News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:35:40 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Engine shutting down while driving  (Read 32610 times)

Offline mo.eagles

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
Re: Engine shutting down while driving
« Reply #45 on: June 12, 2015, 01:51:54 PM »
This is kind of old but I'm hoping to get more info. Nightpath, did the solenoid solve the problem? I had the same problem with the wagon I got in Arkansas . It would just shut off but restart with no problem. Running down the hiway and die . Put it in neutral at 60 and it would restart and go. Then it ran great with no issues for 2 years .Now it's acting up again. Not all the time ,maybe once a week, but it is aggravating.
'85 wagon Limited   tilt wheel , cruise control
power seats ,windows and locks
rear window washer /wiper 
tach and gauge package
A/C
 '85 wagon   power windows and locks
rear window washer/wiper
factory tow package
A/C

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #46 on: June 16, 2015, 10:40:22 AM »
I fixed mine 100% by doing a drivetrain swap ;)

Mine was the crap solenoid causing issues, and a crap battery. It was getting voltage spikes or none at all, and was killing the car repeatedly after 15 minutes of driving.

Offline elizapekai

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #47 on: August 16, 2020, 10:41:26 PM »
Hi! I have an ‘84 and it’s been doing a lot of the same things that I’m reading on here and I’m really hoping someone has a solution for me. It randomly kills at the weirdest times. I could drive 30min and it’d be fine or it would kill every block. I’ve replaced the: distributer, fuel filter, coil, starter, spark plugs, caps and rotors, abt 2yrs ago we did wires, and we even have a new battery in it. None of these have worked tho, she still kills randomly and Idk what I’m missing. Help! XD
« Last Edit: August 16, 2020, 10:42:21 PM by elizapekai »

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #48 on: August 17, 2020, 07:18:26 AM »
Might be the icu? It is mounted under the solenoid on the left fender. I replaced mine about 10-11 years ago. The wires come out upwards, it puts a bit of a strain on them and they can crack. Mine were. Finally replaced all of it with a hei.
I bought my old icu from rock auto and last I checked they still had them.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline Canoe

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 54
« Reply #49 on: August 20, 2020, 10:19:45 AM »
Hi! I have an ‘84 and it’s been doing a lot of the same things that I’m reading on here and I’m really hoping someone has a solution for me. It randomly kills at the weirdest times. I could drive 30min and it’d be fine or it would kill every block. I’ve replaced the: distributer, fuel filter, coil, starter, spark plugs, caps and rotors, abt 2yrs ago we did wires, and we even have a new battery in it. None of these have worked tho, she still kills randomly and Idk , I’m missing. Help! XD
So many things it can be. (With one of mine, it was the stock coil)
Can you describe:
- the weather when this happens (wet/dry, temp)
- how does it fail: sputters, rpm falls off to dead, or suddenly nothing from running fine, etc.

First thing I'd check is all of the wires to/from the starting solenoid, ignition module, distributor and coil.

I'm a major fan of the GM ignition module as a replacement. You supply it with full voltage (instead of the stock reduced voltage through the ballast resistor) and it manages the current to the coil if needed.

You can also upgrade to a stronger coil, but will need to upgrade the distributor cap and wires to handle the higher spark voltage.

Do check the Eaglepedia for a wealth of information
http://amceaglesden.com/guide/index.php?title=Main_Page

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk