News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 07:04:18 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Eagle 4.0L Oil Capacity  (Read 4748 times)

Offline Keystothejeepeagle

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Eagle 4.0L Oil Capacity
« on: June 22, 2016, 09:12:11 AM »
This might be a silly question, but here it goes.

I put a 4.0L HO in my 88 wagon.  The motor called for 6 quarts with the wrangler oil pan, while the original 4.2L called for a little over 5.

Now that I have a 4.0 with an 4.2 oil pan, what is people's opinion on oil capacity? 

I've been putting 5 1/2 quarts, but it's really high on the dipstick even when I attempt to adjust for the oil change. I know it's not a huge deal, I guess I'm just particular.  After all this effort I want it to be correct, and I'd like to make and accurate dipstick.

:eaglebig:

Offline macdude443

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 24
Re: Eagle 4.0L Oil Capacity
« Reply #1 on: June 22, 2016, 09:18:56 AM »
That's a good question, actually.  Would the changing of the pickup screen affect the reading?  I'd think so.  You want that screen properly submerged and the Jeep dipstick wouldn't account for the Eagle screen and pan combo.  Hmm
1982 Eagle SX/4
1986 Eagle Wagon

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: June 22, 2016, 09:34:23 AM »
I kept the jeep dipstick unchanged without thinking twice, but when I first filled it with 5 quarts it read several inches above full (dipstick seemed to hit the bottom of the pan).  So I tried simulating the depth the 4.2 eagle dipstick would protrude into the motor, and it was still and inch or more above full.

So this was a 6 quart capacity motor, with a significantly lower volume oil pan.  I should have measured the difference in oil pan volume...

I did switch the pickup and the motor is running great, I do wish I had an oil pressure gage tho.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2016, 01:01:35 PM by Keystothejeepeagle »

Offline amcfool1

• Eagle Limited
  • Thumbs Up 31
« Reply #3 on: June 22, 2016, 11:37:33 AM »
hi, an oil pressure gauge is a very good idea, and relatively easy to plumb in. Just tee it off the factory sending unit. AMC 6s don't mind a little extra oil. should be fine at 5 1/2 qts. gz

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #4 on: June 22, 2016, 02:06:01 PM »
The pan and oil pump and pickup tube as well as dipstick should stay as a match for there respective oil pans. So you should also use 5 quarts of oil, any more is overfill.

Manitowoc WI

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2016, 07:56:34 PM »
:censored:. My rear main seal is leaking a ton now. I think 5 1/2 is too much. Has anybody done this swap?  Maybe it was a bad seal anyway

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #6 on: July 01, 2016, 08:20:29 PM »
5.5 is to much however it will not cause a leak. I built 3 4.5l strokers.
Question Are you sure its the rear main, and not the valve cover?

Manitowoc WI

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: July 02, 2016, 10:57:44 AM »
Maybe i was just panicking a little. It isn't leaking at all now, which is strange because it had a steady drip from the bell housing when the motor was off.  I cleaned it and nothing currently. I replaced the valve cover gasket when the motor was out and can't find a leak on it. The oil is lower, but reads "safe" on my dipstick(prob around 5 quarts). The leak sure seemed like oil to me. I have redline gear oil in my trans. I'm going to wait to see if it keeps leaking

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • Thumbs Up 209
« Reply #8 on: July 03, 2016, 12:29:51 PM »
I recently had a rear main leak appear on my Isuzu Trooper a few weeks ago. There was a nice puddle under it. I was pretty disappointed because I had just put the engine in a couple months ago. After starting it, the leak disappeared and hasn't come back. I think some grit or dirt got in the seal and allowed it to leak.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk