News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 26, 2024, 08:11:37 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: hotter weather and now surges/bucks/chugs on acceleration  (Read 3981 times)

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
hotter weather and now surges/bucks/chugs on acceleration
« on: July 15, 2015, 03:41:12 PM »
My 85 Eagle BBD started to really surge and chug when accelerating. Sometimes it will do it and sometimes it's really bad. Seems to have happended with the warmer hotter weather. All vacuum lines have NO leaks and are all new. Carb overhaul back in February. Operated great until now. New fuel pump and filters. My guess is that the choke is too lean? I have it set at 2 notches lean and the idle screws leaned as well. Timing is on, doesn't miss at idle. The stepper motor does what it should. All linkage is working as well Could it be the acceleration pump adjustment needed? It doesn't surge at steady speeds, but on highway, when stepping on it, it will chug./surge. Stumped.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
Re: hotter weather and now surges/bucks/chugs on acceleration
« Reply #1 on: July 15, 2015, 10:38:56 PM »
Hello,
     You mentioned new fuel pump and filter, my first choice too. I have found the carb settings pretty forgiving .. have you checked timing / ignition system, like coil breaking down under load..??  I made a coil to cap wire that I wrapped with about 100 turns of enamaled wire to make a transformer. Then wrapped that ball of wire with tape to protect it, but left  leads ( two wires ) from the wrapped ball of wire so I could connect small gage speaker wire to them. I ran the speaker wire into the car thru the fire wall ( found a hole ). I then connected the speaker wire to a small neon bulb being careful not to short the leads. When the car was running the coil firing induced a voltage in the wire wrapped around the main ignition wire which lit the neon bulb. As I ran the car down the road the  neon light stayed lit .. but when the ignition system failed the neon bulb went out for a second... problem ended up being the pickup in the distributor ..  anyway I'm "rambling" on .. to get to my point ..this little ckt helped me confirm the ignition as the problem.  Keep us posted .. would like to hear what you find as the cause.
                                                               Good Luck, Iron Horse :o
« Last Edit: July 15, 2015, 10:42:12 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: July 16, 2015, 02:37:30 AM »
Do you have the horseshoe connector? Temp messes with them over the years plus corrosion. I cut mine off first thing and replaced the coil with a Napa IC12SB (or IC12 which is just more expensive). Started faster and revved better.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline JayRamb

• ELLA THE EAGLE & EDWIN THE EAGLE
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 30
  • AMC passion for over 32 years. BIG advocate!
    • UPDATED!!  1967 Rambler Rebel weebly website
« Reply #3 on: July 16, 2015, 11:28:20 AM »
Do you have the horseshoe connector? Temp messes with them over the years plus corrosion. I cut mine off first thing and replaced the coil with a Napa IC12SB (or IC12 which is just more expensive). Started faster and revved better.

I have the upgraded ignitions on both my Eagle.
Jayson H.
Best HWY Mileage of 87 Eagle:  26.2 MPG

Believer in AMSOIL & Seafoam
1987 Garnet Red Eagle Wagon: 70,500 miles
1967 Rambler Rebel 4 Door 290 V8 (original family car) Marina Aqua 142K miles
1985 Eagle Wagon in Autumn Brown 74,800 miles as my daily driver
SOLD 1984 Black Eagle Limited w/Tach & gauge cluster: 245,100 miles SOLD

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #4 on: July 16, 2015, 11:33:39 AM »
Upgraded how?  If the stock style coil connector is still present (looks like a horse-shoe) they are known to get gross and become intermittent.  I bought a new coil connector from somewhere to splice in.  Costs maybe $6.  You don't have a fuel line up against a manifold or anything creating vapor?  Is your filter return port in the 12 o'clock position?  I had issues with my ignition module that caused a very bad miss/surge.  It was a brand new module from Standard Motor Products.  It would run great for a little bit and then it'd act up, badly.  They don't all just completely die when they fail.
« Last Edit: July 16, 2015, 11:35:36 AM by macdude443 »
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2015, 02:42:18 PM »
If you pull the gas cap, do you get a whooshing sound?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk