News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 04:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: stalls when put in gear  (Read 15279 times)

Offline jsherrod

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
stalls when put in gear
« on: September 08, 2012, 08:59:17 PM »
Car idles fine... put it in R of D and it stalls out unless u give it gas,,  ideas??   84 amc eagle 258
 new carb.

Offline captspillane

• The Perkiomen Eagle Sanctuary
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
Re: stalls when put in gear
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2012, 12:49:35 AM »
Totally normal for the carter. It's a very common problem that usually needs tiny adjustments seasonally. Adjust the accelerator pump and that is most likely all it will take. The accelertor pump adjustment is a tiny set screw found underneath the cover at the top of the carb. The cover can be taken off while the car is running. The set screw changes a tube in relation to a rod coming from the throttle linkage and going through the center of the tube. The accelerator pump's job is to smooth out the transistion from idle to throttle. It changes how early and how aggressive the accelerator pump will shoot gas into the carb, which is necessary to keep the fuel mixture correct at that critical moment when you stop running on the idle circuit and start running on the throttle circuit. As soon as the throttle plates move a huge rush of air comes in and a big spurt of gas is needed to keep the car from stalling.

Let the car run with the cover off in park. Push the linkage coming from the gas pedal to make the engine rev up. Do it very slowly and very quickly. If the engine RPMS start to increase, decrease, and then continue increasing your setting is wrong. The goal is to have the RPMs start at a low value and increase steadily at a consistant rate no matter how fast or slow you thrust the gas pedal.
Currently Inspected and Insured as of Jan 2013:
-1985 Eagle Station Wagon 258 T5 Stickshift
-1980 Eagle Station Wagon 258 Auto Fuel-injected with GM TBI

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5
-1981 Kammback 2.5L Iron Duke T5

Restoration Efforts Near Completion:
-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550
-1983 SX4- 4.5 MPI NSG370 (6 Speed)

Restoration Efforts Underway:
-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4
-1981 SX4- SD33T NV4500 (Turbodiesel 5 speed)

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2012, 01:13:11 AM »
Captspillane, I think you read his question wrong.  He's saying it stalls if he doesn't give it gas, therefore the accelerator pump shouldn't come into play.

jsherrod,  does it seem like it's idling slow or rough?  Does it seem to drive ok other than the stalling issue at idle?  If the idle speed is too low, when it's put in gear the additional load can be enough to stall it out.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #3 on: September 09, 2012, 08:21:20 AM »
The first place to check is for vacuum leaks. Maybe a hose disconnected or cracked when being disconnected/reconnected. Did it run right before the new carb?

Offline GRONK

• The carburetor dude
  • Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 55
    • GRONK Performance
« Reply #4 on: September 09, 2012, 09:55:42 AM »
Sounds like vacuum or timing.  Could be a manifold leak or a misrouted vac line.
"Bucket" 1983 Limited Wagon
"Tootie" 1984 Wagon
Owner - GRONK Performance

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #5 on: September 09, 2012, 11:31:02 AM »
Captspillane, I think you read his question wrong.  He's saying it stalls if he doesn't give it gas, therefore the accelerator pump shouldn't come into play.

jsherrod,  does it seem like it's idling slow or rough?  Does it seem to drive ok other than the stalling issue at idle?  If the idle speed is too low, when it's put in gear the additional load can be enough to stall it out.

I was trying to keep my response brief. I still strongly feel this is exactly the problem. He probably has a nice idle because of those little screws in the choke mechanism and throttle linkage that keep the throttle plate from fully closing. His carb probably isn't ever in idle. To actually be in idle the throttle plates have to be tight against the throttle bore with all the air and all the fuel coming in through the tiny holes and passages around the throttle plate. That's the tiny holes that the idle set screws restrict. If his carb has those screws too tight the throttle plate will be a small distance away from the side of the carb and it will behave this way.

If he fixes the accelerator pump setting he can adjust the idle correctly. Usually people use those settings too much as a bandaid for the accelerator pump problem. I've had multiple Eagles behave exactly the same way and the root of the problem was indeed the accelerator pump setting.

If your engine is idling steady and its already warmed up, and you see the choke fully open and when you look down the bore you see the throttle plates snug against the side with absolutely no space there, then you should have no problem bringing the idle RPM up until the engine accepts a load without stalling. If there was a vaccuum leak your idle wouldn't be steady even in park.

I believe engines that are not fully in idle will purr without a load even though the fuel mixture is terribly lean or rich. Its not until you put a load on the engine that the poor fuel mixture fails to produce the power it should and the engine just falls flat on its face. Totally normal for an Eagle with poor carb settings.
« Last Edit: September 09, 2012, 12:42:29 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Future Rescue Efforts- '85 Maroon SW, '87 Limited SW, '84 Limited SW, '87 4 door Sedan, '81 2 door Sedan, '88 White SW, '77 4 door Hornet, '74 2 door Hornet, '79 Spirit AMX, '81 Kammback.

RIP- Red '81 SX4, '84 4dr Sedan, '84 SW, '81 SW, '80 Spirit, '83 SW, '83 4dr Sedan

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #6 on: September 09, 2012, 12:44:24 PM »
Captspillane, I think you read his question wrong.  He's saying it stalls if he doesn't give it gas, therefore the accelerator pump shouldn't come into play.

jsherrod,  does it seem like it's idling slow or rough?  Does it seem to drive ok other than the stalling issue at idle?  If the idle speed is too low, when it's put in gear the additional load can be enough to stall it out.

I was trying to keep my response brief. I still strongly feel this is exactly the problem. He probably has a nice idle because of those little screws in the choke mechanism and throttle linkage that keep the throttle plate from fully closing. His carb probably isn't ever in idle. To actually be in idle the throttle plates have to be tight against the throttle bore with all the air and all the fuel coming in through the tiny holes and passages around the throttle plate. That's the tiny holes that the idle set screws restrict. If his carb has those screws too tight the throttle plate will be a small distance away from the side of the carb and it will behave this way.

If he fixes the accelerator pump setting he can adjust the idle correctly. Usually people use those settings too much as a bandaid for the accelerator pump problem. I've had multiple Eagles behave exactly the same way and the root of the problem was indeed the accelerator pump setting.

If your engine is idling steady and its already warmed up, and you see the choke fully open and when you look down the bore you see the throttle plates snug against the side with absolutely no space there, then you should have no problem bringing the idle RPM up until the engine accepts a load without stalling. If there was a vaccuum leak your idle wouldn't be steady even in park.

I believe engines that are not fully in idle will purr without a load even though the fuel mixture is terribly lean or rich. Its not until you put a load on the engine that the poor fuel mixture fails to produce the power it should and the engine just falls flat on its face. Totally normal for an Eagle with poor carb settings.

I can believe the carb is adjusted improperly, but try to help me understand this.  I'm not challenging your knowledge, as I believe you know these cars a lot better than I ever will, but I would like to understand so I can get my own carb issues worked out eventually.

How can it be the accelerator pump, if the problem happens before he ever touches the gas pedal?  I am more knowledgeable when it comes to the small flatslide and bsm carbs on MX bikes and quads, which I think the same basic principles apply to.  On those, the accelerator pump only works when the throttle is applied, and the harder the throttle is jabbed, the more fuel it squirts down the throat of the carb.  In my experience a non working or weak accelerator pump causes hesitation when the throttle is applied, and stalling if the throttle is jabbed hard enough, but the accelerator pumps have nothing to do with the idle circuits or choke circuits.  The idle screw settings (speed, fuel) seem to be a more likely cause to me.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2012, 10:41:05 AM »
I think either bad base gasket (never assume the PO put a new gasket in!) or the infamous torque converter issue.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2012, 06:55:48 PM »
I wrote a reply last night but it's really long. I'm trying to cut down on my huge replies. I'm still editing and trying to streamline it before posting it here.

The reason I'm so confident is because it's a problem I've had in the past. When I first started to tune my carb myself, without really knowing what I was doing, I had turned the accerator pump completely off and adjusted the carb using the screw on the throttle cable linkage to run at "low throttle" instead of "idle." (In carb terms "idle" has nothing to do with engine load, it refers to how the air and fuel route their way into the engine). The car ran great but got obnoxiously poor gas mileage. Eventually I adjusted the accelerator pump properly and backed that screw off to put the carb back to the way it was designed to work. The car didn't have the instant response it used to have but the gas mileage nearly doubled. Several times when I was experimenting the engine would sound perfect in park but then instantly stall once a load was applied. I've experienced exactly the problem he has posted here.

I suspect that if he starts with the accelerator pump and then starts adjusting the other adjustments from there he will correct the problem on his own. I suspect this because that's how I fixed it when I had the same problem. Unfortunately it took months of fiddling before I got it right.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 07:19:01 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #9 on: September 10, 2012, 08:03:06 PM »
The infamous torque converter issue.

He's talking about when the lock up torque converter locks up when it's not supposed to. I've heard of people having this problem but I've never experienced it. It would make alot of sense for your car to stall as soon as you shift out of park into drive if your lockup torque converter was locked up. I'm pretty sure your car would lurch forward, however, as if it was a stickshift car.

Here is some transmission trivia that may help you troubleshoot. You probably know that when you shift from Drive to Park a rod pushes forward in the tailshaft that fits into a notched ring to keep you from moving. I bet you didn't know that at the same time a valve opens in the valve body to allow the trans fluid to drain out of the torque converter back into the oil pan. At all times while the engine is running the oil pump is still spinning and creating oil pressure, which charges the lines inside the transmission, but the fluid flowing into the torque converter is now able to flow right back out as fast as it flows in. In contrast, when you shift from Drive to Neutral the rod obviously doesn't fit into its notch in order to allow the vehicle to remain rolling. What is less obvious is that the valve in the valve body stays closed to keep the torque converter charged up. I thought it was very interesting to know that the fluid does not drain out of the torque converter in neutral the way it does in Park. If your transmission is heavily worn it will have a severe hesitation when shifting from Park to Drive because leaky valves or low oil pressure makes it take much longer to refill the torque converter. You can choose to shift into Neutral instead of Park to prevent that hesitation.

It might also help you here to try shifting quick from Park to Neutral. A very fast shift should get you past reverse into neutral before the torque converter has a chance to refill and put a load on the engine for the moment you click past reverse on the lever. I suspect if you have a torque converter problem you will hear an audible difference or experience a stall while idling in Neutral in comparison to Park.  
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 08:17:08 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #10 on: September 10, 2012, 10:54:44 PM »
I can believe the carb is adjusted improperly, but try to help me understand this.  I'm not challenging your knowledge, as I believe you know these cars a lot better than I ever will, but I would like to understand so I can get my own carb issues worked out eventually.

How can it be the accelerator pump, if the problem happens before he ever touches the gas pedal?  I am more knowledgeable when it comes to the small flatslide and bsm carbs on MX bikes and quads, which I think the same basic principles apply to.  On those, the accelerator pump only works when the throttle is applied, and the harder the throttle is jabbed, the more fuel it squirts down the throat of the carb.  In my experience a non working or weak accelerator pump causes hesitation when the throttle is applied, and stalling if the throttle is jabbed hard enough, but the accelerator pumps have nothing to do with the idle circuits or choke circuits.  The idle screw settings (speed, fuel) seem to be a more likely cause to me.

Sorry for replying to you so late, WoodenBirdOfPrey, but I've been writing a reply to this message for two days now. I've written 10 pages so far. It's a mess of information and I'm working now to organize it and make it more concise. I’m not going to post that stuff here. I’m working to create a new thread in the “how to” section of the forum.

This is the gist of what I’ve been writing about in detail.

First thing you need to know is that usually when we say our engine “is at idle” we simply mean that there is no load on the engine. That can be very confusing because in carburetor terms “at idle” and “at throttle” simply refer to how the air and fuel get into the engine. The throttle plate is designed to touch the side of the throttle bore, completely stopping air or fuel from entering through the throttle body. When the throttle plate is up against the throttle bore there are holes above and below it. These holes lead to tubes that get closed or opened up by the pointy end of the “Idle Adjustment Screws” located at the bottom front of the carb. When your engine is “at idle” the only source of air and fuel is supposed to come through those holes. When your engine is “at throttle” the air and fuel comes to the engine through the bore of the throttle body.

Next you need to know that I've purchased several Eagles at scrap value because the owner could not get them to stop stalling. None of them had any mechanical issues. All of them had the Accelerator Pump setting massively off. There is no way to get the Carter BBD Carb to run properly until you've tackled that setting. It is critical to the BBD but inconsequential to most other carbs out there. Most people don't even know it is there. The more experience you have with other carbs the less likely you’ll pay it any mind. I blame this setting for the vast majority of Eagles sent to the scrapyard for running poorly.

I didn't know it was there either. I couldn't get my Eagles to stop stalling along with everyone else I met, including my professional mechanics. I managed to get my Eagles to run well by turning down the idle screws and a third screw at the throttle cable. Turning the third screw would make the idle RPM increase and turning down the idle screws would make it decrease back to what sounded normal. What I was actually doing was putting the carb at “low throttle” instead of “at idle.”

The Accelerator Pump shoots gas into the engine in an attempt to smooth the transition from idle to throttle. It works like the trigger of a water gun. Every time you let go of the gas pedal and push it back down it is like pulling the trigger of a water gun. The Accelerator Pump shoots gas every time you push the pedal but then it stops shooting gas until the next time you let go of the gas pedal and press it again.

If set properly your carb goes to idle when you let go of the gas pedal. The throttle plate touches the side of the throttle body and the holes above and below it are the only source of gas and air. When the gas pedal is first pushed down the throttle plate moves away from the throttle bore, letting a rush of air into the carb all at once. At exactly that moment the Accelerator Pump shoots gas to balance out the rush of air and maintain the ideal fuel-to-air ratio. Once the throttle plate has rotated just a few degrees it no longer needs assistance and the accelerator pump stops shooting gas until the next time your foot comes off the gas pedal and returns the carb to a state of idle.

If you keep the carb at “low throttle” and never let it get to idle you no longer need an Accelerator Pump. My Accelerator pump was still working properly but it wasn’t needed to smooth the transition because the carb was never reaching a state of idle. This created terrible hesitation and flooding as I drove the car. I compensated by fancy jabs of the gas pedal.

I drove it like that for a good long while. I then discovered that I could reduce the hesitations and flooding if I played with the mysterious setting hidden under the cover of the carb. I didn’t know what I was doing but I was essentially turning my Accelerator Pump off. Once I did that there was no hope of getting the carb to run right. You can adjust anything and everything else but there is no way for it to run correctly until you return that setting where it belongs.

In the course of my troubles I ran into the exact same problem posted here. The car would sound great in Park but instantly stall when put into Drive or Reverse.

I did drive the car for a long time with the BBD carburetor totally set incorrectly. I figured out how to get it to run very smoothly and to not stall. I accomplished this by essentially disabling the Idle circuit with the use of that screw at the throttle cable. The car ran great but the fuel mileage was obnoxiously low. I was getting about 16 MPG. Once I learned how to tune the carb properly along with the Accelerator Pump setting I consistently reached 25 to 27 MPG. I never had stalling or hesitation problems again. The Carter BBD was actually a very well designed carburetor that AMC relied on to make their cars marketable as economy cars. The difference was huge once I figured out how to get the BBD to work the way it was supposed to work.

I suspect the person who started this thread installed their new carb with the Accelerator Pump set incorrectly from the box. They ignored that setting and then tuned the carb to run well without it. I suspect this because it is exactly what I did and it is exactly why I've purchased so many Eagles so cheaply. Indeed I suspect the vast majority of AMC Eagle owners are driving their cars poorly tuned. The first step in fixing it is fixing the Accelerator Pump setting. Then you can back off the throttle cable screw until the engine is totally back to idle and then start the tuning process from scratch from there.

If the car ran well after it was tuned improperly and then suddenly developed this problem I suspect a minor vacuum leak compounded on top of the improper tuning. A vacuum leak introduces air into the engine. When you make a car engine idle smoothly and quietly at low throttle you usually accomplish it by leaning out the mixture with more air than fuel. If the car already is running with a poor mixture a minor vacuum leak can have devastating effect on the engine. If you have the car tuned properly a vacuum leak will not have such a drastic effect.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2012, 11:19:47 PM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #11 on: September 10, 2012, 11:55:48 PM »
Thanks for the explanation.  I'm wondering if this is part of the issues I'm having, I definitely need to check that it is indeed fully closing when the throttle is released.  There's too much that's been tampered with to trust that the person working on it fully understood what they were doing.  I'll be waiting for your how-to, I'd like to give the Carter one more chance before trying something else and losing originality.

Offline Billman

• Lurking again
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #12 on: September 11, 2012, 01:57:10 AM »
Is it done yet? I am having idle issues with mine as well( go figure) I'm wondering if my choke is supposed to open fully when in idle or stay partly closed? As it is I have to regulate the intake of air in order to get the car to idle in park. I've checked all over and can not find any vacuum leaks and have probably completely messed everything up trying to simply get the darn thing to idle. Right now I have a rubber band keeping the the choke from opening fully causing the car to die.
1982 SX/4
1983 SX/4
1983 wagonProject
1984 wagon DD
1996 Jeep
2007  Caliber
2004 Silverado

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: September 13, 2012, 09:13:52 PM »
Is it done yet? I am having idle issues with mine as well( go figure) I'm wondering if my choke is supposed to open fully when in idle or stay partly closed? As it is I have to regulate the intake of air in order to get the car to idle in park. I've checked all over and can not find any vacuum leaks and have probably completely messed everything up trying to simply get the darn thing to idle. Right now I have a rubber band keeping the the choke from opening fully causing the car to die.
It's supposed to stay part closed till warmed up then open fully. If you are in 2wd with 1 rear tire off the ground, does it stall when put into gear? If not, it's probably the torque converter. The "lurch" is so sudden that it acts like slamming on your brakes and causing stall out.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline captspillane

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 137
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2012, 11:24:45 AM »
The choke on the Carter is known for locking up improperly. It usually happens in situations similar to when you drive for a few hours at highway speed then pull over to a rest stop for 25 minutes. When you come back out the Carter carb has cooled but the engine has not. The choke will close too aggressively and prevent the car from starting until the engine has cooled off enough to need the choke. If that happens the Accelerator Pump is your friend. You can jab the gas pedal several times as if it was the trigger to a water gun. The Accelerator Pump will shoot a stream of gasoline into your intake each jab of the gas pedal. Afterwards push the gas pedal all the way to the floor and try to start it. Be ready to take your foot off the gas pedal as soon as it kicks over. This works because the choke plate is forced open by a cam in the linkage when the gas pedal is pushed all the way to the floor even if the choke is pushing full spring pressure to keep it closed. The car won't start, however, when the gas pedal is all the way to the floor unless you flood it with gas first. My family used to just push on it with a screwdriver, but that requires the hood up and with some fancy footwork you don't need to get out of the car.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2012, 09:26:29 AM by captspillane »

Minor Repairs Underway:
-1982 Eagle SX4 258 T5

-1982 SX4- 401 NV3550

-1985 SW- 4.0 MPI AX15
-1982 SX4- 4.0 AW4

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk