News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:22:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Emmissions Question  (Read 19126 times)

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
  • its cool cause you say its cool
    • My Cardomain site for my 85 Eagle
Emmissions Question
« on: September 27, 2007, 10:49:44 PM »
I have a 85 eagle wagon. and the darn thing is so screwed up from the emission hoses to the vacuum hoses for the select drive. anybody have a diagram for just the emissions.. say like the cto to the thermal vacuum switch to the egr valve to the carb. i dont have the dual cto. and all i can find are diagrams with a dual, which i dont have. i tried hooking it up on my own..but im not sure if i need a delay valve somewhere or what outlet on the carb i should plug the hose into from the cto. could use the help. thanks.

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Emmissions Question
« Reply #1 on: September 28, 2007, 12:50:00 AM »
A good Automotive Fire Insurance an some lighter fluid dose wonders for fixing a lot of problems.
I wish I could help you out. But I do recommend that you change all the fittings and hoses for new ones.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Emmissions Question
« Reply #2 on: September 28, 2007, 12:58:23 AM »
I'm sure that any one here that has done most any type of work on there AMC Eagle vacuum system has had the urge to just burn the whole think or find the person who design it so they can tar and feather him.
Wants You.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline Gil-SX4

• Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Emmissions Question
« Reply #3 on: September 28, 2007, 01:01:37 AM »
Have you check a newer or older model schematics to see if they have something you can use on your 85 or if legal in your State try removing as much as possible of the emissions and vacuum systems.
Wants You.

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
Emmissions Question
« Reply #4 on: September 29, 2007, 01:53:22 PM »
Yeah.. i live here in NY. there not tight but id rather be prepared for a stiff then get caught.  :P  Ill figure out something.

Offline Jurjen

• Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Emmissions Question
« Reply #5 on: September 29, 2007, 02:55:23 PM »
Maybe this thread should be moved to the emissions/vacuum section.
The 1980 diagrams have single CTO's:
1. Ignition: It changes from manifold to ported vacuum when it gets warm.
2. EGR: it is connects the EGR to ported vacuum when it gets warm (in series with a TVS in the airfilter housing).
You can find the ported vacuum on the passenger side of the carburettor, somewhere in the middle.

You don't need either CTO.
1. Ignition can be on ported vacuum directly.
2. I have replaced the EGR with a steel plate.

I live in the Netherlands, for this car there are no emission restrictions.

"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline bigdog56e

• Thumbs Up 65
Emmissions Question
« Reply #6 on: September 29, 2007, 06:03:01 PM »
  Gil,
      I just had thurge to burn all smog crap I took off mine, but didn't, listed it in freebies this morning, free except shipping.
                                                                 Eddie

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: Emmissions Question
« Reply #7 on: October 05, 2007, 04:43:44 PM »
There are several diagrams around here, or there were for a while. I rebuilt my whole emission control system, for an 87, so yours should be identical. I deviate just a bit from factory fresh, but in an attempt to make it easier.

Start by looking at the front of the carb:

1. On the left-hand side about halfway up is the ported vacuum nipple.
2. On the right-hand side, on the base, is the EGR nipple. This is originally capped. It is a second, slightly different ported vacuum source.

On the back, looking from the front of the car:

3. PCV vent nipple, it is larger then the others.
4. Pull-off nipple. This only goes to your vacuum pull-off on the carb. Don't attach anything else here.
5. Accessory nipple, full manifold under the carb. This is for your air-cleaner.

On the intake manifold itself:

6. At the very back, one or more nipples screwed in. These are for vacuum-powered accessories like Cruise, 4wd, heater valve.
7. Large nipple on the side below the carb for the Brake Booster.
8. Small nipple below the carb for the full manifold emissions system parts.

Port #1 (ported) goes across the engine to the 10/4 switches. It should go to the "natural" colored one. There is no delay valve in the line, but a reverse delay valve (White/Color) will delay the MCU from retarding timing at idle a few seconds. If your engine stalls coming to a stop or parking, this will help. I have a White/Gold (15 second) valve there.
The line splits and also routes through the plastic thermostatic switch in the side of the air cleaner and goes to the top port on the canister. This purges the vapors when the air cleaner is warm. It is not necessary to also use the CTO switch, as the PCV valve offsets any air bleed from the canister. A forward (Black/Color) delay valve in this line is possible, but not necessary. It connects to the top stacked port on the canister.

Port #2 (EGR) I route this down to the single CTO switch, center port. Plug the EGR into the open hot port (outside, I believe). Use a forward delay valve (Black/Color) here to delay EGR activation a few seconds on acceleration. Orange, Purple, or Gray are good choices, in increasing order.

Port #3 (PCV) This port goes to your PCV valve, and has a "T" in it for one of the ports on the evap canister. Usually the bottom of the two stacked ports on one side. If this port on the canister flows when all other ports are disconnected, the evap canister is bad.

Port #5 (Air cleaner) This port goes to a "Y" or "T" and supplies the two doors on the air cleaner. One side goes through a delay valve or a check valve and opens the back vacuum motor when the engine runs. The delay valve should be the longest reverse delay you have on hand, but a check valve will work too.
The other side of the split goes through the thermostatic valve on the bottom of the air cleaner and to the front motor on the snorkel to switch between the stove and cold air. There is no valve on this line, the thermostatic switch is calibrated for the whole works.

Port #6 (ACC) Route all your accessories through here. Check valves and tanks as appropriate.

Port #8 (Emissions) This line goes across the engine to a "Y" or "T" split by the 10/2 switches. It goes to the green colored switch and the distributor. The switch side goes through a small vacuum canister about the size of a film canister then a purple/black delay valve. The other side goes straight to your distributer.

The purple/black valve is the generic distributer delay valve available for almost any car. It is a 4 second forward delay valve that keeps the advance from coming in right away. Jeeps from 74-80 used a red and blue delay valve on EGR, which you can order. Blue side goes to the valve and the red side goes to the CTO.

The purple/black valve can be added in before the distributer if you get detonation when you lift the accelerator suddenly.

I hope this helps.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #8 on: October 05, 2007, 08:20:38 PM »
Some diagrams are in the AMC Eaglepedia.  Some are still here in the emissions board.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline demonicdragon

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #9 on: October 06, 2007, 10:58:05 AM »
wow!!! lol.. thanks.. lol.. that will help..lol. but hopefully i can find a diagram setup for my year. havnet had any luck with that. but lol. oh wells.

Offline amcsedan

• RECYCLE : Drive an AMC !!
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #10 on: November 25, 2008, 03:59:59 PM »

These may be in the E pedia, but I found a site that breaks the usual diagrams into 3 separate layers:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vactails.htm

I know the site appears in other threads, but here's the link to these drawing anyway.
1986 Jeep Corp Grand Wagoneer
All the Eagles have flown the coop....

Offline oldfrt613

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2009, 11:00:28 PM »
Eaglepidia has the diagram for the '85 with the single CTO switch. I know because I noticed the same thing with the other diagrams on my '85

Offline Viscount02

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #12 on: September 09, 2009, 09:25:10 PM »

These may be in the E pedia, but I found a site that breaks the usual diagrams into 3 separate layers:

http://home.sprynet.com/~dale02/vactails.htm

I know the site appears in other threads, but here's the link to these drawing anyway.

Who ever made this deserves a medal! Man, This is exactly what I need.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk