News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 19, 2024, 06:22:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: rocker repair- jack points do you need them?  (Read 2925 times)

Offline runs.like

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 7
  • long trips are not yet advised.
rocker repair- jack points do you need them?
« on: March 27, 2011, 10:34:39 PM »
so i've got a few holes in the old rocker panels, specifically right at the jack points. the jack point reinforcements are not much but crispy wafers that need to be removed (and replaced?.)  it seems as the though at the bottom the jack pints are attached to the the outer rockers and I can't figure out exactly how to re attach them to the new rockers i will be welding in and whether or not i need them - theres plently of other places to set a jack, right??? do the jack point reinforcement do anything else structurally for the car?? assuming they do, are they set first and then attached to the outer rocker with a few plug welds from underneath? 
thanks.
1970 Mercedes 250
1988 Eagle Wagon
1989 Chevy C1500

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
Re: rocker repair- jack points do you need them?
« Reply #1 on: March 28, 2011, 12:47:18 PM »
are they set first and then attached to the outer rocker with a few plug welds from underneath?  
thanks.

That's how I did it.  With the outer rocker off I welded the jack point reinforcement to the horizontal part of the inner rocker/door sill.  Then I put some weld through primer on the outer rocker and while the paint was still fresh pushed it into place and against the jack point reinforcement.  This left an impression in the paint where the jack point reinforcement hit, then I drilled two 1/4" (5/16?, can't remember) holes in the outer rocker where the jack point reinforcement contacts the outer rocker.  Then weld the outer rocker in place and lastly go underneath and plug weld the jack point reinforcement through the two holes you drilled in the outer rocker.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 02:03:33 PM by priya »

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: March 28, 2011, 01:59:32 PM »

HI    the cut outs were used at the factory to weld the two peaces together in the welding fixture ..
            before they go to assembly line..had that job had to run 450 an hour long day .......Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline maximus7001

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • Winnipeg, Canada
« Reply #3 on: March 28, 2011, 06:53:34 PM »
Those jack points are a leftover from the Hornet. They did get used for the Concord and were functional (when the cars were new). But as far as an Eagle goes they are redundant since the car did not come with a jack to be used on the points because of the higher ground clearance.

About 10 years ago I bought a set of 215/60R14 sport tires from walmart for my Concord and they put the car up on the hoist with the jacking points. This crushed the points in really far and I had to go after them for an insurance settlement.
« Last Edit: March 28, 2011, 06:57:56 PM by maximus7001 »
1968 Javelin SST 290
1981 Concord DL sedan, vintage red metallic (now parts car)
1985 Eagle wagon, same colour as the concord (project car/daily driver)
1997 GMC Safari SLT AWD (full time 4x4) G-80 LSD

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: March 28, 2011, 07:21:11 PM »
I here what your saying.  Eagles are lifted at bumper ends. However they are unibodies so everything is structurally important.

Manitowoc WI

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk