News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 11:21:17 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: '88 Wagon rehab  (Read 14908 times)

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
'88 Wagon rehab
« on: December 07, 2014, 03:32:43 PM »
I bought my dark blue Eagle wagon this summer on ebay and worked on it all summer and fall.  It had been stored for 15-18 years and the previous owner bought it from that estate.  I replaced the ball joints upper and lower both sides, all the tie rod ends and sleeves, the strut arm bushings and steering stablizer.  I had the rear brake lines redone and the exhaust from the cat back replaced and rebuilt the carb.  The drivers side door handle didn't work and the back door was stuck shut.  I found a door handle and some parts in a local salvage yard and got the back door unstuck.  I replace two well nuts for the roof rack and put in an addco front anti sway bar and bought a rear anti sway bar but haven't installed it yet.  The transmission lines leak and it shifts late and the transfer case doesn't engage so that will hopefully be next on the list along with some new tires and go through the vacuum lines.  It could use new springs and bushings and the headliner needs redone.  Looking for optional upgrade items to enhance it and replace the few missing items.  Overall it's a good old bird.
Nate
1988 AMC Eagle Wagon, dark blue metallic, blue interior

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
Re: '88 Wagon rehab
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:27:56 PM »
Good luck on the restoration and keep us posted on the progress!!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 06:48:18 PM »
Pics! Pics! We need pics!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: December 10, 2014, 06:39:11 PM »
I'll get some pictures put up soon.  I remembered some of the other things I worked on over the summer.  The previous owner had replace the radiator and bought a water pump, thermostat and heater core, along with front and rear shocks that all came with the Eagle when i bought it.  I did the shocks and put in the thermostat and water pump just because they were new and saved the heater core for later because I didn't want to take the dash all apart.  I also got a new heater valve and did that too.  well shortly after that I ran her in the driveway and she over heated.  after doing some research I checked the part number for the water pump and sure enough it was for the serpentine set up and was the wrong one.  so I put the old one back on and that fixed that.  As it got colder and I tried the heat I found the heater box is full of mouse nest and I should have done the heater core just to clean it out.  it also didn't seem hot enough so I checked the part # one the stat box it its a 180 degree so I'll need to swap that out for a 195.  So when you get a good deal on an Eagle plus parts, double check your part numbers .  Well more update as progress is made or as I remember more of what I worked on already
Nate

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: December 10, 2014, 06:47:41 PM »
That 180* thermostat should be enough. Incorrect for the car but......anyway try burping the heater core, it might be half airlocked.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #5 on: December 10, 2014, 06:54:46 PM »
Here she is when my wife and I picked the her up

And the first test drive before I started rebuilding the front end

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #6 on: December 10, 2014, 07:33:23 PM »
If you have a 180 degree thermostat and its not hot enough I believe I'd have a look at your pressure cap on the radiator and have it tested to be sure it holds pressure and how many pounds pressure it is. If that's okay then how's the radiator? Does it need to be flushed and of course the heater core itself could be plugged or partially plugged. I have a new thirteen pound radiator cap a new heater core a flushed radiator and a new heater control valve on my Eagle with a 180 degree thermostat and it will run you out.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline Amc1320

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 48
« Reply #7 on: December 10, 2014, 09:28:41 PM »
Nice looking wagon! Love the black
Rob c
84 Eagle Limited Wagon (driven everyday)
81 Eagle Kammback
81 Spirit (undergoing surgery)
83 Spirit (parts car giving it all to keep the rest going)
Manchester, TN

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 01:15:57 PM »
I think the main thing with the heat is just a plugged up heater box but I have a new core I'll put in  at that time and I just would rather the proper thermostat while I'm at it.  I've been looking for a coolant system bleeding kit to get the air out but haven't been able to find one locally.  The radiator is new and the cap and heater control valve too.  So i think with a new heater core and some airflow it will make a vast difference.

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 01:19:16 PM »
If you want to bleed the air out, you can remove the hose clamp from the upper hose on the heater core, and pull back just a little bit on that hose while the car is running until some coolant runs out, then put the hose back on.  That'll get all the air out of the system!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #10 on: May 03, 2015, 02:57:05 PM »
Well it has been a while since I did an update.  I don't know if I can recall all that I've done since my last up date but here I go.  I had the leaky transmission lines replaced and the kickdown repaired and adjusted but could use a new kick down linkage if anyone has one or I'll just keep an eye out in the salvage yards.  I had one of the wheel bearings replaced and ordered a new pitman arm and Idler arm and will replace them soon, steering is a bit sloppy.  now that its warm the suspension is noisier.  I cleaned the idle air tubes in the carb and replaced the choke thermostat and some vacuum lines and she runs pretty doggone good now.  the rear wiper has stopped working but I haven't checked that out yet.  I replace all the headlight adjusting screws but for one high beam and then that one went bad and shines crooked. I found a hood cable with an intact hood pull in a salvage yard and a few spare door pulls last summer and can't wait to get back to grab a front skid plate and tow hitch this spring.
thats some of my Eagle related news.
Nate

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #11 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:00 AM »
oh and new tires that I don't have to air up every other day.  I want to grab a set of steel wheels w/hub caps for snow tires next time  i'm at a salvage yard.  I had the 4wheeel drive checked out lat time it was in the shop and the transfercase shifter is locked up but the vacuum system is good, how about that. 
Nate

Offline Newgenerationamcer

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • AMC till the day I die
« Reply #12 on: May 04, 2015, 10:16:49 AM »
Hey we have the same year and color eagle

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #13 on: May 05, 2015, 08:34:21 AM »
I sow another 1988 blue eagle for sale locally that I wanted to get so bad he was only asking 1000 for it.  It didn't have the rear wiper but it was same exterior and interior  and it ran and drove.  but I didn't have any money :(  Still kicking my self over this one
nate

Offline Nate Campbell

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #14 on: April 30, 2016, 11:07:02 AM »
Wow! It's been almost a year since my last update, mostly because not much has happened.  I rode the motorcycle last summer and didn't register the eagle or use it during the winter. This spring however I got the pitman arm and idler arm replaced and boy does she handle much better.  Still haven't made it back to the salvage yard for parts but it's the perfect time of year for that. Glad to be back soaring in the eagle

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk