News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 20, 2024, 12:46:08 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: catelytic converter  (Read 3233 times)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
catelytic converter
« on: May 31, 2012, 04:51:15 PM »
Hey guys need some imput here! I just purchased a complete new exhaust systen including the direct fit easteren converter from rockauto. Here is the problem. The converter has the air tube on it like I was hoping but it has a cap on it. Am I to remove this cap and then reattach the air tube or leave the cap on or what. The exhaust pipe has a air tube as well but is threaded for a three eights pipe plug.Not really sure what to do here.I really want to keep this car as original as possible. All the air tubes are in great shape and all smog equipment is intact and working to the best of my knowledge. Really would prefer to keep it that way but now I confused. I emailed easteren catelytic twice now but cannot get a response from them.I be sure to purchase from them again. I kinda thought there would be some instructions with the cat but nothing. Thanks in advance.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: catelytic converter
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2012, 07:27:26 PM »
If the cat has the tube and all your emissions equipment is intact, then remove the cap and hook up the tube. It's plugged because it can be used across many different applications, but it's always more efficient with the air tube. Usually soft steel or copper and a clamp is a good connector.

Could you post a picture of the other connection? It sounds as if they just welded in a oxygen sensor bung so it could be plugged if not needed. (Say an early air-injection setup.)
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2012, 09:39:49 PM »
When I said the exhaust pipe had a air tube  fitting I was talking about the new one but the exhaust pipe on the car now has one as well and its the original exhaust pipe. Right below where it connects to the manifold there is a air tube screwed into a fitting welded onto the exhaust pipe. Now the new pipe has this same fitting except it is threaded to except a three eights pipe plug. My oxygen sensor is screwed into the exhaust manifold itself right above where the exhaust pipe connects.This air tube coming off the exhaust runs to a valve on the pass side then there is another valve which has a air tube that runs to the catelytic converter

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #3 on: June 01, 2012, 10:38:17 AM »
On the Eaglepedia it notes a 3/8 plug as well: http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Six_Cylinder

On this page it shows a clamp: http://www.amceaglenest.com/~iowaeagl/guide/index.php?title=Image:84880051.jpg

I can't seem to find a description of what is done there, but I suspect that fabbing up an end to go into the fitting and allow the rest of the tube to be clamped on is the correct method. I can't remember what I did last I messed with it.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #4 on: June 01, 2012, 12:31:26 PM »
Hey thanks for your help but I am still confused. Below one of the pictures it said to plug the fitting with a three eights pipe plug if required.I don't understand by what is meant by if required.I mean why would I want to plug it if all the system is there and working,but yet the new converter has a cap on the air tube as well. Rock auto also list the same converter without the air tube for less money so why did I buy the one with a air tube that is capped off. This whole exhaust has got me a mite confused.Ya know if I wasen't such a strictler on originalty I would just take all the smog equipment off and probably have a better running car but then again it is on there for a reason so I'll just have to work through it I guess.

Offline BenM

• Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 01, 2012, 01:31:19 PM »
Don't worry about it. The plugs and caps are to fit other vehicles; and the tube is probably capped for shipping anyway to keep dirt out.

Attach all your parts where they should go, removing the cap on the air tube. Make it look just like what you have now.
NSS#47184

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk