News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:04:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Stalling when accelerating problem  (Read 2805 times)

Offline 88-AMC-Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Stalling when accelerating problem
« on: December 03, 2011, 05:14:35 PM »
I will be selling my 87 Eagle soon so I decided to remove the NOS carb I put on 4 years ago and put the old carb back on after cleaning & rebuilding it. Ran great with the NOS carb but doesn't run so good with the rebuilt one. When I put it in gear and accelerate it stalls. When I look down the throat the stepper motor pin thinge does not move. checked all vacuum hoses and they are all connected. Made lots of internal and external adjustments and nothing seems to work. Any ideas?

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
Re: Stalling when accelerating problem
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2011, 06:53:11 PM »
If the carb has 4 years on it then it is really just  used carb and removing it may cost you more than leaving it on. It's pretty hard to sell a crappy running car and sellers will either walk away or offer a lot less. Sounds like you got your money out of it anyway. Just a thought. I have seen those stepper motors sold separately but can't remember what they cost.

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #2 on: December 04, 2011, 12:09:55 PM »
Sounds like the metering rods are set too far down.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline 88-AMC-Eagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #3 on: December 04, 2011, 04:42:54 PM »
Readjusted the metering rods. Still same problem. Could adjusting the float level solve the problem? I did do this as outlined in my carb kit instructions. Remember having to adjust the float a fair amount. I think I did it correctly but maybe a higher fuel level could fix the problem.  Any thoughts?

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #4 on: December 04, 2011, 09:24:36 PM »
Possibly. Or it could be the needle/seat were squished a bit?
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk