The Shop > 4X4 and Driveline

NP129 Output Seals

(1/3) > >>

MIPS:
Had the car in to get the two front U-joints replaced and change a leaking front output seal since they had the propeller shaft out.
Got a call a few minutes ago that the new seal doesn't fit.  :o  I don't have the full details yet. I have to bike to the shop after work to get more answers, so I'll update this thread again in a few hours.

To my knowledge my '82 has the original New Process 129. RockAuto lists SKF 18662, National 3946 and BCA NS3946 as "front" and "rear" output seals, so I'm guessing they are interchangeable. The shop ordered in a National 3946 from their own parts catalog. Not sure what could be going on unless I'm trippin' and someone in the past put a 128 in. Those that I can tell will fit a 3946 or an SKF 18771.

vangremlin:
I had my 129 worked on a few months ago and after the first go around the front seal was leaking.  I took it back to the shop and they had to put in a different front seal, said the original one they put in just wasn't fitting right.  So far the newest one seems to be working well.  I don't know if they ever told me what seal they ended up using but you're not alone with this issue!

MIPS:
The shop couldn't really explain because they had reassembled the yokes but they simply said that it did not fit.
I'm home now. I'm under the car and yes, unless someone is playing a sick joke this is a 129.

They said as long as I don't use 4WD much it shouldn't leak too bad but it will need to be replaced before the winter.
If anyone know what magic is going on here we'd love to know.

Illeagle1984:
My records confirm a National 3946 fit into the rear of my NP129.  I don't have a part number for the front, it must have come in the rebuild kit.

Try a different brand; I try to find Timken seals whenever I can.  Even try to order another one of the same, out of the many parts I see every week, I'd say better than 2% are wrong parts in the box.

MIPS:
I asked birdman if he could check his microfiche for the part number listed by the 129 exploded diagram but he couldn't find his folder :(

BUT!
Eaglepedia has a copy of the microfiche card. Section 25.01.1

http://amceaglesden.com/guide/Section_25,_Transfer_Case

The rear output seal is part 24 - "seal" - 83502 508 (or is that 506? The scan is blurry)
The front output seal is part 46 - "seal" - 83504 434

They're different! The rear seal cross-references to National 3946 and SKF 18662. The front seal cross-references SKF 18771.
The specifications listed by RockAuto are identical, but they do not have cross-referencing interchange numbers, so they are unique.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version