News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 29, 2024, 09:17:50 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: cold air intake  (Read 10619 times)

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
Re: cold air intake
« Reply #15 on: October 17, 2011, 11:49:01 AM »
Most cars have 180-195 thermostats to make sure that the condensation and fuel wash in the oil has enough heat to evaporate and be drawn out by the PCV system, as well as the tolerances are calculated for an engine running 195-210. If you run cooler then you risk more engine wear, your engine effectively never warms up to operating temperature.

195 is in the lower third of the green a properly calibrated stock gauge, and the H is above 250, if I recall correctly. Every car I've owned, from the 68 Tempest through the 02 Jetta has 195 as its ideal operating temperature, according to the TSMs.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #16 on: October 18, 2011, 10:43:41 PM »
Well unless my temp gauge is shot, my temp sits between the 'C' and the bottom of the green.  So it's pretty low.

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #17 on: October 18, 2011, 11:28:25 PM »
both spirits had 258s, and never got into the green, and ran great year round. well, one time my cardboard left the grille and hit the rad in the winter, and it got like halfwayish. but thats it, and it wasnt overheating when that happened. never had pinging, even with the advance not working on one car, and also note, im only an hour away from you jared.
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline maddog

• a long haired redneck country boy
  • Thumbs Up 45
  • AMC Eagle the original crossover
« Reply #18 on: October 19, 2011, 02:28:33 AM »
Well unless my temp gauge is shot, my temp sits between the 'C' and the bottom of the green.  So it's pretty low.
the one i have in Eagle Eyes just barely hits the bottom of the green line even in 100+ weather.
1998 CHEVY S10 (DAILY DRIVER/PROJECT) INTIMIDATIN'
1980 AMC EAGLE WAGON (PROJECT) EAGLE EYES
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=30758.0
1983 AMC EAGLE LIMITED WAGON-SURVIVOR (gone)
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=32372.0

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk