News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 10:59:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Are A904 & A998 non-lockup torque converters interchangable?  (Read 2452 times)

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
Are A904 & A998 non-lockup torque converters interchangable?
« on: March 08, 2018, 02:38:40 PM »
Hi,

I wrote this post up last night, but don't see it in my history, so sorry if it's a duplicate.  I was wondering if a 10.75" non-lockup torque converter from a mid-70's, AMC-patterned A904 will work with a non-lockup A998.  Does anyone know for certain whether this will or will not work?
« Last Edit: March 08, 2018, 02:39:34 PM by knobbler »

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
Re: Are A904 & A998 non-lockup torque converters interchangable?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 02:54:08 PM »
an A998 is just a beefier A904 if the torque converter seats all the way on the shaft and engages the pump drive I don't know why it wouldn't work
but also don't know from experience

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 08:35:13 PM »
Pretty certain i did just this from a concord into a eagle. I just am not certain on the concord year.  79 i think

Manitowoc WI

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #3 on: March 08, 2018, 09:19:26 PM »
Nice!  I want to say that the TC I've got was from a '71 Hornet, though I'm not entirely certain. I got it with a couple 904s that I picked up as cores for my Gremlin, but the guy I got them from didn't have too many details to share.   My thoughts are that it should interchange fine, but I'm not a TorqueFlite expert but any means, haha.

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #4 on: March 09, 2018, 09:29:44 PM »
A 71 is going to have a Borg Warner transmission, not a Torqueflite.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline knobbler

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2018, 01:53:21 AM »
Right you are!  Looks like I had a typo- I believe it was a '74, not a '71.  I've been chasing some non-trans issues with the wagon lately, but I'll give the Hornet converter a shot if it ends up looking like the old TC needs to go and report the results.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk