News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:21:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works  (Read 60506 times)

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Re: My long awaited Eagle - A project in the works
« Reply #15 on: October 15, 2011, 01:41:58 PM »
looks pretty sweet id like to find one as a project! on a different note does anyone know if that gauge cluster and console (if one could be found) would work in an 85 sedan???? i think it makes the interior look really nice!
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #16 on: October 15, 2011, 02:11:45 PM »
Also there are two different consoles.One for the automatic and another one for the manual cars. But yes they will fit. Might want to place a post in the parts wanted section.I am sure there are several members on here that have one that they would be willing to sell. Also watch the big auction site.There on there from time to time.I believe there is one on there now!!
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline big_iron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #17 on: October 15, 2011, 02:44:56 PM »
im sure i can fab a bracket to mount them and i dont even care if it actually works i just think it looks cool and makes it look less empty lol
mixed martial artist are like pit bulls. were highly trained and bred to protect our family, our property, and ourselves. But when someone rattles the cage and gets bit they aim to put us down like their stupidity is our fault. I am a cage fighter, does that mean i want to hurt you outside the cage? No. will i stand there and let you beat me because im trained to fight inside the cage? No. If you pick a fight i will defend my self, regardless of my training or your lack of. if you get hurt i may feel bad but in the end the fault is yours. If your to stupid not to start something you cant finish the i suggest you stay on the porch.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #18 on: October 15, 2011, 03:13:49 PM »
Also there are two different consoles.One for the automatic and another one for the manual cars.

Are you sure about that? I thought the difference was in the shifters not the console.

I forget exactly. I beleive rounded corners to square corners for the shifter cut out.

Manitowoc WI

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #19 on: October 15, 2011, 03:46:13 PM »
im sure i can fab a bracket to mount them and i dont even care if it actually works i just think it looks cool and makes it look less empty lol
i put a black console in my wagon and I didn't make any brackets, once it is in there it is pretty secure cause the package tray and the shifter hold it pretty stout
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #20 on: October 15, 2011, 04:29:33 PM »
Just sayng I seen both auto and manual. Heres a manual.

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #21 on: October 15, 2011, 04:32:46 PM »
Auto

Manitowoc WI

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #22 on: October 16, 2011, 01:23:52 AM »
Thats a great project car ya got there. Rust can be a death sentence for theses things but it looks like you took you got that issue under control right off the bat....That car has a ton of potential ....I look foward to following this thread.....Egg-cellent save by the way!
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline shanebo

• Without "me" its just "aweso"
  • Thumbs Up 71
  • 80's chicks are the hottest!
« Reply #23 on: October 16, 2011, 01:28:00 AM »
Heres a link where you can get replacement carpet when the time comes. http://www.auto-interior.com/amc3.htm#Eagle
AMC, serving up heaping helpings of AWESOME since 1954

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #24 on: October 16, 2011, 02:06:08 AM »
Thats a great project car ya got there. Rust can be a death sentence for theses things but it looks like you took you got that issue under control right off the bat....That car has a ton of potential ....I look foward to following this thread.....Egg-cellent save by the way!

Most of it is fine aside from that hole near the door sill.  There is a hole just in front of that tire as well.  That's the first thing that needs correcting.  I plan to use Waxoyl rust inhibitor fogging spray and shoot it into the rockers, doors and frame rails.  Then, if I'm reading it right, I can put Waxoyl hardwax(?) in there over it.  I'll inspect it better when the bad metal is cut out.  When I removed the plastic moulding a bunch of damp sandy dirt fell out.  Luckily both outer rockers are perfectly intact.  The only major rust issue is that hole so far.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #25 on: October 16, 2011, 02:27:20 AM »
Heres a link where you can get replacement carpet when the time comes. http://www.auto-interior.com/amc3.htm#Eagle

That's where I was planning to get it.  I've heard good things.

Also, what do you guys think of this product?  Looks like it's intended for my purpose.  Or would the Waxoyl inhibitor be better?  http://www.eastwood.com/review/product/list/id/5183/category/26/
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #26 on: December 05, 2011, 12:16:13 PM »
With the little amount of time I've had to work on it, the floor patching is complete and I've began to remove the remaining surface rust before priming.  There is some slight pitting on the driver's side near the shifter.  I decided, after reading so many good things, to use the Klean Strip Phosphoric Prep & Etch to remove the surface rust.  I tried it on some tools and it took the rust right off.  It is sprayed on, worked in with steel wool, and then washed off with soapy water.  It looks as though the rust has been removed from the pits, they are more of a dark grey color now rather than brown.  Is it ok to prime it at this point?  It doesn't seem as though I can get any more brown rust off the surface.

I am using Spray Max 2K aerosol epoxy primer with Eastwood brushable seam sealer to follow, before paint.
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Offline priya

• Premium Member
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 133
« Reply #27 on: December 05, 2011, 05:23:19 PM »
I think you're good to prime after you've applied the phosophoric acid and washed afterwards.  It may not be necessary but I like to use an etching primer at this point anyway.

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #28 on: December 06, 2011, 03:23:10 PM »
Great.  I'll clean up any oil residue with some citrus degreaser and put on the prime coat.  Thanks!
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

Prafeston

« Reply #29 on: December 06, 2011, 04:35:46 PM »
Can't wait to see more from this. Great project you have here. Eggs!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk