News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 13, 2024, 11:18:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: When in doubt...hit it with a hammer!  (Read 2833 times)

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
When in doubt...hit it with a hammer!
« on: August 24, 2012, 11:18:03 AM »
I let somebody borrow the Eagle today and when they got to where they were going it wouldn't shut off, even with the key in the off position and steering wheel locked. When I get to where the car is it's still running and I can't get it to shut off with the key either. I did notice there was a definite pitch change in the motor when the key was cycled from OFF to RUN. I left the key in the RUN position and thumped the ignition module(stock Duraspark) with a rubber mallet, I was then able to shut the car off with the key. I tried to restart the car and all I got was a click from the solenoid...What the heck, thumped it too with the mallet then the Eagle started to work normally.

Both the solenoid and ignition module are only about 2 years old if that, battery is brand new.

So do you guys think this is an issue with the solenoid, the module or something else? The car is essentially bone stock.

Thanks!
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
Re: When in doubt...hit it with a hammer!
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2012, 04:55:13 PM »
Loose connection or something crosswired.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2012, 06:13:02 PM »
Could be a bad diode in the alternator allowing power to feed back to the ICM and coil. If it does it again. Unplug the distributor or the coil.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Zoro

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2012, 09:20:24 PM »
Could be a bad diode in the alternator allowing power to feed back to the ICM and coil. If it does it again. Unplug the distributor or the coil.

Never considered the alternator. If you unplug the coil won't you get zapped? ;D
84 Eagle Wagon aka 'Zoro II'
263,000 miles and counting!

Offline thereverendbill

• Thumbs Up 85
  • as seen on the internet
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2012, 06:52:53 AM »
I had a simular problem when i first got my wagon and it turned out to be a bad solenoid
1980 Eagle 2 door sedan (future solid axle swap)
1981 Eagle Kammback (restoration in progress)
1983 SX/4 SOLD
1983 Eagle Limited wagon  *For Sale* SOLD
1988 Jeep Comanche Pioneer (daily driver)
Click for YOUR TOWN, STATE Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

another amc forum
www.amcevolution.com

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: August 28, 2012, 03:04:28 AM »
Unplugging the 2 pin connector on the alt will kill the feedback and shut the car off (if that's the problem)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk