News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 04:39:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Fuel systme troubles  (Read 3395 times)

AK_Eagle

Fuel systme troubles
« on: May 13, 2011, 08:21:19 PM »
I recently bought an '83 eagle wagon and I am learning that I have quite a few kinks to work out. Here are the symptoms:

- Starts right up but dies as soon as I shift it into gear.
- If it hasn't been warmed up thoroughly, it is not uncommon for it do die at an idle as well.
- The whole vehicle shimmies when I shut it off and acts like it wants to start back up again. Takes a bit for it to actually turn off.

Contributing Factors?

- Electric choke does not work.
- The vacuum hoses are a snarled up mess. Some are plugged off, some are just not connected at all.
- I do not know when the last time the carb was cleaned out or replaced.

Any diagnosis? Thanks.

Offline n9xvt

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
Re: Fuel systme troubles
« Reply #1 on: May 14, 2011, 12:18:04 AM »
is the timeing correct? that would make one or two symptoms,,possible that advance is not getting vacumme,,other wise yep vacumme leaks/misrouting,,and possible carb problem,,sounds like choke anyway,,and to chime in is there and vacumme diagrms anywhere? maybe a basic it'll run right and these add 4X4 and those for heat?,,

AK_Eagle

« Reply #2 on: May 14, 2011, 03:16:20 AM »
How do I check the timing? I was able to track down a vacuum diagram on Eaglepedia that looks like it should make things a little easier. Much easier than the tiny one on my car. Where should I start? Timing, vacuum, carburetor?

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #3 on: May 14, 2011, 10:11:20 AM »
I would sort out the vacuum mess first.  Yes, I think we have most of the engine vacuum diagrams in the AMC Eaglepedia.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline n9xvt

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 5
« Reply #4 on: May 14, 2011, 04:01:53 PM »
timeing is easy to check,,but i have to agree on the vacume lines being done first,,seeins the spark advance is vacume operated,,i cant say for sure on amc engines<i am still a newbe to them,,but have 18 years turning wrentches under my belt> and please correct me if i'm wrong,,to check timeing one has to have a timeing light ,,after that its real easy,,for a check just look the spec up <underhood data plate> and unhook the vac advance <low on side of dist.>,
hook up the light find a clear spot to see the gague in the crank end <do a dry run with the engine off> and thats about it the light just hooks to battery for power and has an inductive pickup that goes on plug wire <#1>,,

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk