1979 - 1983 AMC Spirits and 1978 - 1983 AMC Concords > Spirit/Concord Drive Trains

torque converter or tranny?

(1/6) > >>

SleepsUnderCars:
my 80 Spirit has a problem. It seems to have lost 3rd gear. It runs around fine if I shift it into 2, but if it is in drive it has nothing after shifting up from second. Like it is in neutral. I know the 80 Spirits came with both lockup and non-lockup TC, could this just be a bad lockup converter?
is there any way to identify which converter without pulling the tranny?

BenM:
You may be able to read printing on the torque converter if you take the inspection cover off, but I don't recall any external differences.

According to my 76 TSM, third gear is both the front and rear clutches engaged. The rear controls all gears, but the front is only ever applied in 3rd and Reverse.  I don't see any mentions of 3rd gear only not working. How's your reverse?

SleepsUnderCars:
reverse is fine. I can back up all day long. That's why I am thinking a lockup TC that is failing to lock

eaglebeek:
The lockup doesn't engage until after the transmission has shifted to 3rd gear and the car is moving forward at around 35 mph (depending on final drive ratio). I doubt the torque converter is the cause.

I'm thinking one of the clutches/bands has failed. The other consideration is a hydraulic fault. Have you noticed if the shift quality or speed at which shifts occur have changed since your malfunction showed up?

I can do some research and come up with a better answer tomorrow (Thursday). Meanwhile, if someone else has an answer please post up!

mudkicker715:

--- Quote from: BenM on November 02, 2011, 11:49:26 AM ---You may be able to read printing on the torque converter if you take the inspection cover off, but I don't recall any external differences.

According to my 76 TSM, third gear is both the front and rear clutches engaged. The rear controls all gears, but the front is only ever applied in 3rd and Reverse.  I don't see any mentions of 3rd gear only not working. How's your reverse?

--- End quote ---

There is numbers however they are stamped on the inside. I cannot tell if I ever had a lockup by driving them. I know by tearing them apart I I had some.

Here comes the stupid answer. My 82 concord is in neutral from park to drive till I go half go to second than back to drive at takeoff. I need to adjust it.

Whats my response to your problem. He[% if I know not even sure if I have a lockup yet. Just saying check linkage.

Anyone that knows my responses, knows I only typy say one sentence. So read carefully.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version