News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 07, 2024, 01:03:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fair asking price for an eagle that doesn't run with some issues?  (Read 1881 times)

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
I've got an '88 Eagle that I bought for $1,500 that has some issues.

1) Currently doesn't run, overheated, head is probably warped. It starts and idles but one cylinder isn't firing and it's backfiring out of the carb. Probably an easy fix, I just don't have time.
2) Steering column needs to be replaced. Can jiggle it up and down, side to side. Has locked on me during a turn once.
3) Paint is peeling, various dings, pretty typical stuff.
4) Wood grain is faded and looks awful.

THE GOOD:

1) Brand new Goodyear Wranglers. Rub a little bit in the back when offroading.
2) Brand new fuel pump.
3) Brand new radiator and hoses.
4) Interior is complete and in surprisingly good shape. Typical headliner sag.
5) Rear is locked, car is a beast off road.

Tires, of course, were $400. Radiator was somewhere around $200 if I remember correctly.

tougeagle has seen the car, maybe he'd know the answer to this question. Not really sure what to do with it, I want to fix it but I have so many other priorities, like my Javelin, that I'm not sure I can spare the cash to get it where I want it. Just wondering what would be fair to list it at given these issues.

Dan

Offline NoCoEagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
Re: Fair asking price for an eagle that doesn't run with some issues?
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2011, 07:00:25 AM »
To add to my question: Would it be worth MORE if I started bodywork on it? i.e. tried to sell it primered rather than as it sits, after fixing dings and whatnot?

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #2 on: May 02, 2011, 10:13:29 AM »
IMHO, it would be worth more if the mechanical issues were fixed. A driveable car usually sells itself better ;)

(although I guess that if it was driveable you wouldn't be selling it anymore)...

As a buyer, I wouldn't worry about body issues (as long as they don't involve a rotten frame or bad rust in vital spots), while I'd worry A LOT about a seized (or going to seize) engine. Sometimes I spent way too much money on driveable rust buckets, but I never bought a non-moving car, unless it was a very very (I mean really) good deal.
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #3 on: May 02, 2011, 10:32:47 AM »
To be perfectly honest, since the car doesn't run and with the lower control arm and steering issue, I wouldn't give more than a few hundred for it if I were an interested buyer. There is a junkyard up there with some eagles in the yard, who could sell you a good running 258 that comps out around 120something psi. I've been to that yard before. They'd probably sell you a near complete engine for 300 bucks. They have six eagles in the yard, more than enough to grab a few other parts as well. I know you don't want to put any additional money into it, but if it doesn't run, it will sell, if at all, for far less than you paid for it. It's called 4x4 offroad used parts, or something like that, it's on the north end of town.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk