News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 16, 2024, 02:52:43 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Recent Posts

Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
Spirit/Concord Projects / Re: AMC Sundancer 1982
« Last post by juhap on April 14, 2024, 04:14:31 PM »
Last summer I started to fix original seats.
Leather had a lot of damage. They´ve been repaired some many many years ago, and I found some leather paint too...

Frames needed cleaning and new paint. Cushions are still in good condition.

Bought a cow hyde in right color.

Co-drivers seat is leaning

There are some issues...

Oh that dirt...

Under seat everything is OK, but very dirty. I have saved some springs from previous seats jobs.
Forgot that power control unit did not work.

Power issue was fixed... wires were loose.

Drivers seat had been repaired alot, but still it needs most attention.

Someone had broken its switch. Put all parts together and... it worked as new.

Drivers seat cushion was a mess..

The other looks much better.

More issues to be fixed.

This was hiding under leather. Not so bad.

Drivers seat had a lot of rust...

Aaarrrgghh....

Have done this before, so it was an easy job. Now there is something that AMC forgot... primer.

After a days job, they all were in good condition. Just one spring replaced.

Driverseat needed a lot of attention...
Springs first. And then I fixed ends of those wires. Replaced rotten carboard twine by rubber tube...

New material...

And more... hog rings secured cushion.

And more new material.

Then it was time to remove those 4 door seats...and rotten original carpet.

Carpet was dry, but shot.

Under carper it was dry too, but there has been water...  >:D

Found the first hole... there has been a screw and rusted through...

Found more pinholes... that 2x4 beam is under there...
Added some phosporic acid to remove test of rust...

The other side had marks of that 2x4 beam too. Welding had left some burnt paint and surface rust.  :'(

Once the jack has pushed floor up...  :censored:

And after that this stopped. I could´t by any carpet material from finnish suppliers! Lower edges of front seats need Saddle color cutpile carpet.
And Auto Custom Carpet didn´t sell any if you don´t order it with a precut carpet! So... what to do? It was about christmas time, when I ordered a new carpet to my AMC Matador Coupe from ACC. And with that I could buy a piece of right material. So far, so good. My friend had a car coming to Finland, so this carpet and much more stuff began to float across the bond to us... Now that container is in Bremenhaven, Germany. We had a stike here in Finland, so containers stopped there... Do not know when I´ll get my stuff...

But Now back to the business... I had a new carpet. So today it was time to do something about that...

Made a piece of new sound mat.

Rear seat first. Found missing plugs from my parts Hornet. Painted that floor a couple of weeks ago...

New material here.

New carpet is a little curvy... It was out of its package for six months...

I had to put those 4 door Concord seats back...

And after few hours of labour, job is done.

To be continued... soon, I hope...
The Engine / Re: Lifter\Camshaft Issues
« Last post by 89 MJ on April 14, 2024, 12:57:45 PM »
thank you for the input, why the 4.0 head?

Henry

The 4.0 head flows better and I think it might have larger valves. I’ve read that it’s good for 35-40hp, but it can be tricky to get the intake manifold to work.
« Last post by win32exe on April 14, 2024, 09:27:58 AM »
thank you for the input, why the 4.0 head?

Henry
« Last post by 89 MJ on April 13, 2024, 10:44:33 PM »
I’m actually in a similar boat with my car, but I haven’t had any failures yet. For what it’s worth, here is my plan: new cam, lifters, timing set, and a 4.0 head.

To see if a valve is stuck, you should be able to push on the valve end of the rocker arm or tap it with a rubber mallet. If it doesn’t move and sounds solid, it’s stuck. If it moves and sounds kind of hollow almost, the valve is still functioning as intended.
The Engine / Lifter\Camshaft Issues
« Last post by win32exe on April 13, 2024, 11:06:46 AM »
Hi Team, My SX/4 had been recently been making a slight tapping sound and i figured it was the lifters getting tired and had planned on swapping them out soon, then driving on the highway recently this happened, (see picture) she started popping\knocking out of the carb, the #6 exhaust valve was not opening anymore, limped it off the highway and towed her home, took it apart and found the one bad lifter.

so i have a few questions...

How does the lifter get worn like that? the pushrod isn't bent, the lifter came out as easy as the rest, it wasn't stuck in the block, could it be a stuck valve, the valve looks good to the eye, seats flat, no visual bending.

Does that mean the camshaft definitely needs to be replaced?

If so what else should i do, new timing chain and gears? pushrods? rocker arms? Are these used OE parts on the engine better than replacements?

why do all the parts needs to go back to the exact position, pushrods, rockers, lifters in relation to replacing all the lifters or pushrods and\or rockers etc, none of the parts will be in the original positions, lets say two pushrods are bent, would we replace the whole set? i understand if the old parts are going back in then put them in the original position.

Head and pistons don't look too bad, but should i just drop a reman 4.0 Liter in?

I feel like i am at a crossroads

Any input is appreciated.

Henry

Off topic / Re: Retaining and Gaining Members and Moderation Help
« Last post by 89 MJ on April 10, 2024, 12:04:37 PM »

Just checking in, did you receive my PM?

I did, sorry I've been out of town for the last week.  I'll send a response today.

No worries, it was just the first PM I’ve sent here. Wanted to make sure it work alright haha
« Last post by vangremlin on April 10, 2024, 11:31:19 AM »

I did, sorry I've been out of town for the last week.  I'll send a response today.
« Last post by 89 MJ on April 07, 2024, 10:08:37 PM »
Its too bad that we are living in the decline of forums due to other social media platforms. I know that I am newer hear, but I am not new to forums. I have been over on Comanche Club for almost 6 years at this point, which has had a steady number of members in that time. This leads me to have a couple questions for the moderation team:
1. I see that lots of subforum moderators have not been active in months, if not years. Do you need help moderating? I could moderate a few subforums.
2. Is there anything that we can do to help grow the population of this site? There is way more information here than on Facebook, it just doesn't seem to get a ton of eyes on it. I have some ideas, but I don't want to be stepping on anyone's toes here either.

Hey, just wanted to get back to you on your offers.  The admins talked it over, and feel at this time we don't necessarily need to add any moderators, just because there isn't much activity that requires attention.  Second, if you have any suggestions on how to get new members, retain old members, or increase traffic on this site, we'd be glad to hear them.  It's a shame that it's so quiet here anymore, it was a very thriving community when I joined in 2008.  Thanks again for volunteering to help.

For Sale: AMC Eagles/4wd Jeeps / Re: 1980 AMC eagle sedan for sale
« Last post by Taylor on April 07, 2024, 11:11:03 AM »
Post some picture please, and include some for the undercarriage. 2 or 4 door sedan?
For Sale: AMC Eagles/4wd Jeeps / 1980 AMC eagle sedan for sale
« Last post by Hphil95 on April 06, 2024, 07:09:20 PM »
1980 AMC eagle sedan for sale in Utah, I have put a ton of work into this car and  $1,000+ in New parts and maintenance
New parts: starter, fuel pump, fuel lines, vacuum lines, PVC grommets, distributor cap, spark plugs, spark plug wires, rebuilt carburetor, battery, battery cables, battery terminals, 4 good tires, fuses
Work done/ maintenance: changed oil and filter, serviced trans and both differentials, cleaned out the gas tank, almost all new paint.
Info: The car runs and drives good, some of the plastic trim on the outside is broken and cracked, all the emblems are there, interior is in good condition no tears in the seats just a few stains, headliner fabric is missing though, all the lights work, I'm asking $2700 OR best offer, looking to sell quick as I have some things I need to pay, let me know if you are interested
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 ... 10
SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk