News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 21, 2024, 04:11:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Driveline vibration: rear brake drums and shoes  (Read 4183 times)

Offline Jurjen

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 168
  • Dutch Eagle Preservation Front
Driveline vibration: rear brake drums and shoes
« on: May 15, 2011, 05:58:45 AM »
Some of us have drive line vibration and the most common causes are:

- unbalanced tires.
- brake drum lost its balancing weight.
- dented unbalanced drive shaft
- sloppy transmission mounting
- universal joint problems
- rear wheel bearings
- wear in the rear differential.

I have checked all these items, everything was OK, but I still had a little vibration above 60mph.
This year before the yearly inspection I wanted to give the emergency brake cables a good grease job.
I dismantled the rear brakes and noticed that, after removing the three little retainer screws, the drums were hard to remove. 
This is caused by the brake shoes: there is wear inside the drums, but a small rusty "ridge" of material is left and
the drum is "clamping" over the brake shoes. To make removing the drums easier next time, I removed the ridge with a course round file.
After assembly I took it for a test ride and the driveline vibration is gone!
My theory is that the brake shoes are normally scraping this "ridge" , turning it into a vibration above 60mph.
I just wanted to share this information.

"sparrows fly in flocks, eagles fly alone"

Eagle Wagon Limited 1983, Citroen C-Crosser 2010, Triumph Bonneville 1969, Yamaha XJR1300 1999, Yamaha TX750 1973

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Tf0jpiW6tRI

Click for Leeuwarden, Netherlands Forecast" height="90" width="160

eaglesx4

Re: Driveline vibration: rear brake drums and shoes
« Reply #1 on: May 15, 2011, 07:22:24 AM »
I had the same thing happen in 2007.  I had forgotten about that one.  One of the techs where I worked kept telling me it was the brakes and I disagreed.  After a few weeks of this, I gave him the car and told him to fix it.  Vibration was gone and it was in the rear.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 477
« Reply #2 on: May 15, 2011, 10:13:49 AM »
Same thing happened to me a few years back.  Brake job cured it too.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

A-A EAGLE

« Reply #3 on: May 15, 2011, 01:28:56 PM »
Hey Jurjen,

The Dutch are doing well with all thoose good tips andt tricks!

Anjo
Holland

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #4 on: May 26, 2011, 08:13:02 PM »
Some of us have drive line vibration and the most common causes are:

- unbalanced tires.
- brake drum lost its balancing weight.
- dented unbalanced drive shaft
- sloppy transmission mounting
- universal joint problems
- rear wheel bearings
- wear in the rear differential.

I have checked all these items, everything was OK, but I still had a little vibration above 60mph.
This year before the yearly inspection I wanted to give the emergency brake cables a good grease job.
I dismantled the rear brakes and noticed that, after removing the three little retainer screws, the drums were hard to remove. 
This is caused by the brake shoes: there is wear inside the drums, but a small rusty "ridge" of material is left and
the drum is "clamping" over the brake shoes. To make removing the drums easier next time, I removed the ridge with a course round file.
After assembly I took it for a test ride and the driveline vibration is gone!
My theory is that the brake shoes are normally scraping this "ridge" , turning it into a vibration above 60mph.
I just wanted to share this information.

Keep in mind that drums also have a minimum thickness and if you are developing a ridge it means they may not be machinable.... thanks for the tip also :)
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk