News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 05:36:07 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Looking to Straight pipe. How should I do this?  (Read 6232 times)

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Looking to Straight pipe. How should I do this?
« on: March 04, 2019, 09:42:40 AM »
Got my 83' SX/4. Hoping to have it on the road by the end of the month. Need to do exhaust. Im looking to just straight pipe, no Cat, no Muffler. Is it possible that I can just take it to an exhaust shop and have them do it for me? What should I be thinking about? and what problems am I not foreseeing?

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: Looking to Straight pipe. How should I do this?
« Reply #1 on: March 04, 2019, 11:13:45 PM »
Most reputable shops won't install an exhaust without cats. Why do you want to run "straight pipes"? It will sound horrible in my opinion.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #2 on: March 05, 2019, 10:15:20 AM »
I had a buddy take his Truck into a nearby muffler man and they straight piped it for around 75 USD. I wish I had a more compelling argument for why I want to straight pipe, but to be quite frank all I can say is I like the sound of straight engines. Especially the 258 Inline. I love the rumble. I was asking I guess just how complicated the exhaust on these cars actually are, and could I get a shop to do it?
« Last Edit: March 05, 2019, 10:16:11 AM by Ace2600 »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: March 05, 2019, 06:30:06 PM »
Most shops will not do that. The car needs a cat per fed laws so unless they are business to lose there business. They have to put a cat on.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: March 07, 2019, 11:37:49 AM »
Local law states that once my vehicle is counted as a "classic" Its possible to negate the cat and most emissions control. I don't have to pass emissions. I'm still trying to understand the relative difficulty of the exaust system.

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #5 on: March 07, 2019, 01:09:43 PM »
Federal law says the cat must stay. So most shops will not do what you want.

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC1

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #6 on: March 24, 2019, 01:12:19 PM »
I'll probably be able to contribute to this thread soon since I need a complete exhaust system. I've always done my own work but of course can't get the OTC parts anymore. I don't believe a shop will be able to make accurate parts from my old parts if I bring them in which I would prefer. They will need the car but it has been my impression that a shop will replace what is on the car that you bring to them. Mine are not factory stock. A shop will not remove a Cat. for you but if there isn't one there they can replace what is there. I've been that route before but I'll soon find out again and/or possibly check out a few shops.
1976 gremlin
pair of 1983 SX4's sports
1946 Cushman step-thru

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2019, 07:36:00 PM »
I too will find this out soon. No cats installed now on the v8. It needs a complete exhaust system so off it will go to a custom shop and I'll find out what they can and can not do.

Follow up...  One shop said since if it is a race car and no plates, then the exhaust can be whatever the owner wants.  If plated, then they have to follow the rules for the year, make and model.  Another shop said similar story.  So around here, if the car is suppose to have a CAT, then a CAT has to be there or they place one in.
« Last Edit: March 25, 2019, 01:59:52 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #8 on: March 26, 2019, 05:07:12 PM »
Well, I talked to a close family friend, and they say they can get it done for me. Thanks for the feedback!

Offline jeanajavelin

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 1
« Reply #9 on: November 26, 2020, 09:42:14 AM »
I too have to do exhaust on my 85 Eagle and would like to omit the CAT.  1st time for me to have such work done  on a classic and not sure if the CAT has to stay on.  I did take it to shop and left it. Told them want to not have the CAT and replace the muffler.  Shop guys did not object or tell me otherwise. Could it be since it is a classic and no emission is required? The car is going to be road driven. I have other AMC and some older with no CAT?

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #10 on: November 26, 2020, 05:21:59 PM »
Depends on state laws and if you have emission inspections . I believe if it came with a cat the muffler shop is not supposed to remove it. Depends on the shop if they want to remove it.
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2020, 11:54:50 AM »
I believe it is a violation of federal law to remove a functional catalytic converter. I also think if it has failed it must be replaced. There are companies that manufacturer performance cats. That might be your best option.
Was a complete exhaust replacement part of the plan?
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk