News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:00:49 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP nothing happens when I turn the key after welding driver floorpan  (Read 2427 times)

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Ok so my 81 sx4 is a manual but was originally an automatic, bought it that way. It always turns right over with no hesitation. I took it to a shop to have the floorpan on the driver side welded and now it won’t start. When I turn the key all the acc stuff lights up, good battery, good starter, not a single sound, so prob no power to the solenoid :banghead:. The shop owner say it was all of a sudden. It must be a wire. Checked fuses and they are good. I’m thinking that while they were under there they bumped something and a wire cane loose. Any help is appreciated!!

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Try this, key on, than jump the solenoid. That maybe gets you started. Otherwise the ignition switch at the base of 5he steering column was irritated to short out.

Manitowoc WI

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
How do I replace that? What does it look like? My dash is off so I have access. Thanks

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
I would also check the neutral safety switch. I’ve was acting up like that about 9-10 years ago.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
I would also check the neutral safety switch. I’ve was acting up like that about 9-10 years ago.

Where is that? What does it look like? I used to be an automatic so it was prob jumped??

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Figured it out. It was a green wire coming off of the ignition solenoid.
Thanks for you’re help

Online Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Good that you figured that out. Wire problems can be a nightmare. Did they do a good job jumping the neutral safety switch? I have had several wires from from there including that green one break.
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Offline olymunch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
Good that you figured that out. Wire problems can be a nightmare. Did they do a good job jumping the neutral safety switch? I have had several wires from from there including that green one break.

Yea they can! They must have jumped it further back in the loom because I couldn’t find it.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk