News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 18, 2024, 02:23:31 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Radiator drain question  (Read 5226 times)

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
Radiator drain question
« on: December 22, 2014, 02:01:15 PM »
I have been doing some maintenance on my cooling system (replacing hoses, thermostat and coolant).

Where the service manual says I should have a drain petcock (about an inch from the support bracket on the driver's side), I have a little threaded nub sticking out with a hole in the center.  I'm guessing that this is what remains of the original drain, which must have broken off.  Some vendors list a replacement petcock for the Eagle (Dorman 61150), but I don't see a way to remove the broken-off stub of the original, so I think I'm out of luck there.

On the other hand, there are two threaded plugs with 7/16 heads on them about 8 inches from each side of the radiator, along the bottom.  I was hoping I could use one of those holes for the replacement petcock, but when I remove them, no coolant comes out... they don't seem to actually connect to the interior of the radiator.

Does anyone know what those two plugs are for?  Up to now, I've been draining by removing the bottom radiator hose, but I'd rather have a real drain plug.

Thanks in advance,
John B.
« Last Edit: December 22, 2014, 02:01:45 PM by johnbendik »
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
Re: Radiator drain question
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2014, 02:11:29 PM »
hi john , does your car have a manual trans? if so those are the connections for the auto trans cooler lines. thanks gz

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2014, 04:47:21 PM »
Thanks, amcfool1, that explains it.  I've got the 5-speed.

Hmmm... so there's a little 'mini-radiator' down there that's not being used, right?  I wonder what I could use that for...

John B.
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #3 on: December 23, 2014, 02:23:16 PM »
It makes power steering fluid too warm, BUT here's a thought. Drill through the hole and you have a new drain!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2014, 03:16:47 AM »
hi john. I don't see why you can't get the old one out, it's just brass. if you can't, take rad out and take it to a rad shop, they will do it no problem. Not a bad idea to have your rad tanked, fixed, etc. around here (VA) a basic rad service costs about $90. good luck gz

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2014, 03:47:19 AM »
For $90 I'd get a new rad!
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline johnbendik

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2014, 12:22:27 PM »
amcfool1, I thought of trying to remove it, but there's very little sticking out to grab on to... only about 1/16 inch.  And that bit is just a threaded shaft.

When I look at the replacement part (Dorman 61105), there's a tall hex section for getting a wrench on, but I don't have any of that.  Frankly, I'm surprised that my original could be broken off that short and not leak.  It must be constructed differently than the Dorman part.

But I might still give it a shot with vice grips or something.

John B.
1984 Eagle Sportwagon
258 - 6 cyl
5-speed !

Online amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2014, 01:13:52 PM »
hi a new, as in brand new radiator is $249 from my local Advance Auto, so to me, spending about  $90. to have an old one boiled out, pinholes fixed, new drain, basically reconditioned is not a bad deal, but, yeah, saving money is a good thing! Happy Holidays y'all! gz

Offline byrdock

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 12:27:05 AM »
The plug in my radiator is plastic with a thumb tab to take it out. Take a look at yours to see if that's what you have, if it is you should be able to get it out with a screw extractor.
Click for Buies_Creek, NC Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline IRON HORSE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 47
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2015, 03:11:58 PM »
Hello,   

Pervious owner of my Eagle cross threaded a bolt into my drain plug hole, OUCH ! (afraid to remove) .. I just take the lower rad hose off to drain, but get ready for it  .. coolant gushes out quickly.

Regards, Iron Horse :o

« Last Edit: February 07, 2015, 05:31:01 PM by IRON HORSE »

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2015, 03:47:08 PM »
If you plan to put on new hoses, I put a small slice in mine. Otherwise, a screwdriver between the hose and rad will allow a trickle to come out.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2015, 03:53:20 PM »
Yes, mine is stripped too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk