News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 04, 2024, 05:50:31 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: just an update.  (Read 20924 times)

Offline youngkyle

• certified license to ill.
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
just an update.
« on: December 03, 2013, 08:48:59 PM »
So I realize its been 2 weeks since i was supposed to get an eagle, (i think) and i haven't gotten one. The one i was looking to get, its actually my profile pic, was an 81 sx4 that was brown. It ran great, started right up, but it was automatic.  It was also brown and in person it didn't look that hot.  I was going to buy it after traveling a full day (well there and back)  and he said, "i don't have the title."  I'm not the kind of guy to get mad, so i said alright, left and told him to call me when he got the title. (it was in the mail). I found out on Sunday after heading down again, with my family this time, just to have fun, and he said he had sold it. :| 
So anyway i found another that i like more anyway as its an 82 so it's got the 4x4 switch, no rust through, and its a standard.  And its cheaper.  I'll be going this weekend if all goes right!

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
Re: just an update.
« Reply #1 on: December 03, 2013, 08:53:16 PM »
Right on! Patience pays off some times! Good luck with the purchase. Hope you can get it!
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #2 on: December 03, 2013, 08:59:51 PM »
Good luck with this one.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2013, 01:17:50 AM »
Ughh.  Unfortunately the world doesn't like me having cool cars.  I wanted to go get the eagle this weekend, but as my family doesn't appreciate eagles and the seller is always busy, I doubt it will happen.   maybe next weekend.  If not, I was thinking of an sx4 sport nearby. It was the one that I first saw, and opened my eyes to eagles.  Unfortunately it needs help and would be a project... Unfortunately I wanted one I could just use as a driver fro. The get go, but beggars can't be choosers I guess.  It would be a light project and its literally biking distance from my house.  Here's the details. (as my first project in counting on you guys to help see if it's a good idea I guess)
it was used as a cosmetic parts far so it's missing the sport mirrors, and a few other things, the insides a little rough and the back seat would probably get replaced, because it's torn up.  The clutch "is stuck down" and all I can think of is to replace the cylinders... It does have a sunroof, witch I love, but it looks like it broke and is now just plastic or fiberglass.  It has some awful Tasmanian devil mud flaps on it that would be taken off. it needs new tires, but that would happen anyway, as I think they look great with somewhat "beefy" tires.  The drivers door is off color, like its actually got clear coat, but the rest is the usual faded paint. it says it has newer front axles too.  Under the hood, as far as I looked its missing a battery and some hoses are literally cut right off.  Its posted at 600 but has been on for a few months and it doesn't say anything about a missing battery/hoses. 

Just exploring my options right now, but what so you guys think? I have tomorrow off now I guess so I am gonna go down and take some pics to show.  If anyone had any leads on some mirrors and/or some nice tires to put on I'd appreciate it.  And any project help or clutch information too.

I think it's neat that apparently there's another sx4 owner near me too then, if this was for parts. Haven't seen it though.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2013, 01:31:21 AM »
If you really want and Eagle and you really want one you can drive from the get go I say just be patient and what for the right one. I bought too soon and got myself into a project I didn't really want to be doing...and actually I'm not doing. I have it at a shop and now I'm spending money I was hoping I wasn't gonna have to! And on top of that an Eagle has now come up online that I wish I had the money for but since I've got this other project the timing just isn't right! :(

Do yourself a favor. Wait it out. More Eagles will likely show up in the Spring and probably at a cheaper price. Plus it will put your family more at ease if you get a car that's not a huge project from the get go!

Edit: Just my two cents! As they say!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 213
« Reply #5 on: December 14, 2013, 09:08:15 AM »
I would echo Prafeston's advice.  If you want a car that is ready to drive, that's what you should get.  With this one not running, you may be getting into a whole lot more repairs than you're thinking going in.  In my experience its usually a lot more expensive to get things running and back on the road than you anticipate.

If you have the time and $$ for a project, then this one might be the one for you.  If you need transportation soon, its probably best to wait.

Good luck on your search!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #6 on: December 14, 2013, 09:55:35 AM »
Yup, be patient.  The one with the sunroof would be problematic and turn into more a project that you want.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline eagleman

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 35
« Reply #7 on: December 14, 2013, 10:16:51 AM »
If it were me believe I would hold out for a better car. All the obvious missing parts is one thing its the non obvious repairs that get expensive in a hurry and add up faster then a gas pump running at full speed. Better cars are out there.Just wait it out both you and your family we'll be much happier.
Turkeys walk.Eagles fly!!!

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2013, 11:03:35 AM »
I agree with all points mentioned, and will add this. Once you find the right car, you may consider getting another one for a "project", as you can't just have one Eagle.  A project car is no fun if you are just trying to get it on the road in a hurry.  It is much more fun to take your time fixing it up while having fun driving the good one.  There will be the right car at the right time for you, just be patient.  If you do get a cheap project car ($600 is the perfect price for a project car), you have the perfect tool for learning how these cars operate and of their idiosyncrasies....Rich
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #9 on: December 17, 2013, 12:26:05 PM »
So I decided that the 600 dollar one isn't the good one.  It would be cool to do, but I was going through a frame of thought, as it was taking so long to find one, and I was getting hopeless! I mean how can there be so many sx4s but none of them are right for me?  Anywho, if its still there in the spring, and I have the funds, I'm grabbing it. (if I have the funds... My plan is to get a dodge Daytona in the summer.  so that takes priority unfortunately.) I believe I mentioned the one I like, but it's making me crazy. I know it runs and it has no rust and its got the 258.  I'm waiting on pics but lord its taking forever.  I'm going through a cycle of thinking it is just a plain old ax4, to a louvered up beauty with real aluminum rims and a sunroof. Or at lest one of those.  Big imagination I suppose, but onece again, if all goes right, it should be mine by the weekend!  ::)   

if it doesn't work out, I'm going to get a BMW. I'll definatly keep an eye out for one though.

P.s.  Its an 82... Any chance the radio has a cassette deck? I don't want my collection of classic rock tapes to get dusty.

P.p.s.  I noticed a gauge cluster for  sale downstate, and I should be going down there soon. If this eagle doesn't have one, its up for grabs.

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #10 on: December 17, 2013, 01:15:36 PM »
'82.  Probably an AM or if you are lucky an AM/FM radio.

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #11 on: January 26, 2014, 10:10:43 PM »
instead of opening up a new post, I'll just post in here again.  (obviously it's an update to this topic)
A lot of things have happened today, starting with me searching for a car.  While I go through sites, I look for eagles, then just for kicks, other cars I'd like.  and doing this, I found an 86' Chrysler laser turbo t top car.  I tried waiting for my eagle, but I need a new car at this point, and temptation overcame me.  So this or next weekend I'll be the proud owner of this 80's sports car. 

this probably goes without saying, but if anyone cares, I am by no means calling off my search for the eagle of my dreams. maybe in the spring i'll be able to get the one  was looking at.  I love eagles and I hope by this time next year I'll own one,  so you don't have to worry about me giving up eagles! (if anyone would) 
I love this laser, and I can't wait to own it.    I'll contact the eagles owner to let him know, and if the eagles available that's what I'm going for, but I don't know if that'll  happen. 

Offline Budwisr

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 24
« Reply #12 on: January 26, 2014, 10:31:15 PM »
My wife had a 86 Turbo Laser when we got married. Pretty quick for 4 banger, but had a problem with blowing head gaskets. We sold it to her brother and it suffered a terminal engine fire a year or so later. If this one survived this long it should be a "good' one. Coincidentally, I just seen one the other day after not seeing one for quite a few years. Bud
Bud
 1981 SX/4
 1983 SX/4
 1987 Wrangler
 1970 AMX
 1980 Spirit AMX

Offline youngkyle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 6
  • 1987 Dodge Daytona
« Reply #13 on: January 26, 2014, 10:41:34 PM »
yeah, I love these things, especially with the gimmicks like the digi-dash.  I have heard of problems with the turbo models, but I care for my cars, and I wouldn't ride this hard.  I have a list of cars I want in my lifetime (still in progress) but this takes off 2.  I want a laser, and a turbo car, so that's that.   mid engine is also on there!

I get over excited about these things, but I'm super excited.

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #14 on: January 26, 2014, 10:47:49 PM »
Good luck man. Bummer you had to bail on the Eagle. First car I bought was an '89 Dodge Daytona. Very similar in shape. I always wished it was the Shelby Turbo.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk