News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:01:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Mixed Brake Fluids  (Read 1944 times)

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
Mixed Brake Fluids
« on: June 16, 2019, 04:54:25 PM »
When my rear diff was rebuilt they also serviced my rear drums and topped off the reservoir. I was inspecting the fluid level today (no leaks or braking issues, just checking it) and found there's at least two separated liquids in the master cylinder which I suspect is two different brake fluids.

The master cylinder has a label indicating you must ONLY use Dow Corning (or equiv.) DOT5 but the reservoir cover says to use DOT3 only and I'm aware that mixing the two is a very expensive mistake. I can pump the reservoir out but what should I be refilling it with on assumption I don't also have to bleed and purge everything else?

Edited: I just verified with the mechanics book and it too asks for DOT3, so now I got two items stating to use DOT3 while another says DOT5. The reservoir is now drained and cleaned but I'm hesitant on adding anything.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:31:12 PM by MIPS »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
Re: Mixed Brake Fluids
« Reply #1 on: June 16, 2019, 05:10:57 PM »
DOT 5 (silicone base) should never be mixed with anything glycol-based (Dot 3, 4, & 5.1).   Is the sticker for sure DOT 5, and not 5.1?

Flush her out with DOT 3 or 4 and you're good.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #2 on: June 16, 2019, 05:30:37 PM »
It's clearly DOT5 alright. I'll go and get another two or so bottles of fresh DOT3 and then remove that sticker once it's flushed.

« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 05:42:23 PM by MIPS »

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #3 on: June 16, 2019, 05:59:43 PM »
Maybe some shyster oil change place conned a previous owner into a high-dollar "Brake Fluid Flush" and added the sticker!
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline MIPS

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 44
« Reply #4 on: June 16, 2019, 07:04:49 PM »
I noticed. A tiny bottle of DOT5 was $25, as opposed to a 1 ounce bottle of DOT3 which was $8 at LORDCO.
Well it's out of there now. Pumped the reservoir empty and wiped it down, then added fresh DOT3 and bled the fluid from each wheel until it ran clear. Found some sediment. Found a lotta brown fluid so we were probably in need of a replacement for a while now anyways. It might take until later tonight for everything to separate out in the container to see what's going on.
« Last Edit: June 16, 2019, 07:15:13 PM by MIPS »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #5 on: June 27, 2019, 07:22:19 PM »
The only benefit to DOT 5 is that it won't damage paint. I don't know why someone would go to the trouble of installing it in an Eagle.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk