News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 17, 2024, 09:59:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Bug Out vehicle  (Read 12776 times)

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
Bug Out vehicle
« on: November 11, 2012, 05:53:15 PM »
I have been watching too much Doomsday Preppers here lately and got to thinking about a few things. I know some out there don't believe in this type of stuff and some do. Since we are into Eagles and we got our offroaders, campers, hunters, and general outdoorsy-type people here I thought this might be fun and possibly interesting.

Ok, crud has hit the fan....
Whether it be an martial law, economic collapse, famine, nuclear holocaust, fuel shortage, global pandemic, ecological disaster, EMP, super volcano, megatsunami, etc. (you get the idea)
Do you have security measures in place?

Anyone here make their Eagle (or planning to) a Bug Out vehicle?
Or do you have something else as  Bug Out vehicle?

In your mind, what vehicle would be the best Bug Out vehicle?

Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: Bug Out vehicle
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2012, 06:37:42 PM »
There used to be one of this type at work. His claim was that "modern" cars with electronic fuel injection have special provisions in their computers that would allow authorities to shut off cars with a radio signal. I asked him for documentation to this effect but he never did produce it.

On the other hand I have nothing to disprove his claim. It doesn't take much imagination to see it happening. I once worked for an outfit that ran several diesel vehicles with first-generation electronic controls. Some of these vehicles would do strange things when they were near a broadcast radio tower before someone figured out all was needed was to twist a certain pair of wires together.

My thinking is that if there's a shred of truth to his claim I don't want any part of it. Therefore, despite the capabilities of our Jeep Cherokee I would have to think about bugging out in our Eagle. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline recomer

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 25
« Reply #2 on: November 11, 2012, 07:12:19 PM »
Someone already built mine for me

83 Eagle Wagon

Offline milliard431

• Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 25
    • Robs1980eagle
« Reply #3 on: November 11, 2012, 08:37:23 PM »
Actually a "Dirty bomb" would render all electronic ignitions and electronics in general useless. A mechanical distributor would  still work so using an older set up from before the modules would work. Something to do with a magnetic pulse if I remember correctly.

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: November 11, 2012, 09:58:53 PM »
Someone already built mine for me

WOW!  I sure hope they don't need to get under the hood often!
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #5 on: November 11, 2012, 10:04:41 PM »
Also, concerning an EMP bomb, yes it would render EVERYTHING electronic useless.  The only vehicle I know of that would be able to be driven after being affected by an EMP would be a Mercedes Benz 240 Diesel with a manual trans.  It would not even need a battery to be able to start it (except in cold weather, needing glow plugs).
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline WoodenBirdOfPrey

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 15
« Reply #6 on: November 11, 2012, 10:24:32 PM »
As much as I love my Eagle, if I had to pack everything I needed up and trust one vehicle that I own, it would have to be my 98 GMC 1500.  It's the most bulletproof vehicle I ever owned, even though it was one of the cheapest at $1400, and it has a mildly twisted frame and has been rode hard and put away wet for it's entire life (first 10 years as a construction vehicle, then I bought it and haven't stopped putting it through the ringer).  I never saw something take that much abuse and never break.  My Eagle, on the other hand, has unfortunately been one of the highest maintenance vehicles I've ever owned, and I just can't put the same level of trust into it, even though it is more capable and better on fuel.

In the event of an EMP bomb, I think the only thing I own that would survive would be my 67 Cub Cadet 123, and  I won't be covering ground with that at a top speed of 9mph, so I think i'll just hunker down at home where all my ammo is.
87 Eagle Woody Wagon "Virginia" 4.2 Auto 174k

Offline mach1mustang351

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #7 on: November 11, 2012, 10:58:14 PM »
Here in Anchorage the way the road system is set up and where I live in town I wouldn't have much chance leaving the city until much after the mass exodus happens.  My plan is to hunker down and stay home where the stores and ammo are and leave later.  If I need to leave sooner the 2 wheel option may be best.
Fleet:

1987 AMC Wagon 4.0L, 3" Body lift, AX15, NP242
1981 AMC SX4 Sport
1969 Mustang (A Mach 1 with a 351)
1973 GMC K2500
2007 Suzuki Vstrom

Offline MudPuppy

• Define Normal?
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 39
  • If it can happen, it will happen to me.
« Reply #8 on: November 12, 2012, 12:16:16 AM »
Depending on exactly what had happened, I too would hunker down at home. Since I am within a short walking distance to a National Forest and a good sized recreational creek, plus I have a seasonal stream with lots of springs (1 of which is a 6th magnitude) just on the property. I am on well water (and is accessible without electricity) and have wood heat.
Though I do need to stock up more on the arsenal side of things.

If I could pick the ultimate Bug Out vehicle, it would have to be an armored truck...
Lurker & unintentional thread killer.
The power of accurate observation is commonly called Cynicism by those who have not got it.
I am not now at my least, rather my most; not reduced, rather at my most complete.
Yes, I stand before you now, naked, unhidden, uncamouflaged and unafraid.
As pure and true as a human being is able to be.
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #9 on: November 12, 2012, 09:47:23 AM »
I don't have one yet, but a mule would make a perfect bug out vehicle. Not sure if it will be easier to find water or fuel, but all you'll need is water and grass, makes almost no noise and can pass over most terrain. If it gets injured or worn out, you can eat it.

1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #10 on: November 12, 2012, 10:35:18 AM »

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #11 on: November 12, 2012, 03:24:19 PM »
Actually a "Dirty bomb" would render all electronic ignitions and electronics in general useless. A mechanical distributor would  still work so using an older set up from before the modules would work. Something to do with a magnetic pulse if I remember correctly.

Dirty bomb spreads radiation. A friend of mine swears the hood, etc on our cars will act as a Faraday box and if it's not running when the bomb hits. it will afterwards. NEMP (Nuclear Electro Magnetic Pulse) is generally from an atom bomb and the claim was that one set off in the middle of the USA about 1 mile off the ground would fry all the wiring grid from coast to coast. My place is off the grid. A magnesium flare in a radio controlled toy car will wipe out a car's computer and shut it off.
   I have a points dist and carb. Fuel is my biggest concern because you can't pump it easily without power.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #12 on: November 13, 2012, 02:46:07 PM »
interesting topic...

Two things I know of, old radio tubes aren't effected by EMP's.  I have no idea how to incorporate that into a car.  I'm sure older tech is the same thing, but from what I remember, it's the transistors that 'die' from an EMP (IC's, FET's, etc).   It's the Silicon in the transistor (and other components like it) that are sensitive to EMP's.  I am not sure about Germanium Transistors.

Just use 'lead foil' to cover the areas that get fried easy.  You wouldn't need much lead either.  If a microwave oven is enough shielding, then you'd only need a thin layer of lead.

I suggest lead, cause it's easy to work with.  you can mold it into the proper shape, and it can be soldered easily.  the problem is, even though it doesn't conduct electricity as well as say steel or copper, it still would have to be insulated against anything you're protecting.

To build a Faraday box, it has to be metal, and It can't grounded or 'in circut' in any way, and it can't have large gaps in it (but it doesn't have to be air-tight.)  It has to be totally insulated from everything - Even The car's body.  That would be considered 'in-circut'.
« Last Edit: November 13, 2012, 03:01:20 PM by Whuntmore »

steveabn8295b

« Reply #13 on: November 13, 2012, 04:45:57 PM »

Some links on faraday cages

http://preparednesspro.com/emp-101-part-iv-faraday-cage/

http://www.angelfire.com/biz/setpa/CGM/building_a_faraday_cage.pdf

How you add this to a assembled car is up your ingenuity.

Most I have seen is put the spare parts , in a cage and install after event. As mentioned microwaves are good ones for components.

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #14 on: November 13, 2012, 06:28:34 PM »
from what I've understood and read, the Faraday cage can't be part of the car's ground - it has to have a separate ground, in order to insulate the items you're protecting. 

if the 'cage' is part of the car's ground, it's still part of the system, and you can still damage the items you're protecting, but Looks like I will have to read up again. 

I wasn't sure about the mesh wire, and I didn't want to suggest it in case I was wrong.  I still think thin lead (like 1/16") would suffice.  You can go to any junk yard, or tire shop, and get buckets of wheel weights.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk