News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:40:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Summer Job!  (Read 110510 times)

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
Summer Job!
« on: June 09, 2011, 03:25:47 AM »
*Keep in mind while reading this: I (clearly)knew practically nothing about cars when I got my Eagle, but I've learned a lot along the way and know most of this thing inside and out by now ;D. Please excuse the utterly naive posts!
OK, well I ended up buying my SX/4 today, just got it home a couple hours ago! Was an all day affair, but it went pretty smoothly. Will try to get pictures up tomorrow.

So there's a long list of things that need to be done to it. Mostly small things, but still a lot. Here they are:

-Exhaust needs to be installed, have it
-wheel cylinders for rear disc brakes are leaky and need to be replaced
-brakes should be gone over to make sure they are working, probably replace lines at least
-button on shifter doesn't work, so it won't move up and down into gear correctly
-emergency brake seems to be frozen or something, but still have to fiddle with it
-driver door handle outside doesn't open door
-I think fuse for trunk release is bad, needs replaced
-needs air filter
-needs battery(was replaced by the guy, but it didn't hold a charge til we got home)
-carb could probably use a tuning, but works as is
-needs cleaned up inside & out(will do tomorrow since I can't really start much else yet)
-driver mirror is hanging off and needs to be screwed in. Screw is there, but rusted tight. Could use WD-40
-paint could use some touch ups, possibly be redone in future
-right side of front bumper and left side of rear bumper are broken/missing
-tires might be ok tread-wise, but one or more seems to be flat after pumping up
-vacuum lines should be gone over
-does not have air-conditioning installed, was removed when the engine was replaced.
-wheels aren't too pretty, definitely need a scrubbing at least
-I need to figure out how to work the seats  ;)
-eventually will need registration, inspection, and emissions

On top of these things, it does have some rust underneath. Mainly the worst parts are the floorboards on both driver and passenger sides, which should be patched/welded. Other than that it seemed pretty solid including the frame and rocker panels. I still have to check it out in better light, but I believe it's manageable.

On the up side, the radio works and sounds great  ;D Haha, but seriously, we saw it run and it had an ok idle. Like I said it could probably use a carb tuning, but it sounded good for the most part. Was even running partially on 7 year old gas, so it could get better with new gas. Should most likely have the oil changed.

I got it for $900, but it came out to about $1150 after all other expenses- gas for the trip, tow, and title transfer. Got lucky with the tow since they gave us the 4 wheel dolly for the same price as the 2 wheel at U-Haul. I was an idiot and overpaid the gentleman for the car by $100, but he actually told me when i came back to pick up the car and left it in the glove box for me. I was astonished with and grateful for his honesty, not too many people would do that nowadays! It's gonna be a lot, but I'm totally willing and can't wait to get started tomorrow!

Here is my Eagle's Album on Photobucket:
http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/
« Last Edit: January 31, 2012, 12:24:44 AM by Baskinator »
1982 AMC Eagle SX/4 (Work In Progress)

Photobucket Album: http://s1237.photobucket.com/albums/ff479/Baskinator/

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Summer Job!
« Reply #1 on: June 09, 2011, 12:33:07 PM »
Congratulation on the buy!  I'm excited to see some pictures

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #2 on: June 09, 2011, 02:43:00 PM »
My baby!

Other side

Left side

Rear end

Hood w/scrape on front

Rust bubbling on driver side SX/4 decal

Offline shaggimo

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 90
  • When "6" just won't do.......
« Reply #3 on: June 09, 2011, 03:15:02 PM »
Looks fairly decent!
88 xj cherokee- ((4)(4))2
81 malibu 4dr- Identity Crisis
81 SX4- gf's
84 Eagle 4dr sedan- it followed me home... ::)
http://www.cardomain.com/id/Oldsmoletic
CNY

Prafeston

« Reply #4 on: June 09, 2011, 07:30:33 PM »
I'll be watching this one! :)

Can't wait to see the progress!

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #5 on: June 09, 2011, 08:30:05 PM »
Well today I did a few things. I figured out what was wrong with the shifter and moved it into park. I also vacuumed, cleaned out, and washed the car. Even found the original key underneath the driver side mat in a pile of insulation! I adjusted the transfer case from underneath to manually put it in 2wd since it was in neutral for moving, but I'm not sure how it turned out since I couldn't turn the car on.

The battery needs to be charged which is why it wouldn't start I think. The engine wasn't even turning over, and some of the lights barely turned on, so it must really be dead. Hopefully it will hold a charge, I don't want to have to get a battery for it already.

I could not figure out for the life of me how to get the hood open for some reason this afternoon. I opened it this morning, but it seemed stuck after that. There's no hood release inside the car (that I could find). What I was doing was trying to squeeze the 2 levers together in the front, but they wouldn't budge. It was also extremely difficult to get my fingers under there this time. Any info on this would be greatly appreciated.

Unfortunately, today was ridiculously hot, especially with the black leather interior, so I didn't get to work as much as i could've. It also started raining about an hour and a half ago, so i lost a couple hours of daylight there. I would've done some of the other jobs, but I currently don't have any tools, including a ratchet or wrench set. My brothers have tons of them, but I don't quite yet. I really wanted to go out and get tools and parts so I could do the bigger jobs, but I don't have another car and couldn't get anyone to take me. I'm home from college for the summer, so I have plenty of time to get this running, but I really want to do it as fast as possible. Can't wait til tomorrow, hope it doesn't rain!  :-X

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #6 on: June 09, 2011, 11:31:52 PM »
WOW! both rear end caps SCORE!  I have a few blue fronts sitting here if you need one
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2011, 12:31:02 AM »
Actually Bill, I was mistaken about that. It does have them both, but only one is in good condition. The left one is pretty busted up unfortunately. I was looking at the two bumper pieces that stick out. It's also missing one in the front as well. Pretty disappointing, but oh well.

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #8 on: June 10, 2011, 12:35:36 AM »
I have a few blue fronts sitting here if you need one

Ah, just realized you said this. That would be great if you could hold one for me, I'm missing the front right endcap. Do you know if they're needed to pass inspection?

Offline 83Eagle!

• Thumbs Up 179
« Reply #9 on: June 10, 2011, 12:50:17 AM »
Looks to be a decent SX/4.  Glad that if it had to be missing an end cap it was a front one and not a rear.  Rear ones on  the SX/4s are a little scarce.
Click for La_Vista, Ne Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

"The trouble with quotes on the Internet is that you can never know if they
are genuine."

- Abraham Lincoln

1983 Eagle Wagon
2003 Saturn LW200
2007 Saturn Ion
1985 Mallard Class C motor home

After our fiasco with the Toyota Corolla I got for my wife I believe I am done with Japanese vehicles.

Dude you are preaching to a choir member that is close to becoming an AMC Minister if you know what I mean.

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #10 on: June 10, 2011, 01:14:34 AM »
Ive been looking high and low for a descent SX4 for years....They dont pop up too much anymore. Thats one lucky find as well as a great save!!!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #11 on: June 10, 2011, 01:41:24 AM »
Ive been looking high and low for a descent SX4 for years....They dont pop up too much anymore. Thats one lucky find as well as a great save!!!

Yeah, it was tough getting to and getting home, plus there was some opposition from my family, but all went smoothly and hopefully will have it up and driveable in a few weeks!

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2011, 11:58:41 AM »
There should be a hood release inside the car.  The handles commonly break on them though, so you may need pliers to pull it.  Its located on the bottom of the dash, to the right of the steering column

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2011, 03:42:45 PM »
Yeah, I thought that was it... the cable must be seized up on that because I pulled pretty hard on it and nothing happened. Will try that again soon. Just spent most of the day out getting parts and tools, but I hope it doesn't rain.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2011, 03:04:49 AM by Baskinator »

Offline Baskinator

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Limerick, PA
« Reply #14 on: June 10, 2011, 08:17:00 PM »
Ok, I got the hood open, and I also found out that the trunk release works, it just wasn't doing anything because the battery was dead. I also got the screw out of the mirror that was rusted and stripped so I could mount that on the post.

I actually got to drive the car today, just got back from taking it around the yard! Boy, was that a great, smooth, and fun ride. Even with flat tires it was better than my old car on the road! Also saw that there were a lot of hoses not connected to anything. The air filter wasn't on when I was driving, it still needs to be cleaned. Got a few more things to add to the table:
-needs oil change BADLY(along with new filter)
-needs engine mounts, the engine was moving too much at idle.
-need to figure out where all the hoses go, they are not all the same since it's a '95 Wrangler engine
-need to clean the cap off for the brake fluid, it's all rusted and dirty looking
-needs new battery cables, and probably battery
-will need spark plugs eventually
-not sure about the gauges, none of them seemed to move when I was driving

Going to take the wheels off now to check out the brakes...

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk