News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:52:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 998 Automatic 40 mph 3rd Gear Shift Mod  (Read 2731 times)

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
998 Automatic 40 mph 3rd Gear Shift Mod
« on: February 08, 2017, 10:03:31 AM »
Hello Everyone,

Is there a way to change the 40mph shift into 3rd?  I'd like to change it to 45 or 50 mph.  I'm dead in the water until she hits 50 mph.

With my bigger tires 40 mph is just the wrong time to shift into 3rd.  For some reason she won't kickdown into 2nd when I'm merging on to the highway.  From what I've read it should, I think it should, but then again it states into only with shift at certain rpm.   I can down shift into 1st from 2nd not problem.

thanks

jb
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline Beaverseagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: 998 Automatic 40 mph 3rd Gear Shift Mod
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2017, 10:54:56 AM »
I just did a little research on the forum, reading through the other posts.   I think it's my lock up torque converter that is locking up at 40 mph and my tranny is not building up a enough pressure to over come the lock up and kick it down into 2nd. I'm wording if my trans cooler is plugged up.  I read someone else had an issue with a plugged up trans cooler.
82 SX4 258 w/ 2 inch lift 235 tires and TBI kit.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2017, 11:01:44 AM »
Have you checked to make sure your TV rod is adjusted properly? Depending on the condition of your transmission, you might want to consider a shift kit. I really liked the difference it made when I had it installed in a 998. http://www.transgo.com/products.php?prd=TF-2&homeinclude=catalog&category_id=60&parent_id=29&product_id=79&countdisplay=3&start=0&addcountview=Yes
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline carguy87

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2017, 11:17:02 AM »
I second the TV adjustment. It can be really finicky and rusty, but makes a world of difference. I had a lockup in mine with 235/75 15's and never had an issue with power moving it or being "dead" at the bottom of third gear. What is your axle ratio, tire size, and condition of your engine?

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk