News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 10:40:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Straight Axle  (Read 53420 times)

Offline Gil-SX4

• International Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 77
  • December-2003
Re: Straight Axle
« Reply #15 on: February 26, 2008, 12:02:15 AM »
Mick like allways Great Job.
That looks like a set up that would not be to hard to make in kit form, for us design impare and no talent to fabricate parts.
Rick Perry President of The Republic Of Texas,
Wants You.
Enlist in the Texas Arm Forces.

"I pledge allegiance to the Flag of the United States of America, and to the Republic for which it stands:
     one Nation under God, indivisible, With Liberty and Justice for all."

"Honor the Texas flag; I pledge allegiance to thee, Texas, one and indivisible."

"The strongest reason for the people to retain the right to keep and bear arms is, as a last resort, to protect themselves against tyranny in government." --Thomas Jefferson

1983 AMC Eagle SX/4
1985 Chevrolet C-10 Silverado
1995 Ford Aspire
1978 Ford Bronco

Murphy's Law
"If there are two or more ways to do something, and one of those ways can result in a catastrophe, then someone will do it".

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #16 on: February 26, 2008, 10:51:22 AM »
Thanks for the compliments guys!

I thought offering this as a kit would be impossible with the whole moving the steering box issue.  But once that was done the rest was not so bad.  It may be possible to offer a kit with everything, but as you can see welding is necessary.  Once I get some mileage and abuse on this setup I will consider offering a kit. 

One person is possibly driving their SX/4 to me and assisting me with doing the same to their car.
ALMOST A Jeep THING...EVEN I DON'T UNDERSTAND

80SpiritGT

« Reply #17 on: February 26, 2008, 12:01:59 PM »
I'm game whenever you decide to offer the kit. My best bud wants a kit too but he may have money probs (I may have one other interested party as well). I'm lucky, I already have the axles....

I have a certified welder to help me on 'big' jobs. He works for beer and does excellent work. I do exhaust and general welding but I stink compared to him.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #18 on: February 26, 2008, 12:28:28 PM »
Sounds good.  I'm headed to Moab early June, so it will see some good testing.  If the other person does the swap there will be 2 put through the wringer.

80SpiritGT

« Reply #19 on: February 26, 2008, 12:38:12 PM »
Don't forget your camera!!!

;D

Offline rmedon

• Thumbs Up 33
« Reply #20 on: February 26, 2008, 12:45:42 PM »
Very nice!
Rich Medon

1983 AMC Eagle 4d sedan
1976 Ford Mustang Cobra II
2005 Ford F150
1999 HD Electraglide Ultra Classic
1999 Buell Thunderbolt
2007 HD Patriot Edition Superglide Custom

Help the Shelter Pets, click often at www.theanimalrescuesite.com

Offline madsyentist

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 6
« Reply #21 on: February 26, 2008, 06:18:39 PM »
Mick, were you talking about me as the person who was going to drive the SX/4 out there? If so, you can still count on that. (I'm the guy from Chicago who used to live by Kildeer.) Well, I may not be driving it out any more, but it will get there somehow. I know that we were talking about doing the mod in February, but my car got hung up in someone's garage for about 4 months--jerkface kept saying he'd do some body work...ended up only wasting my time. But anyway.

I  just got a new job, which is why I can't take the time off to drive it up--but because of my new job, I have the money for a transporter and for the swap.

I'm having the floorboards cut out in the next few weeks (and replaced) and also having the whole thing painted black (it's already debadged). I'm hoping to have it ready for you by the end of March. I'm guessing by then you'll have learned even more about the swap that you just finished up on.

The new 4.0L that I was running really well (except for the white smoke which I can't figure out).

So far the Beast (which is what my girlfriend refers to it as) has the following (it's an '83 SX/4):

Remanned 4.0L
CTR Performance HEI
Motorcraft 2100
Headers
Alumunum valve cover
No vacuum tubes anywhere

After next month:
From red to black
Dechromed
All rust cut and patched (body is fine, just rotten floors)

After Mick:
Swap in 229 transfer case
Two solid axles
Disc brakes all the way around
6-inch lift
30-inch tires

Down the road:
Roof rack for tire
Custom brush guard

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2008, 06:57:59 PM »
Sounds good, I tried to call you when I was in Chicago, but didn't hear back from you.  End of March, early April sounds good to me!

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #23 on: February 29, 2008, 10:35:56 AM »
Well here it is basically all done.  Few little things yet to do.  I drove it around, last night acroos town and then again this morning.  It is a real joy to drive.  I have yet to have it aligned, and to be honest, I may not.  It drives flawlessly.  It does not pull to either side, the steering wheel is straight, and has no bump steer.  I set the toe, and used a plumb to locate the axle and I think it's REAL close.  I have to do some mods to get the front driveshaft in.  Hope to have that done this weekend.

HERE SHE IS!

I'll have some action/flex pics soon!

80SpiritGT

« Reply #24 on: February 29, 2008, 11:19:20 AM »
I second that!! I have to do this conversion I can't live without it. I cannot die a happy man untill I own a lifted, soild front axle Eagle!!!!

Offline Petr

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
  • Eagle 1980 Sport Wagon
« Reply #25 on: February 29, 2008, 12:05:43 PM »
One of the most beautifull "modified" Eagles I have ever seen.
Eagle Sport Wagon 1980
Suzuki Grand Vitara 2007

Click for Praha, Česko Forecast" height="90" width="160     

Let's train the new generation. While we are getting old, let's train our drivers for our future !

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #26 on: February 29, 2008, 12:24:06 PM »
All I can say is, WOW!
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #27 on: February 29, 2008, 12:55:49 PM »
Right on Mick!

That things sweeeet.

What do you have to do to the front driveshaft?

So you did the blocks in the rear?

-Josh

Because the axle is abit farther forward and the obvious amount of lift the front shaft is about 3" short.  I'll also have to notch the transmission x/member like I did with the Green car.

Yep, the rear is blocks of the 4" variety for now.  I would have to say this is a true 6" lift because the rear already had a 2" AAL, the front is probably 6-7".  Man I can't wait till I have some 31's on it!  The 3.55 gears with the 30" tires is a huge improvement in acceleration compared to the 2.73's and 26's.

Offline mick

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 46
« Reply #28 on: March 08, 2008, 05:28:19 PM »
Flex pics.  I have yet to see a rig with open diffs max this tiny ramp out yet.  Most open diff rigs make it about 1/2 way.  I believe I could go father if thare was any ramp left.

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #29 on: March 08, 2008, 06:13:12 PM »
Holy Crap!!!   :o

That is awesome!!!!   ;D

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk