News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• May 11, 2024, 03:40:21 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 4.0 motor  (Read 5506 times)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
4.0 motor
« on: December 13, 2012, 06:10:13 PM »
Just talked to a yard today that had a motor that I was looking at..

Told me $350 for the motor and all if I pull the EFI wiring myself.
I was told the vehicle was drove in. Sounds like a good price.. Not knowing the exact condition of the motor. I also didn't look to see how many miles and all I can remember it was a Cherokee or Grand Cherokee.

Looking at this because my head on the car now has the valve cover welded on it :censored: also currently also has a tapping and is giving me a lot of blow back into the Air Filter :banghead:
From what I've seen if only 350 no mater the year it's a good buy.. I just have to get money together.. They will even take payments..  Thoughts? and I list of parts I need to take with it.. This motor has the Serpentine belt and the A/C
My car is missing the A/C. and honestly if there's a Nest member maybe needing parts off of something like this let me know..

'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline eaglebeek

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 70
Re: 4.0 motor
« Reply #1 on: December 14, 2012, 11:34:26 AM »
FWIW, the $350 price is more than reasonable if the 4.0 is in running shape.

Two things to consider:
*in Cherokees the fan is offset to the right and will collide with the battery trade in an Eagle.
*the alternator as its mounted in a Cherokee will collide with the steering linkage bracket on the passenger-side frame in an Eagle.

There are work-arounds to these problems; just wanted you to know. :eagle:
1984 Eagle Wagon, 258, auto, 2.73 gears, daily driver
1983 Eagle Limited Wagon, parts; sold
2000 Jeep Cherokee, 4.0, auto
2007 Hyundai Accent, radical downsize from minivan, wife's car and she loves it!

"The society which scorns excellence in plumbing as a humble activity and tolerates shoddiness in philosophy because it is an exalted activity will have neither good plumbing nor good philosophy: neither its pipes nor its theories will hold water."--John W. Gardner, in "Excellence: Can We Be Equal and Excellent Too?" (1961)

Air-conditioning is so cool!

Offline BenM

• AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 74
  • Pittsburgh, PA
« Reply #2 on: December 14, 2012, 12:26:08 PM »
That sounds like a good deal for a running 4.0. I've heard to be weary of Grand Cherokees with security systems.
NSS#47184

1987 AMC Eagle Sedan -- 1976 Pacer Coupe -- 1968 Pontiac Tempest Custom S -- 1940 Mercury (& a 2002 Jetta Turbodiesel, 5 spd., the Wife's Daily Driver)

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #3 on: December 14, 2012, 12:52:45 PM »
The main thought I had was for the head to put on the 4.2. Plus I'd get the EFI and the computer for it..

Are there better options to use? Definitely will check the Alarm and probably get a VIN from it to see what it has..
Anybody needing the EFI if I get this and decide to keep the 2100 I have installed?
Would an Electric Fan fix issues with clearance?  I love my imagination.. :rotfl:
Take the 4.0 put electric Fan in and then use spare space  from relocating the battery to put a Turbo on it..

Main thought though is that at that price the head alone is not a bad way to go.. Us the 4.0 as a spare maybe.. Though there was mention of Core charges...
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline amcinstaller

• Installer, Mechanic, Who Knows.....
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 38
  • So That's Like A Cross Between A Pinto And A Vega?
« Reply #4 on: December 14, 2012, 06:22:03 PM »
buy the 4.0. pull your engine. swap cranks and rods engine to engine. return 4.2 as core and get some money back. build stroker. enjoy :occasion14:
www.decibelcar.com
www.jeepstrokers.com
1980 AMC Spirit GT  Restomod In Progress
1998 Dodge Stratus  Boring DD With Loud DD Bass
Liquid Audio Styling and Sound
Red Deer, AB, Canada

Offline carnuck

• Having a 727 means never re-doing the trans again
  • Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2012, 02:19:21 AM »
Get waterpump for TJ or Grand Cherokee and use a fan from one too. (centered fan like the Eagle). What year is the Jeep? '91 to '95 XJ is the easiest wiring swap for the EFI. I gave up on swapping a '93 Grand Cherokee harness into my full size Jeep due to issues with factory alarm systems and broken wiring.
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2013, 05:00:24 PM »
Hello all been a while but On this subject.. The motor seems to be a '92 Grand Cherokee with a Serpentine belt.

Looks clean and all parts are still connected. Still $350 and he gives me the computer with it. Thought a Stroker may be a worth wile project  Checking with the local TEC to see if that is something want to do.
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2013, 05:10:36 PM »
A stroker is easy as sin and well worth it. gives peice of mind since you are basically rebuilding it.

Manitowoc WI

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2013, 06:06:22 PM »
A stroker is easy as sin and well worth it. gives peice of mind since you are basically rebuilding it.

That's what I'm figuring and I admit I'm not going to be able to hear this 4.0 run but letting them rebuild it with the stroker in mind should be a budget build right? Alternator mount issue of some sort and AC mounting?
Are those a matter of fabricating cutting or what?
SpreadEagle
« Last Edit: January 06, 2013, 06:08:55 PM by SpreadEagle »
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2013, 06:20:16 PM »
Using the 4.0 head means a fabrication to the power steering bracket to run a v belt.

Manitowoc WI

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2013, 06:36:40 PM »
Using the 4.0 head means a fabrication to the power steering bracket to run a v belt.

So I can't run the Serpentine?
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2013, 06:39:06 PM »
You sure can

Manitowoc WI

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2013, 01:10:37 AM »
Ps lines should be fine. the gear foe example is the sameish

Manitowoc WI

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2013, 06:14:14 PM »
PS: '93 was the first year for Grand Cherokee and the computer is TOTALLY worthless due to factory anti-theft crapola (I tried rewiring one into my '84 J10 and the door alarm sensors and ebrake position sensor and ABS sensors drove me NUTS!)
AMC/Jeep gauges are for amusement only. Any correlation between them and reality is purely coincidental!

Offline SpreadEagle

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 12
« Reply #14 on: January 13, 2013, 07:24:16 PM »
PS: '93 was the first year for Grand Cherokee and the computer is TOTALLY worthless due to factory anti-theft crapola (I tried rewiring one into my '84 J10 and the door alarm sensors and ebrake position sensor and ABS sensors drove me NUTS!)
Great to hear about the year confirmation. I'm saying it's a '92 from the engine well sticker.
TEC won't do an engine rebuild... I don't have the time myself to do 1 and not the money to have someone else do it..
So I think this is a dead subject..
Me and my dreams.. :'(
'81 Kammback
'81 SX/4(Parts)

Offline carnuck

• Thumbs Up 89
  • Near Seattle
    • Virtual Jeep
« Reply #15 on: January 13, 2013, 08:22:30 PM »
I have the time, but not the current physical ability (it SUCKS getting old, but it beats the only alternative!), place to do it. My Comanche has been tying up my buddy's shop for 4 months now and I can't even work on that yet!

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk