Houston:
You really don't need the screens and shorter tubes unless you're a serious mudder and/or use crap for gas.   If you just drill out the bottom of the tubes to .030 per the AMC service bulletin; you'll probably be fine (and without spending any $'s!).

PAcowboy:
Sometimes, a bad coil will cause these same problems.

Start engine, idles, drives just fine. Then, stop at a light and it's dead. You have to restart it, it's ok, then it happens again.

Years ago, I had a '62 Dodge Dart, 318, push button Torqueflite. It had the same problem. Would keep stalling. A mechanic told me that a weak coil will cause the same problem. Sometimes, a weak coil can be finicky around sources of microwaves.

Every time I pulled into the PA State Police barricks, it would stall. I'd start it, then it would stall, wouldn't run. When I pushed it out of the parking lot, it would start right up and drive just fine, until I took my foot of the pedal.

Steve

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version