News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:16:43 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Yup....inner rocker rot....  (Read 8071 times)

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
Yup....inner rocker rot....
« on: November 03, 2014, 11:37:06 AM »
Hokay....now that I've said I'm back, the questions start :) I'm trying to decide how to tackle the inner rockers before I finish with the exhaust....just so I'm ready.....

Problem: Inner rockes have some rot....as in holes resembling fine Victorian lace, but with less structural integrity. (not quite that bad but close....I'll try to get some pics as soon as I can convince myself to go lay in the snow to take them). I haven't pulled the carpet for quite a while, but I think it isn't TOO awful under there...perhaps a teensy bit soft in spots, but no holes. We need to use the Eagle this winter to get around. It has to pass inspection, I think the guys I go to are...um.....not dishonest, but will let some things slide....though the rockers are too much I'm guessing. I want to get the car undercoated to slow down any rust spots we can't get to, or don't know about just yet so the car will last through the salt and snow without falling apart by January. We are also on a really tight budget (yeah.....) and neither hubby or I can weld (yet), we do have a couple of friends who know how, but I don't know how skilled they are.

What I'm looking for: cheapest, quickest, easiest solution to get those rockers through the winter, and preferably not cause 10x more work if something more extreme needs to be done down the road, can't handle a temp fix that will do irreparable damage in the long run.(not asking much am I lol.....). I know that the worthwhile options will require welding....but the lower the welding skill required the better!

So.....options I'm looking at so far....and yes, I'm reaching: Metal patch, could be some awkward cutting, but doable (what thickness is best?. Box steel and just cut the darn thing outta there and weld a new one in (I kind of like the structural bonus of this...was considering it for a while). Or, cross my fingers, hope it passes and if it does just undercoat and pray (won't work will it lol). Someone suggested bondo just to get through the winter (or until a cash windfall, whichever comes first), but I'm really reluctant to go that route. The temperature doesn't help that option either.

I had one suggestion, that I'm only going to share because it gave me a good giggle: Spray rust check, then use the holes to fill the inner rocker with monofoam and cover it with rubber-rock guard. Gotta say, as unlikely as that is to be kosher....the simplicity is almost attractive lol.

Anyway, considering what I'm looking for/need for this repair....what is your thoughts on the easiest AND most cost effective way to go that won't cause problems for me.I'll try to get some pictures a little later today and add them in. I've got a heck of a cold going on, and I stayed home from work because of it....gotta bundle up and not get caught  ::)
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
Re: Yup....inner rocker rot....
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2014, 11:52:15 AM »
Filling the rockers with foam would make it very difficult to fix properly later on.  I would stay away from that option.  If you can get it to pass inspection, I would just get some subframe connectors built and welded in.  That should restore the structural integrity, while not destroying what may be left of your rockers.

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #2 on: November 03, 2014, 01:24:52 PM »
Yeah, I wouldn't do the foam thing....just thought I'd share that one for the giggle it gave me (I mean if this was a "beater with a heater" for the winter, it wouldn't be a bad idea....but not on my Beast.

The subframe connector idea is interesting for the structural integrity, something I may do either way if it proves to be inexpensive enough...but, if I understand correctly, that'll leave the rockers still exposed (and visible). Two problems there. First, if I'm right for the rule of thumb for inspecting here....if there is a rust hole anywhere, it won't pass (I've also heard hole the size of a dime....). Not sure if that includes the underbody....but it probably does. Secondly...would some rust-check and/or undercoating preserve the inner rockers for the duration.....the salt here is REALLY nasty. I've got the unfortunate situation of having to try to fight the salt, and the price/logistics of the rockers being fixed even if I could sneak them through inspection.....or are you suggesting perhaps toss some bondo on there to basically "plug the holes" along with the connectors?.
"In order to attain the impossible, one must attempt the absurd" -Miguel de Cervantes

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #3 on: November 03, 2014, 01:48:16 PM »
Ok.....got some pics, you'll have to excuse the awful angle, but there's a big puddle right next to the car, too lazy right now to lay in that lol... so reached under and went blind.....

From front to rear driver's side, didn't overlap very well, but should give a good idea of the state of it. Its pretty bad, especially at the rear, where, now looking again, it seems inner rocker is only part of the problem....

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #4 on: November 03, 2014, 02:15:48 PM »
I am also against the filling the rocker idea with foam, my car has had that done. while it keeps the dust out of the cabin, it seems to hold water better and never seems to dry out, I assume the what else is left of the rocker is going to rot out a lot sooner as well.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #5 on: November 03, 2014, 03:44:16 PM »
Oh no!! Someone actually did that to an Eagle!! A beater with a heater is one thing....but yuck......I guess I was right that it would do more damage than good then. Well....tarnished silver lining is that at least it keeps dust out :P

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 07:19:28 PM »
You can always advertise for a body man on Kijiji. Lots of folks looking for extra cash for Christmas and New Years.

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #7 on: November 03, 2014, 08:13:01 PM »
Good idea Mernsy!! Once the muffler is on, if the few connections I have aren't up to the job I'll do that! Actually there is a guy on Kijiji that is advertising welding lessons...(cheap too!!!) if I had the time to spare I'd take welding lessons from the guy and learn to do it myself. I might even try calling that guy and asking if he can do it...fully ticketed, so that's a bonus (not autobody....but he has likely had experience). I will probably do the lessons down the road, but need to get this rolling soon.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #8 on: November 03, 2014, 09:29:17 PM »
That's quite a bit of rot!!  I rebuilt my inner and outer rockers, but mine had pin holes where the two meet - Not straight out severe rot.

from what I can see of the pictures, it's not just the rockers, but some of the supports and floor as well...

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #9 on: November 03, 2014, 09:35:34 PM »
Oh no!! Someone actually did that to an Eagle!! A beater with a heater is one thing....but yuck......I guess I was right that it would do more damage than good then. Well....tarnished silver lining is that at least it keeps dust out :P

the plastic that covers the rocker panels seemed to do more harm than good. I believe that the flares trap moisture, and road debris in between it and the flare, and cause it to rust out.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #10 on: November 03, 2014, 11:25:02 PM »

the plastic that covers the rocker panels seemed to do more harm than good. I believe that the flares trap moisture, and road debris in between it and the flare, and cause it to rust out.

For sure.  I took mine off as soon as I got the car.  Nothing but trouble.

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #11 on: November 04, 2014, 05:11:57 AM »
Yeah, I'm a little scared of what I will find when I remove those outer covers. I'm expecting it to be pretty bad. And yes....its looking like some floor supports are toast. This is going to be much more expensive (and more time consuming) than I had hoped I think......still not sure what to do :P

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #12 on: November 07, 2014, 06:47:59 PM »
Ok, I've got a line on a guy, but I need some input.
The guy worked in the past at a body shop, did a great deal of body welding. Not ticketed, but experienced. He now works in a granite shop, and my hubby knows his work, and knows he is meticulous and takes pride in his work (yeah, I know granite and metal are different, but it says a lot to his work ethic). I'm not sure if we'll be using his welder or not, because he doesn't have a garage right now. We have a friend with a garage and a welder (the welder guy and the garage/welding machine guy are friends and neighbors).

So....I need some suggestions on $$$
Need to pay:
Welder for his labor/skills
Friend for garage time (he would let us use it for free....but I know they could use some cash)
Friend for use of his welding machine (he just wants materials and a couple bucks for power)
Also a guesstimate on materials cost would be awesome (though the welder has materials he'll probably donate to the cause....so I do want to be sure to toss him appropriate cash for this).

Keep in mind, we will likely also be funding some beer and pizza during the process, as well as helping with the non-welding labor (I'll get the carpets out, etc). Only problem I foresee with the guy is he is a bit of a chatter......we'll have to put in some work to keep him on track lol. He is quite a character and the worst thing I've heard from people, when I've mentioned him perhaps doing the work is "it would be great if you could get him to stop talking for long enough....otherwise it'll take weeks". So yeah....not paying him by the hour.

I honestly have no idea what is appropriate cost for this kind of project and I don't want to take advantage of anybody, nor do I want to get ripped off....Thoughts and input anybody?

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #13 on: November 08, 2014, 10:02:09 AM »
Ballpark estimate...No more than $500. $200 per side and $100 for your neighbour. (Try to get an estimate from the welder before he starts.) Sheet metal is cheap. Grab an old stove or refrigerator.

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #14 on: November 08, 2014, 05:04:18 PM »
Sounds like the ballpark I was thinking and hoping for. Hubby and I were hoping/thinking the welder might ask for 300ish, and we can't really afford to go much more than 500 total anyway. Glad we were about right in what we were thinking. If he "hmmmms and haaaas" about a price when we ask we'll suggest 300 and he'll probably take it (if we whined enough he'd probably do it for less....but don't want to burn that favor). Chances are his sheet metal is old appliances, and if that's the case he'll probably consider it covered by pizza and beer :)

Offline Mernsy

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 13
« Reply #15 on: November 08, 2014, 06:15:04 PM »
Right on!
Be sure to tell him the whole world is watching through the amceaglesden.com .   :occasion14:

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #16 on: November 09, 2014, 06:13:10 PM »
LOL, will do! I'll try to get some pics of the guy as he is working.....quite the interesting looking fella. Looks almost identical to Lemmy from Motorhead. Going to be an entertaining fix I think! :)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #17 on: November 15, 2014, 12:25:09 AM »
pull up the carpet,
the side trim (covers the seat belt),
consider taking the seat belts out, or just from the bottom,
get the wires off the floor (suspend them any way you can)
scrape off that black tar that once was seam seal and sound deadening, (It can catch fire real easy), you can use Lacquer thinner to remove the residue.
just in case, remove anything that can catch fire just in case you don't scrape that black stuff off very well - Like door panels, other trim pieces around or near the floor.

consider wire-wheeling off paint around the areas you're gonna weld,
and wire-wheel (sandblast, whatever) off any undercoating in and around areas to be welded.

Make sure you're NOT welding close to brake lines, and especially the fuel lines (any steel lines for that matter)

floor, rockers, and other unibody shell steel is about 18 gauge (what I found)
body panel steel is about 20 gauge. 
I think part of the frame steel and supports is about 10-12 gauge.   
The extra supports (re-enforcements, whatever) inside the rockers are like 12 gauge. 

I'm not sure if there's anything heavier besides the bumper mounts, and stuff like that.  I'm talking body.

Have a good working fire extiguisher handy, and consider having a spotter just in case.
« Last Edit: November 15, 2014, 10:07:31 AM by Whuntmore »

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #18 on: November 15, 2014, 07:41:04 AM »
Great "To-do" list Whuntmore.....I"m likely going to be using that......
Looks like a bit of a new plan is developing...
Had the guy look at the Eagle last night, he is a bit concerned about where the good metal will start/end, and is worried he's going to get into a rather bigger job than expected (though he almost decided to do it anyway, because he had thought I was asking for a favor....not to hire him, paused for a sec when I told him "I was going to pay you either way...."). He also has a pretty awful case of developing arthritis, and with the weather, it would be tough. He said to get some prices elsewhere, and if someone says they'll do it for $1000 to jump on it, because not many people will do it for less than that. Professional shop, he expects about $2000-$3000. I gave the rocker-skirts a mild kick when he was there....."Those'll have to be done too".

We're in a tough situation.....tight on cash, need a daily driver ASAP, don't want to get a half-a-- job done just to get by and potentially cause more issues down the road. Cars rot FAST here.....not sure if this job would deal with all of the rust enough to prevent a complete rot by springtime, leaving us with a rusted hunk of metal and an over-expensive engine. Also got some engine tweaking and electrical to do to make sure things are hunky-dory and reliable.

We're going to put the Eagle in my grandmother's garage and get a $1000-2000 "beater" that is inspected until at least mid summer next year  :crybaby: (no joke guys....this hurts). In the meantime, once we buy my grandmother's house (pending our house selling), I'll be able to chip away at it. AND I may look up the guy on Kijiji offering welding lessons for $20/hour.....and I will do the rockers myself once I have enough skill and circumstances are right (I have access to a welding machine I can likely borrow).

Well...at least the Eagle is with me now....we accomplished that much. Still going to get another price or two on the rockers more for curiosity......but we can't strip it down to bones right now, which is really the right thing to do to ensure we won't be playing constant catch-up with rust for years. I think its best to do this right since I intend on this eventually being a reliable daily driver until I can't drive any more.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #19 on: November 16, 2014, 12:18:27 AM »
Another area that likes to rot out is the fenderwells, I have decent sized rust holes hiding under the flares on my car. But I am afraid that is from a poor paint job that was done to the car when it was wrecked at some point
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Nightpath

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 17
« Reply #20 on: November 17, 2014, 04:07:12 PM »
Do a search on Kijiji right now in Nova Scotia for some Eagles, there's a few close to the NS - NB border I guarantee you'd get for less than $1000! Just look them over closely before you decide on buying one. I bet you'd pick either up for cheap, especially since that brown one hasn't been running in a while.

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/new-glasgow-ns/please-read-eagle-amc-awd-no-pictures-yet/1027501640?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

http://www.kijiji.ca/v-classic-cars/truro/1985-amc-eagle/1022125954?enableSearchNavigationFlag=true

Offline Obscurity

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #21 on: November 19, 2014, 05:52:21 AM »
Ohh, thank you Nightpath, I'll check into those, and watch to see how long they stay on there. I can't get a parts car until after we move (no takers on our house yet.....ugh!). We have some lookers at the house that want to move before Christmas....if they buy our house I'll be calling for a parts car!
Kinda sucks, a few minutes after actually paying the money for the car we bought I got an email from a guy advertising on Kijiji for doing rockers. He LOVES Eagles....has had a couple in the past, is excited to work on mine....if it hadn't already been in storage he wanted to come see it. I promised to keep his info on hand for the spring, which is when we'll hopefully be able to get started on it again. He figured about $600-800 (a sight-unseen quote....).
I've checked out the fender wells, and they actually look pretty good, though they haven't had enough poking around to be sure it is all good metal. Looking forward to moving (hopefully soon...though I'm not holding my breath) and getting into the actual heated (though really tiny) garage and crawling around the Eagle some more to get a better idea of what it needs and start working on at least the non-welding stuff.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
« Reply #22 on: November 19, 2014, 10:00:06 PM »

Still going to get another price or two on the rockers more for curiosity.....

One place that I found that made me inner/outer rockers is of all places - a coppersmithing shop.  They usually make those really cool range hoods outta copper and some stainless steel, and make all those fancy designed backsplashes, fireplace outers, and other stuff.

He made me up a set of 6' rockers from 18 gauge steel for $60. 

Try sheet metal places, coppersmithing shops, or anywhere they might work with any kind of sheet metal.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk