News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:25:00 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: winshield wiper switch  (Read 6291 times)

1980 eagle

winshield wiper switch
« on: January 31, 2008, 04:48:14 PM »
does anybody know were i can get a switch for my 1980 or what years will fit.thank you and have a great day.

Offline T5258

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 14
Re: winshield wiper switch
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2008, 05:22:47 PM »
If memory serves, any compact AMC after 1970 (Hornet, Gremlin, Concord, Spirit etc) used the same type of switch....only difference would be if equiped w/variable intermittent wipers....
1987 Eagle Limited
1985 Corvette
2009 Avalanche LT
2011 Volvo C30

remember:  no matter where you go.......there you are

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2008, 08:13:55 PM »
Yes, there are two different switches.  One for the standard 2-speed set up and one for intermittent wipers.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

82SX4

« Reply #3 on: March 18, 2011, 10:00:52 PM »
Hi there!
I read somewhere on here about the wiper switches, a parts guy said that a 1980 - 1990 full sized ford truck would work & gave the parts numbers DS-577  which costs $52      DS-577T  costs $29   thru Rock auto.
What is the difference between the two??  mine work but have one speed & you have to shut it off when they are at the bottom of the windshield or they will stop wherever. how do i know which switch i have? or can i put one w/ the 2 speed? and what about the delay that some have talked about? ??? my knob is broken on the switch but does work...
any help would be appreciated... thank u...
my new mechanic also took the old carb off & put an autolite on, took the smog stuff off....
man the car runs so much better!!! we'll see about gas mileage....
thank you for all of you help guys!!!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2011, 12:06:44 AM »
Hi there!
I read somewhere on here about the wiper switches, a parts guy said that a 1980 - 1990 full sized ford truck would work & gave the parts numbers DS-577  which costs $52      DS-577T  costs $29   thru Rock auto.
What is the difference between the two??  mine work but have one speed & you have to shut it off when they are at the bottom of the windshield or they will stop wherever. how do i know which switch i have? or can i put one w/ the 2 speed? and what about the delay that some have talked about? ??? my knob is broken on the switch but does work...
any help would be appreciated... thank u...
my new mechanic also took the old carb off & put an autolite on, took the smog stuff off....
man the car runs so much better!!! we'll see about gas mileage....
thank you for all of you help guys!!!
it is very simple to see if you have a delay wiper switch, move the switch left .... it it goes you have delay wipers, if it does not turn left then you are the proud owner of a 2 speed wiper ;D
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: March 19, 2011, 12:14:36 AM »
Hey... I know you're not asking for install advice at the moment, but I just thought I'd share my experience with changing out the switch, just so you're aware of how it can go.
I'm not sure if you have had your dash apart yet to have a good look at the install and removal process, but it can be a little widgety. When you do it make absolutely sure that none of the metal on the switch is going to touch any other metal in the vicinity! Make sure that the ground is good too, and of course disconnect your battery (obvious one).
I'm speaking from experience, I was replacing my switch (from my old parts car that I no longer have) and before putting the dash back together I decided to reconnect the battery and test it. Lets just say there were sparks, and the coating melted off of a couple of wires (burned my hand pretty good). Didn't hurt the switch luckily. I ended up using electrical tape over the metal to avoid it happening again.
Just thought I'd share my mistake so you don't make the same one. Good luck!
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: March 19, 2011, 08:59:45 PM »
A one speed system usually indicates the switch was not grounded.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #7 on: April 09, 2011, 05:15:13 PM »
I'm also having an issue with the switch/one speed.   (sorry to hijack this thread)

Mine is the intermitted switch (it goes left) but it only works on one speed.  I took out the harness between the switch and the other similar connector (with that black box), and it's still one speed.

It was grounded (at least I thought it was) but as I removed the switch to try another switch, I broke off the ground.  it still works the same way.

btw, there's a little tab in the middle of the switch - in back where it plugs in, and it's in the shape of a triangle.  I had to snap that off, to get the plug to fit in.

Now, I just tried to ground the outer casing, and nothing works, but as soon as I un-ground it, it works one speed.

Here I was gonna replace the motor (again) but what am I doing wrong?  
« Last Edit: April 09, 2011, 05:39:01 PM by Whuntmore »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk