News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:58:53 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: i know we like eagles, but how about ponies?  (Read 30301 times)

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
Re: i know we like eagles, but how about ponies?
« Reply #15 on: January 04, 2014, 12:44:16 PM »
I'm a hatchback/wagon guy myself. I like pretty much any and all wagons! I learned how to drive stick on an '85 Rx7 and the first car I ever bought with my own money was an '89 Dodge Daytona. Sadly it was just a base model and not the cooler Shelby!

Here are a list of the cars I've owned in the past. Pretty much sums up my taste in cars.

1989 Cavalier Stationwagon - was my dad's work vehicle he gave to me when I turned 16.
1985 Rx7 - dad let me sell it for him and I'd get the money. I drove it for about a month before selling it.
1989 Dodge Daytona - first car I ever bought.
2002 Focus ZX3 - Bought as a more reliable car to get me to and from college.
1996 Ranger - Sold the ZX3 to found the truck and a motorcycle.
2008 Mazdaspeed 3 - First car I ever financed. Got a raise so decided to step my game up.
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon - Decided the 330 monthly payment was too much on the Speed3.
1992 Ford Festiva - Bought to save money on gas.
2003 Mazda Protege5 - Bought to be a bit more reliable than the Festiva.
1983 SX/4 - bought back in April after I decided to get back into Eagles! :) It's a work in progress.

funny you mention those type cars, I remember seeing a Chevrolet Corsica on the car lot I used to work at, and it was (i think a 2nd gen) 2 door hatchback.  I'm 6'3" and I could completely stretch out in the back with the seats down. 

Offline Krico

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 3
  • Keep on truckin'
« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2014, 10:23:03 PM »
The 80's buick reatta's, buick rivieras and olds toronados, had pretty cool techy interiors,
 but man! for favorite cars
I like to call myself open ended  but I love Plymouths satellites, road runners cudas, furys, would die for a 68 eldorado or riviera, or lincoln continental, 1970 Coronets have been a been a favorite or a while, or cutlasses and 68-70 chrysler 300s.
Keep on truckin'

Offline Monkeyjoe

• What greater man is than one who gives his life for his friends
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
  • If you want to look common, buy a Ferrari
« Reply #17 on: January 15, 2014, 02:38:10 AM »
Just around the corner from the house sits what I think is a '60 F700 . It has quad headlights and big front fender extensions. It probably has the 330 cu in engine that Ford put in Lincolns of the time. It looks like a beast. I wish I had a use for something like that so I could justify buying it.

As if one couldn't tell, I like big gnarly old iron. I was a trucker for a bunch of years, so I came upon it honestly. :eagle:

This truck would be an awesome toy hauler.  And those bigger trucks are still pretty cheap because they aren't in the hotrod scene.   I am looking at an old Ford COE late 50's.  It is really cool.  I also have a CDL and have spent many miles behind the wheel of a big rig.  I like the big gnarly stuff.   My wife laughs at me because I call them "Man Trucks"

One of the older guys who works in the O'reilys restores the big old trucks,  he has about 10 of them from the 30's to the 50's.  I love it when he is in the store because he know all about the older vehicles I own.  Very easy finding the parts I need.  Many times from his own personal knowledge of parts sources, not just what is in the computers.
« Last Edit: January 15, 2014, 02:40:21 AM by Monkeyjoe »
I JUST TELL MY WIFE "SOME PEOPLE COLLECT STAMPS"
1982 AMC Eagle SX4, (Little Beast)
1983 AMC Eagle Wagon, (Gold Digger)
1992 Dodge, Cummins, 1 Ton Duelly (Big Red)
1967 International Scout 800 (Scooter)
1988 Chevy k1500
1960 Ford F100
1927 Model T, Hotrod(Daddys Girl)
1961 Willys FC150 (Scat)
1978 Honda CB750
1971 Honda CB350

Offline amkfken

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #18 on: January 15, 2014, 10:56:07 PM »
I love getting and showing vehicles that no one remembers, what is that/, who made them etc.

At my age and no more garage space I think I have reached my limit!

83 SX/4 original inside and out, 107k miles
84 Dodge Rampage, 83k verified miles
67 amc Marlin 343/4spd, 68k verified miles
51 Henry J, who knows how many miles
58 Jeep FC170, some what modified, 25k since restoration
96 Grand Cherokee, 243000+miles, never have had to add oil!!
There are three kinds of men;
1.) The ones that learn by reading
2.) The few who learn by observation
3.) The rest of them have to pee on the electric fence for themselves.

'51 Henry J--'58 Jeep FC 170--'63 Comet Conv.--'67 Marlin
'06 Liberty(Mom's)--'96 Grand Cherokee
'83 SX/4 Sport-- 84 Dodge Rampage

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2014, 11:04:53 PM »
Rampage is a cool little truck/car! :)
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #20 on: January 16, 2014, 12:18:38 PM »
Rampage is a cool little truck/car! :)
:dontknow:  If I found one I would buy it, but that's one of the 80's dodges that I can't get behind.

but then again i'm not a big an of truck/cars all together.
Somewhere i saw you could get backwards facing bucket seats for it. i'm sure you could with a lot of trucks but I'd have to get that. 

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #21 on: January 16, 2014, 01:07:12 PM »
I don't think we have enough electrons for me to list all the vehicles I've owned, restored, raced, wrecked, modded, parted, etc. ;) It all started with working on the farm equipment and I got a '63 Vauxhall Victor to drive around the farm. I had a '73 Mazda RX2 race car (Cosmo 3 rotor with turbo that I went for pinks against anything on wheels and never lost, even without NOs)

I used to be into land yachts. '60s Pontiacs, Chevs, Caddies, Olds (only 1 Buick. A '67 Wildcat that was my Aunt Helen's) My first daily driver was a '68 Sport Fury with 383 and sonoramic dual 4 bbls. (I sold it in '96 after I moved to the US but I had swapped a wedge 318 in for fuel economy) I had about 300 various Chryslers, Plymouths and Dodges plus a few Fargos and Mercury pickups. One IH pickup I fixed up (it was registered as an '80 because it was assembled with leftover parts when IH shut down) 1210 shortbox stepside 4x4 with 1 ton axles and 258 with Clark 5 speed.
   I lost nearly 150 vehicles when my ex-wife kicked me out, sold the shop, my tools and ALL my vehicles for a case of beer apiece except the Ford pickup that was still in her father's name. No, I'm not bitter....much!
   I didn't get an Eagle until almost 1990. There was a reason my nickname is Junkyard Jim. ;)

Now I'm down to 2 Jtrucks, a '68 Travelall, my Eagle wagon and Comanche pickup (I don't count the wife's '12 Soul or the Grumman I sold my buddy and I'm waiting to get paid for)

As for Pony cars, I'm not sure if the 5 or so Vauxhalls I've had qualify, but I've had Pintos (1.6 turbo, 2.0 and 2.3), Bobcats (stuck a 400C into a glassback that had a dead V6), Capris ('71 with 2.0 turbo was my fav), Mustangs ('68 was the oldest) Fairlanes, Montegos, Cougars, Tbirds, Novas (lots of 63-67 variations). I had a '78 Plymouth Sapporo with a dead 2.6 that I swapped for a Dodge 318. I stuffed a 426 wedge into a '68 Dart. LOTS of pickups including many off brands in Canada. I stuffed a 327 into a '68 Datsun pickup.

Seemed like every payday I was getting 2 or 3 more vehicles. I even had my own junkyard for awhile till the ex shut me down.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #22 on: January 16, 2014, 01:27:52 PM »
I don't think we have enough electrons for me to list all the vehicles I've owned, restored, raced, wrecked, modded, parted, etc. ;) It all started with working on the farm equipment and I got a '63 Vauxhall Victor to drive around the farm. I had a '73 Mazda RX2 race car (Cosmo 3 rotor with turbo that I went for pinks against anything on wheels and never lost, even without NOs)

I used to be into land yachts. '60s Pontiacs, Chevs, Caddies, Olds (only 1 Buick. A '67 Wildcat that was my Aunt Helen's) My first daily driver was a '68 Sport Fury with 383 and sonoramic dual 4 bbls. (I sold it in '96 after I moved to the US but I had swapped a wedge 318 in for fuel economy) I had about 300 various Chryslers, Plymouths and Dodges plus a few Fargos and Mercury pickups. One IH pickup I fixed up (it was registered as an '80 because it was assembled with leftover parts when IH shut down) 1210 shortbox stepside 4x4 with 1 ton axles and 258 with Clark 5 speed.
   I lost nearly 150 vehicles when my ex-wife kicked me out, sold the shop, my tools and ALL my vehicles for a case of beer apiece except the Ford pickup that was still in her father's name. No, I'm not bitter....much!
   I didn't get an Eagle until almost 1990. There was a reason my nickname is Junkyard Jim. ;)

Now I'm down to 2 Jtrucks, a '68 Travelall, my Eagle wagon and Comanche pickup (I don't count the wife's '12 Soul or the Grumman I sold my buddy and I'm waiting to get paid for)

As for Pony cars, I'm not sure if the 5 or so Vauxhalls I've had qualify, but I've had Pintos (1.6 turbo, 2.0 and 2.3), Bobcats (stuck a 400C into a glassback that had a dead V6), Capris ('71 with 2.0 turbo was my fav), Mustangs ('68 was the oldest) Fairlanes, Montegos, Cougars, Tbirds, Novas (lots of 63-67 variations). I had a '78 Plymouth Sapporo with a dead 2.6 that I swapped for a Dodge 318. I stuffed a 426 wedge into a '68 Dart. LOTS of pickups including many off brands in Canada. I stuffed a 327 into a '68 Datsun pickup.

Seemed like every payday I was getting 2 or 3 more vehicles. I even had my own junkyard for awhile till the ex shut me down.
this one time I was reading a page, and someone said they drove a javelin in high school because it was his big brothers, and he had just gotten some other muscle car.  that's just not fair.  I drove a crappy 92' Le Baron!  and they got a muscle car, because   they had just  gotten a new one.  I mean, a hand me down muscle car?  ugh I wish.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2014, 02:00:12 PM »
Quote from: youngkyle
this one time I was reading a page, and someone said they drove a javelin in high school because it was his big brothers, and he had just gotten some other muscle car.  that's just not fair.  I drove a crappy 92' Le Baron!  and they got a muscle car, because   they had just  gotten a new one.  I mean, a hand me down muscle car?  ugh I wish.

I was the oldest so I had no hand-me-downs. I even paid for my first Vauxhall and worked for my dad on the farm to get the clutch ($35 clutch plus labor to put it in = 6 months daily work slopping the hogs, cleaning the barn and milking the cows)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #24 on: January 16, 2014, 02:05:18 PM »
So I guess you didn't have it easy.  I can't even imagine the possibility of being in high school, and just handing down a javelin, (or something) and getting a new car.  I suppose now any that had any following of some sort are expensive, so That's the price I think of, but it couldn't have been much cheaper back then. 

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »
Yeah, we didn't grow up in the age of relatively cheap muscle cars...or decent looking cars to begin with. I turned 16 in 2001 and was given the '89 Cavalier station wagon by my dad.
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2014, 02:19:48 PM »
obviously it's a higher trim, (same digital system as the laser/daytona) but i find it hard to believe people love Le Barons.  I can't stand it.  I've never had a good experience with it, and I've never enjoyed cruising around in it.    personally I love 80's cars like the daytona, just for the stupid stuff.  was there a car dodge didn't put a turbo in, in the 80's?  however, I'd pass one up any day for a 72 Torino, a nice Cuda,  or a 69 or 70's camaro.  also the matter of class.
what kind of people come to mind with a z28 or firebird, versus an AMX, or something.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2014, 02:23:44 PM »
In '75 when I was posted in Cyprus, my dad let my little brother drive my '66 Pontiac Firebird with OHC 6 and 5 speed. He got drunk and lost it so he replaced it with a '55 Pontiac 2 dr post. (He got a brand new Honda Civic that lasted 6 months)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2014, 02:28:27 PM »
In '75 when I was posted in Cyprus, my dad let my little brother drive my '66 Pontiac Firebird with OHC 6 and 5 speed. He got drunk and lost it so he replaced it with a '55 Pontiac 2 dr post. (He got a brand new Honda Civic that lasted 6 months)

had to look that up.  not quite an even trade off.

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2014, 02:47:23 PM »

had to look that up.  not quite an even trade off.

No fecal matter.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk