News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 10:27:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My taking entirely way too long Spirit  (Read 20415 times)

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • Midwest AMC Eagle Sanctuary Game Warden
Re: My taking entirely way too long Spirit
« Reply #15 on: February 13, 2010, 08:13:36 PM »
Actually I was thinking they were 6"..... can't remember now :/
Its got style... its got class...
It goes the extra mile... and still kicks @ss.
Strength. Intelligence. Beauty.
The AMC Eagle
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------
81' AMC Eagle Sx4 (My very first car, The Millennium Eagle)
82' AMC Eagle Sx4 Sport (Custom General Lee Style)
85' AMC Eagle Wagon Sport (My Daily Driver)
00' Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo (The Grocery Getter)
And a plethora of other parts cars, and future restoration projects:
80 Wagon, 82 Spirit, Two 83 SX4s, 84 Wagon, 85 Wagon and more!!

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2010, 10:32:57 PM »
my doors are being treated to a fiberglass pod, mounted to the surface but molded to it. the pods will also cover where the window crank would have come out, but the power conversion will solve that issue  ;) . i think the factory speakers are 6, but a 5.25 should work. im not 100% though, none of mine have had factory fronts. bought one with holes cut, and one with no door speakers, just the dash one with an am radio :-\

@mav, im gonna bite my teeth on the cap. i have one im debating putting in, but only for looks and the fact it has a digital voltage display on it. other than that, i think that caps are the biggest joke and bandaid fix in the car audio industry. i have this debate with alot of my customers, and i always say, if you want to have huge power, get a big fat alternator and a good battery.

caps are awesome in that they deliver a quick jolt of energy very fast. like a battery, only smaller. this is awesome for metallica, slipknot, anything with a strong double kick. but once that cap is discharged, it needs to charge again, so if you listen to somethin like rap or hip hop, with long bass, theres just one more thing to draw until the note stops and the cap can charge. however, if you decide that hey, i work in a stereo shop, caps are cheap, what the hey? throw in 3 or 4, then they help for a little longer ;D
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2010, 10:51:50 PM »
I agree man. I use the caps to stop dimming lights. I agree 100% that a bigger alternator is the best choice. You're preaching to the choir there.

The biggest pain with them is when your battery is low... and your trying to start your vehicle... just popping in the remote unlocking mechanism trigger that cap to start charging and it's annoying as heck. However, a combo of all three.... alternator, good battery with high cranking amps and a digital cap... it makes a difference.

And if you make fiberglass door panels... save your modling and make me a set too and I'll cover the cost of materials, labor and shipping for sure. I intend on doing the same, but I have so many projects... you may get to it sooner than I, lol! Hey make me some panels, and I'll make you some louvers!

I was going to mold the Eagle head into the door panels too... the same ones on the window pillars.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #18 on: February 14, 2010, 10:50:43 AM »
maybe you can trade me for some bumpers! ;D i have louvers already. but ill document my procedure for sure.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2010, 11:03:07 AM »
the plan:

losing heater assembly (car wont see winter, but i may just customize it)

Why don't you keep the heater, it won't really cost you anything in weight or space and even if you don't drive it in winter there will be lots of cool days in the spring and fall (even cool summer nights) where some warm air will be nice.

Well said priya, I took the heater fan, heater box, and all that stuff out of my AMX and blanked the firewall hole where the blower was off with mirored stainlesss.Now I can't even take it out on a day where it will foggy on the windshield.It's going back in this summer when I switch out the engine.

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2010, 02:20:32 PM »
Right 68AMXGOPAC.  Its better to have it and not need it than need it and not have it.  I'm curious as to what amcinstaller feels he would gain by taking the heater out - I can't see any conceivable advantage to doing that.

68AMXGOPAC

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2010, 09:53:55 PM »
 I actually did it because the core had a leak, then left it out because it looked like a cleaner line along the bottom of the dash on the passenger side,and it was a quick fix.I never drive it in the winter,mainly because it has no traction in snow and it's a 4 spd. , I just tied the in and out lines to the core together.But it has been an issue on several occasions with warm days cold nights and fogging.

Offline shaggimo

• Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #22 on: February 15, 2010, 11:38:50 AM »
I actually did it because the core had a leak, then left it out because it looked like a cleaner line along the bottom of the dash on the passenger side,and it was a quick fix.I never drive it in the winter,mainly because it has no traction in snow and it's a 4 spd. , I just tied the in and out lines to the core together.But it has been an issue on several occasions with warm days cold nights and fogging.

:rotfl: that's the same exact reason I took the heater asy out of my malibu,haha, but I now regret it, I can only drive my car on warm sunny days. It wouldn't be a problem except when I break my jeep, I have to rely on my car....Once I round up the parts (yes I threw the old stuff away :banghead:), I'll be reinstalling mine......Leave the heater in, the first time you get caught in a freak rain storm, you'll be glad you did.
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Offline Mavericke

• Event/Meet Coordinator
  • Thumbs Up 77
« Reply #23 on: February 15, 2010, 10:55:38 PM »
maybe you can trade me for some bumpers! ;D i have louvers already. but ill document my procedure for sure.

Deal. I have bumpers now.... they don't take alot to ship them either. Not very heavy. But I deff have some extras.
The AMC Eagle

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #24 on: February 15, 2010, 11:50:31 PM »
not the steel ones. some of those sexy fiberglass units you had on your orange sx/4! ;D

anyway, it seems my mind has been made for me, ill have to see if 90s cherokee controls will work. like the look of those better. custom box it is.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline amc78concord

• If you don't like the way I drive, stay off the sidewalk.
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 81
  • Second Place is the First Loser!
« Reply #25 on: March 02, 2011, 12:30:49 PM »
Just wondering if there is any updates on your Spirit...
-Rob
Nekoosa, WI
-82 Eagle Limited Wagon (4.0 Head Swap, Holley 4bbl Carb, Headers, MSD Ignition with Team Rush Upgrade)
-82 Eagle SX/4
-83 Eagle Limited Wagon "Woody"
-84 Eagle Wagon
-85 Eagle Wagon
-Many Others... :amc:

:duck:

Click for Nekoosa, Wisconsin Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline amcinstaller

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
« Reply #26 on: March 02, 2011, 09:22:11 PM »
thanks for asking. for the last year, ive been helping a friend of mine start up his shop and we had a not so great summer (see: wife paid most bills and i was immasculated by it). so needless to say i havent been able to afford to do much with it. but over this past winter, i was able to save up some money and grabbed this 4.0 and auto tranny off of kijiji for a decent price:

so over this summer i hope to install the 4.0, use the sr4 and amc 15, and be able to complete the last few things to make it roadworthy and be driving it by fall or next spring latest. heres the short list (and im most likely forgetting a few things):
install 4.0 (also, sell trans(not aw4). any takers? dirt cheap! came from 98 grand cherokee)
install wiring and EFI for car, including all lights and sounds
finish grille conversion
figure out clutch
brakes and suspension tune up

on another side to the story, there has also been a bit of a lineup change on the stereo end of things, for those serious bassheads who hide themselves in this forum. that big giant subwoofer i have pictured from before has been sold off, and i found out that based on how he runs equipment compared to how i run it, it really would only have lasted about 45 minutes in my car  :o  so when christmas arrived, i was blessed with this beast:

this is a digital designs 2500 series 12 inch sub. 1000watts rms, 3000 peak. should be fun  >:D

lastly worth mentioning, i also found my old brochure from a showroom of the year my car was made:
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
Red Deer, AB, Canada

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk