The Mighty 258 > General Service and Diagnosis

carter carb function

(1/5) > >>

Vgrizzw:
Need help from the den on some basic carter carb operations.  Ill preface that i lost my clutch pedal the other day and went in to replace the master, slave, hose and add a reservoir.  In the process of tear-down I came to my questions.

I removed the carb filter and housing just to notice that the butterfly was wide open and floppy like it wasn't connected....  The passenger side was in fact not hooked up to what i believe to be the choke housing (which would explain my cold start troubles) but the butterfly still didn't close on its own??  Before I dig too deep I want to make sure it isn't vacuum controlled? I also noticed a trim screw missing; one that would hit a "stepped" plastic piece that's on the butterfly linkage.

That being said the car has run good to me since i bought it a couple of months ago besides taking a few turns when she is cold and I'm also getting relatively good mpg so I haven't even thought the carb to be defective other than my choke.

carnuck:
The choke butterfly only closes all the way when the throttle is opened because the high idle screw is on a step on the side.

macdude443:
^ Right.  When you start the car cold, you push the pedal once to set the choke.  This allows the choke's bi-metallic spring to snap the butterfly shut (it hangs up on the fast idle cam, the stepped part, as the engine and choke cool).  Once the cold motor turns over and catches, engine vacuum will cause the vacuum actuator at the back of the carb to force the butterfly open to a specified clearance.  This is so the engine gets enough airflow to remain running (if not adjusted to spec this can cause an immediate stall).  As the engine warms, the choke coil opens the butterfly slowly.  The butterfly is linked to the fast idle cam and as it opens, the cam steps will step down until idle speed is reached (you must blip the throttle as it warms up to step it down).  There are two screws.  One for fast idle and one for curb idle.  The two in the front are the idle mixture screws and should not be used to set idle speed.

Vgrizzw:
Ok, I figured it might be vacuum operated. I'm missing the trim screw for the fast idle cam and the choke wasn't hooked up, but like I said the car runs good. While we're on the subject (and considering my car runs "good") is it worth while to do the 2150 swap? Could my car run even better than it does now? Mpg get even better?

mo.eagles:
With the Carter on Thing 2 I was getting about 8 mpg and it idled like crap . Put on a 2100 and doubled my mpgs . Not saying that will happen for you but I'm glad I did it . I had to make some brackets for linkage and return springs and such . ( I didn't buy the kits . Rambler mentality I guess )  If your car is already running good as you say it might just need a complete tune up . Ignition and carb .  Plenty of write ups on both .

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version