News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 03:20:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bringing This Eagle Back to Soar Again! A 1983 SX/4 Restoration PICTURE HEAVY  (Read 13329 times)

Offline cyclops231

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
You've got a lot of work ahead of you. Good Luck

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Looks like your doing just fine, I like your work!
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
I'm impressed that you're a new welder & at least from here it looks pretty decent but I have no experience welding, which leads me to this. Even at my senoir citizen age I am seroiusly considering starting some welding. Maybe you could post a few lines on what equipment you're using & what you may have practiced on. I recently made a simple but highly engineered tail pipe bracket that looks like an engineering feat that must have taken me 12 hours to fabricate. A welder could have done the job in 5 minutes.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
I too am a senior citizen with no welding experience.  I would welcome his insight.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Wow.  I was thinking my 1980 AMC Eagle Coupe was too rusty to repair.  I guess I better hold on to it and try to repair it.  Thanks for the pictures and giving me hope! 

Offline Zebo

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Well I think it's about time that I have revitalized this thread. Latest update; I have finally finished all the rust work except for a small hole in the rear passenger rocker corner, I have a few pictures that I have yet to upload. She is solid! :hello2: which is a huge relief, now comes finishing replacing some of the mechanical components, sensors, brakes, shocks and bushings.
Life recently has gotten in the way of making any progress within the last few months, and having one of the harshest winters in recent memory doesn't make it any easier. I have also had a recent addition to my AMC family

I picked up this 1981 AMC Spirit DL 4.2 auto with 59k miles for $400, it was too good of a deal to pass up. Once I get my pictures together I will update this thread will all progress to date on the SX/4.
Tom

-1983 AMC Eagle SX4 I6 258 auto (project)
-1981 AMC Spirit I6 258

Offline lonestar1947

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Thanks for the update!  Amazing!  I'm going to try and learn how to post pictures.  I have a 81 Eagle Kammback, I bought on Ebay last November. 

My problems are different than rust.  No title, which I haven't been able to solve; and everything plastic or rubber, baked in the sun untill it's crumbled apart!

Sheet metal that's perfect though!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk