News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 03:21:02 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?  (Read 13726 times)

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
85 Eagle. About 2 weeks ago leaving a snowy parking lot in 4 wheel drive while moving straight ahead through an intersection I gunned it a little bit and heard a bang and then thump thump thump. I was expecting front driveshaft or something but I was surprised to see my right front inner half shaft joint was pulled apart.

I replaced this axle with an aftermarket new part from Rock Auto in March 2017 after the old axle had an outer joint fail from a boot that had been torn from before I got the car. Ive been driving on it fine since then in both 2x4 and 4x4. I replaced the axle this time with another surtak/trakmotive from rockauto and initiated a warranty claim. Hoping maybe it was a bad part. FWIW these half shafts are using a tripod style inner joint.

Fast forward to this morning it happened again as soon as i engaged 4x4 on a snowy road.

When this initially happened I was theorizing maybe it was worn motor mounts but they checked out ok. When I had the car on the lift the other day I couldnt find anything to blame other than a cracked spring on the same side. I am currently riding about 1/2" lower on that side. I have all the parts to fix the springs, shocks, bushings and ball joints this weekend. But I am really worried Im going to keep blowing these inner joints.  Im wondering if they are too short. maybe I should try another source.

I see the last post in this section was about this same topic back in October. I posted over there too, so hopefully OP sees it. Anyone else dealt with this?
1985 Eagle

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
Re: HELP! Blew my 2nd RF inner axle joint in 2 weeks. Cracked spring maybe?
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2019, 01:25:13 PM »
I have seen 2 different sizes. Not certain why. Maybe 4 cyl to 6cyl differance. However its obvious to see the size change.

Manitowoc WI

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2019, 01:34:35 PM »
It's possible, every where I've checked only offers one part number for either side. All the axles I've taken out or installed looked the same.
1985 Eagle

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2019, 10:34:49 PM »
I haven't used photobucket in ages. Here is what dug up from that trainwreck site.i thought i had better pics but it is somthing to show my experience on the different halfshafts

Manitowoc WI

Offline AMC of Houston

• The only thing we learn from history is that we don't learn from history.
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
    • American Motors Club of Houston
« Reply #4 on: February 13, 2019, 02:25:52 AM »
From the parts manual:   The 4-cylinder inner CV housing is 3.75 inches in diameter.   The 6-cylinder inner CV housing is 4.33 inches in diameter.   However, there is no mention in the manual of any length difference between the two.   Obviously there is also a length difference as shown in MudKicker's pics!   May have the shorter one where the longer one should be!

George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
1960 1902 Rambler Replica
'64 American
'70 AMX (Big Bad Blue), '70 AMX (White)
'77 Gremlin
'78 Pacer Coupe, '78 Pacer Wagon
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2019, 04:53:40 AM »
Thanks guys, this is very good information. I will check that today at the shop. In the meantime I sacrificed the axle I was going to return so I could have a stub axle to bolt in place and avoid a tow truck. If this problem persists I may just be 2wd for a while.
1985 Eagle

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2019, 12:44:45 PM »
Well guys it looks like you're into something. The inner CV I've been riding around on for a year and a half is questionable. Because it's a new part it is not like either of the pictured housings but it might be more similar to the 4cyl. Is there a spec on compressed length?

Side note: we lost power last night and this morning while dealing with that I also managed to throw the stub axle in. Hopped in, got the eagle unstuck in the ice and pulled out onto the road only to find the brake pedal going to the floor! Gotta love it. I had brakes on every 4th pump so I gently drove it to work. At least it's here now(I work at a shop).
1985 Eagle

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2019, 01:59:18 PM »
I just ordered a carquest axle (bottom) from advance. Look at the difference. I think this is it.
1985 Eagle

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2019, 02:11:58 PM »
I checked the relevant manuals, and there's no mention anywhere of any length spec at all, except for the installed length of the boots.   It does mention that when the boots are installed, there should be a 1-1/8" gap between the small ends of the CV boots on 4-cyl cars; but no gap on 6-cyl cars (the boots butt up against each other.   That kinda implies that the 4-cyl inner joint is ~1-1/8" inch shorter than the 6-cyl joint.   Note that the parts books show all other axle parts to be the same; only difference mentioned is the inner joint.   Wish I had one of each to measure!

The old joint in your pic definitely looks too short!
« Last Edit: February 13, 2019, 02:14:49 PM by AMC of Houston »
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2019, 02:34:34 PM »
I've still got a new surtrack at home I'll post comparison pics when the carquest one shows up. I feel pretty good about this so far. Thank you both for your help!
1985 Eagle

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2019, 11:09:55 PM »
I don't know about the spec, but I had a similar experience with a Surtrak unit.  I tore the inner boot on my RF half shaft when replacing the front springs, so I took it out and swapped in a new Surtrak.  It exploded about 1000 miles later, on a dirt road during a sharp turn in 4wd mode.  Luckily I had the original unit as a spare, and was able to get it swapped back in after a boot change.

Here are the pics I have, in case they help.  I was able to score another original unit from another member here, and I got a warranty replacement for the Surtrak also.  So I have plenty of spares, but I've done another 2500 miles of rough trails since putting the original back in, no problems at all.

Wanted:  More time to work on my Eagle!

1988 Eagle Wagon - Overlander Build
http://forums.amceaglesden.com/index.php?topic=45852.0

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #11 on: February 14, 2019, 05:21:12 AM »
Thanks. Definitely looks shorter. I really hope I can get Rockauto to stop selling these so no one else has to go through this.
1985 Eagle

Offline mazdamike

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #12 on: February 17, 2019, 12:31:48 PM »
Same problem same parts(rockauto). Oreillys sell both length shafts,  going to order the longer (18. 1/4) length see if that fixs the problem.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #13 on: February 17, 2019, 01:25:34 PM »
What size do they list the shorter one? The Rockauto ones are 18 1/8.

My carquest axle won't show up until Tuesday or Wednesday. I don't have oreilleys near me but if that works for you I guess I could order one from them online.

I got one half of my front end rebuilt yesterday. The extra ride height will need the proper axles even more so.
1985 Eagle

Offline Draekon

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 22
« Reply #14 on: February 18, 2019, 03:08:51 AM »
Iirc, ranger axles are slightly longer and have the correct splines/flange. Might be worth looking into if you have a lifted front end
« Last Edit: February 18, 2019, 03:09:14 AM by Draekon »

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 05:24:10 AM »
I think I was previously lower than stock due to sagging and broken springs. These are Javelin springs and I think will be like 1" lift over stock. I've seen some talk about s10 axles but it seemed like they were too long unless lifted over 2". That'd be cool if ranger axles are a little bit shorter than s10.
1985 Eagle

Offline DAVE

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 8
« Reply #16 on: February 18, 2019, 09:29:18 AM »
no matter how much lift you do it won't change how far the spindle is from the differential. so a longer CV shaft is not needed this kind of lift only changes where the wheel sits in the arc of the suspension travel.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #17 on: February 18, 2019, 10:03:09 AM »
Good to know. This is something I was curious about.
1985 Eagle

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2019, 12:57:34 PM »
Ok folks, anyone following along or reads this in the future...
I just received a new axle from Advance Auto online. It's sold as a Carquest axle, it came in a GSP box. Looks much better. In the picture it is the bottom one. The top one is a Rockauto Surtrack.

Also I emailed Rockauto about this problem and they said of 100 axles sold only 4 had been returned for warranty so to them it didn't seem to be a problem unfortunately.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #19 on: March 19, 2019, 11:03:07 PM »
Hey, ItsaWykydtron!!

I'm attempting to continue your thread from the AMCForum here....
I don't think there's much traffic on that particular section of the forum...
http://theamcforum.com/forum/worn-motor-mounts-causing-in-cv-joint-destruction_topic98432.html

(I remembered my Eaglesden Logon!!  :))

Can you confirm for me that the Advance Auto axle you received is a GSP NCV82001??

And that it's dimensionally the same as your original axles??

I'm returning the reman'd axles I got from Rock Auto because they seem to have the
same dimension issue as the Suretrack ones you originally got...
I'm taking a major $$$ hit for that, but I can't risk having my daily driver's axles exploding on my commute
to work!!! 

When you mentioned the axle you got was labeled CARQUEST, I got excited and called a local CARQUEST store here!!   They said it was a good part number, but none of their warehouses have any stock!
I went to Advance Auto's website and they don't show any available either!!!
Did you buy the last one available in the whole world??   LOL!!

Thanks!

Mac.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #20 on: March 20, 2019, 05:49:18 AM »
In my half asleep state I clicked on the link in my email to go to the other forum and was thoroughly confused for a few minutes lol.

Wow man you are really having a rough go of it! I can confirm your part number is correct. I just went on Advance Autos website and it looks like I did buy the last one they had.

I still haven't driven mine to give a full testimonial, I have one more leaf spring and a gas tank to do.

2 options I can think of, start a new post here looking for availability or possibly a member has 2 good used axles to sell you.

Also in the time being you could always remove your axles and take the outer joint apart to just use it as a stub axle to hold your wheel bearings together. Unless youre full time 4x4 I guess.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #21 on: March 20, 2019, 06:34:30 PM »
Hah!   Sorry about that!!   I guess I could have worded it better!!

Rereading it, it does look like what you thought!! 

I do have one stub axle already that I used on a previous Eagle, and I have a really
ratty old core axle that I found in the corner of the garage that I'll knock apart to
get one more!

Hope we're done with the snow for the year, because it looks like I'll be in 2wd for a bit!!

Thanks for confirming the part number for me!

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2019, 07:23:05 PM »
No worries it was amusing. Good luck finding some axles and avoiding the snow!
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #23 on: March 28, 2019, 09:23:38 PM »
The only place I could find viable CV shafts was eBay!
Paid way too much, but they're on their way!

The old CV shafts are out, and the car is now a Spirit again!!    ;)

Sadly, it wasn't the CV's that were noisy, it's the hub bearings!!!
Crap!!  Not looking forward to that repair!!!   :P

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #24 on: March 28, 2019, 09:52:24 PM »
Ahhhhh crap! I just did one of my wheel bearings. It wasn't too bad. My car is still not back on the road. Struggling with bleeding the brakes and then I need an alignment. So close.
1985 Eagle

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #25 on: April 06, 2019, 04:18:28 PM »
I had a big problem with front axles breaking and after rebuilding the frontend discovered that my engine mounts were warn and 1 had only 2 out 5 bolts still holding. I know it sounds crazy but I have had no problems since replacing them. Mine also broke right after accelerating. Good Luck!
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline xtcinoz

• XTCINOZ - Life is good
  • Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 2
  • A M C -ALWAYS MY CHOICE
« Reply #26 on: April 06, 2019, 04:21:32 PM »
AutoZone has half shafts with lifetime warranty for about  $80.00.
68 Rambler Ambassador, 77 Hornet AMX, 70 Hornet 4dr sedan, gone but not forgotten. 83 AMC Eagle Sport Wagon making this my DD , just add 89 Jeep Comanche Sport 4cyl fi beater. 76 Chevy HvyDuty 1/2, 75 Chevy Camero (project or 4 sale) undecided.

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
« Reply #27 on: April 06, 2019, 05:11:51 PM »
I'm curious if you have any idea about inner joint length of the AutoZone axles compared to what I posted pictures of?

I drove my car for the first time last night. All good! I probably won't try 4x4 until my motor mounts are replaced, but I'm pretty confident mine are still ok.

What happened to you makes sense but it's still pretty crazy.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #28 on: April 07, 2019, 11:17:37 PM »
It makes sense to me that worn or loose engine mounts could tweak the front axle around and
possibly over-extend a CV shaft!
But yeah, I suspect they'd probably have to be pretty darn whipped for that to happen!!

I think most of the issues people are having stem from these aftermarket halfshafts that have
a dimensionally shorter inner casting!

I've been on vacation for the last week, so I haven't even seen the new GSP shafts that should be
sitting at work waiting for me!!
I hope they measure up to the ones ItsaWykydtron got!!

Suppose I still have to deal with the noisy hub bearings first, though....
I already rebuilt one hub a few years ago, but it sure sounds like they're BOTH noisy!  :(

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
« Reply #29 on: April 08, 2019, 09:59:28 PM »
Sheesh!!!

Opened up my new GSP axle boxes today and the identical boxes with identical part numbers
have different length axles in them!!!

WTF?!?   How is it so difficult to get correct parts?!?

Looks like I'm return shipping over the border again!!!   Son of a!!!!   >:(

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #30 on: April 09, 2019, 12:25:38 AM »
Bummer.  Every time a company's bean counters get ahold of a parts catalog, stuff like this starts to happen....................
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Just in case anyone is still following along with this....

After ItsaWykydtron seemed to have bought the last CV shaft left in the world at a retail outlet, I went searching for another!!  LOL!

eBay was my only source, being in Canada...
As I mentioned in a previous post, I ordered two from an eBay seller...
One was correct...  One was two inches too long!

Ended up getting a refund on the incorrect one....
Against my better judgement, I ordered another one...
That one showed up 2 inches too long as well...   Son of a!!!!  >:(
Got a refund on that one too...

As a very last grasp at the straw, I ordered one more from yet another eBay seller!!
Two days after my order was confirmed, every single listing on eBay for NCV82001
shafts disappeared!!!   Due to my complaints??   
I don't know, but after that, I just was assuming that the third axle was going to be
wrong as well...

WELL!!!   I was pleasantly surprised when yesterday I actually received a correct length axle!!!

The last one in the world, I think, folks!!!
Hope you guys are all good for CV's, because I think I got the last one that fits!!!

I guess we're all rebuilding and rebooting after this!!!   :-\

Offline Mitch

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 11

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
But do they??

The "ships within 1-3 months" thing makes me suspect they don't actually have any stock on hand, but very likely might drop ship from the same warehouse that probably all the ebay sellers were using!!

I was gonna try them, but I really didn't want to wait 3 months to get one!!
(and it could very well have been wrong as well!!   LOL!)

Offline ItsaWykydtron

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 0
Crazyness. Thanks for the update. I'm glad to hear you finally got one. I hope some supplier out there steps up soon.
1985 Eagle

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Thank YOU for your very helpful advice in this ridiculous quest to get a decent set of axles!!

I'm hoping that these will last me a good long time, but...  There's always a but!!   ;)
If they don't, at least I have a couple of originals that I can reboot if I have to!!

The outer boot seems easy to find...  But the inner is a weird triangular thing, that I'm not sure I'd ever find a replacement for...
Anyone here ever reboot an OEM CV shaft?!?

Now if I can only figure out what these two incorrect axles I'm stuck with might fit!! (they didn't want them back because I refused to pay return shipping!  And they didn't want to pay it either!!)
Maybe I can recoup some of my loss selling them to someone that can use them!!

Anyone want to experiment with 2" longer than stock CV shafts?!?   ;)

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
I put a new boot on a stock CV half shaft.  I got a universal boot from Rockauto, they show it as a Dorman 614004.  Also picked up a cheap tool to tighten the band clamp, I think that was from Amazon.  Wasn’t too tough once I figured out that I could split the shaft into two parts, and the boot didn’t need to go over the whole outer housing!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
The longer ones may be Chevy S10. They look the same but I'm only guessing.

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
I put a new boot on a stock CV half shaft.  I got a universal boot from Rockauto, they show it as a Dorman 614004.  Also picked up a cheap tool to tighten the band clamp, I think that was from Amazon.  Wasn’t too tough once I figured out that I could split the shaft into two parts, and the boot didn’t need to go over the whole outer housing!

Sorry, I'm a little confused -- for my '83 wagon, RockAuto is listing Dorman P/Ns 614003, 614256 and 03608 for the outers and only Dorman P/N 614002 for the inner.  (please see attachment)

Dorman P/N 614004 doesn't appear unless I search it as an individual P/N.  How did you arrive at needing the 614004 as opposed to one of the other P/Ns, and which one did you use it for, the inner or outer?

Also, could you elaborate a little on how to split the axle apart, please?

I guess I made the same mistake as everyone else by purchasing and installing (2) of the SurTrack AM8001 axles that apparently fail with very little usage because they're too short, or just junk.  I did notice they were a little shorter, but paid it no mind because they bolted up alright.  At least I kept my old axles as spares, though they do need to be rebooted. 

Thank you!

David
Current Project: 1983 Eagle Wagon 258
Past AMC Project(s):  1979 Spirit Liftback 232
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline amarshall

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 16
Sorry, I'm a little confused -- for my '83 wagon, RockAuto is listing Dorman P/Ns 614003, 614256 and 03608 for the outers and only Dorman P/N 614002 for the inner.  (please see attachment)

Dorman P/N 614004 doesn't appear unless I search it as an individual P/N.  How did you arrive at needing the 614004 as opposed to one of the other P/Ns, and which one did you use it for, the inner or outer?

I have a 1988 Wagon, and the 614004 shows as the correct boot for that year.  I did use it for the inner, for sure.  It was a universal boot, and maybe bigger than needed.  I recall the large end was bigger than I needed, so I pulled it up and cut off the widest lip down to the next level.  I assumed it was supposed to be that way.  Looks like the 614002 is slightly smaller diameter, maybe it wouldn’t need to be trimmed?

Hmmm, don’t have a great memory or any pictures.  I seem to recall opening up the inner housing from the end by the axle flange, there is a round plate that seals the whole thing on the end by the flange.  You should be able to pry that off and get a look at the inside of the housing.  The inner end has 3 knuckles that slide into the housing, and each knuckle has a bearing on it as I recall.  I slid it out of the housing for sure.    I think there may have been a way to remove the knuckles from the shaft, maybe a cir-clip at the end of the housing?

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18

I have a 1988 Wagon, and the 614004 shows as the correct boot for that year.  I did use it for the inner, for sure.  It was a universal boot, and maybe bigger than needed.  I recall the large end was bigger than I needed, so I pulled it up and cut off the widest lip down to the next level.  I assumed it was supposed to be that way.  Looks like the 614002 is slightly smaller diameter, maybe it wouldn’t need to be trimmed?

Hmmm, don’t have a great memory or any pictures.  I seem to recall opening up the inner housing from the end by the axle flange, there is a round plate that seals the whole thing on the end by the flange.  You should be able to pry that off and get a look at the inside of the housing.  The inner end has 3 knuckles that slide into the housing, and each knuckle has a bearing on it as I recall.  I slid it out of the housing for sure.    I think there may have been a way to remove the knuckles from the shaft, maybe a cir-clip at the end of the housing?

Thank for the response on this, will be ordering boots shortly to redo my old axles so I appreciate the insight!

David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline TheBirdman

• huffs gear oil
  • Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 12
  • that noise? that ll go away.
Ive replaced both my axle shafts now, both from rock auto under part number CARDONE 603027, one ordered 11 / 05 / 2017, the other ordered 01 / 25 / 2018. I didnt measure either, but they both fit and havent blown out yet. I do recall one of them having a coarser thread than the other, though.
83 eagle wagon 4.0

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Napa lists a reman axle shaft for our Eagles, P/N NMD 958130.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMD958130?partTypeName=CV+Driveshaft+-+Front&keywordInput=output+shaft

It's a reasonable $65 per axle if one can get past the $78 core charge!   :o

I don't know if they're better than anyone else's remans, but I've tended to trust Napa stuff better than the other parts houses in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Napa P/N I've listed above?

Thanks!
David
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
Birdman:  Those Cardone axles are the ones I originally ordered from RockAuto in March of this year...

I measured them due to the issue that ItsaWykydtron had with the SureTrack axles...

The inner housings were about an inch shorter than an OEM axle I had lying around...

I didn't want to take any chances, so I returned them...

Glad to hear you haven't had any issues with them!!
Guess I coulda saved the $125 it cost me to ship them back!!   :P

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?
DJM:  That reman axle you linked to certainly looks good in the picture!

But in the Specs section they list it as being 25 to 25-5/16" long!!!   WAY too long!!!

You might want to confirm that number is just a typo before ordering, because the Eagle shafts are supposed to be 18-1/4" compressed length!

Edit:   I just looked at that link again, and it states it has an ABS ring and the inner connection is splined!!!   Certainly doesn't match the picture!!   I'd be wary!!
« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 08:22:48 PM by Mac »

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
Napa lists a reman axle shaft for our Eagles, P/N NMD 958130.

https://www.napaonline.com/en/p/NMD958130?partTypeName=CV+Driveshaft+-+Front&keywordInput=output+shaft

It's a reasonable $65 per axle if one can get past the $78 core charge!   :o

I don't know if they're better than anyone else's remans, but I've tended to trust Napa stuff better than the other parts houses in the past.

Does anyone have experience with the Napa P/N I've listed above?

Thanks!
David

I bought a reman axle from NAPA, can't confirm the number right now but it's performing fine.

It always makes me laugh when I see a part like this where the core charge is higher than the reman part - what they are basically saying is that your old busted up axle is more valuable than the remanufactured one  :rotfl:

I didn't get around to installing my axle from NAPA for 2-3 years but kept my receipt and took the old axle in and they still refunded me my core charge.
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline Mac

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • You drive a what?!?

It always makes me laugh when I see a part like this where the core charge is higher than the reman part - what they are basically saying is that your old busted up axle is more valuable than the remanufactured one  :rotfl

No kidding, eh?!?

Last time I bought a CV shaft locally, about 10 years ago, the core charge was getting very close to the purchase price of the reman'd axle!!!   Thought it was ridiculous back then, too!!!  ::)

Too bad I'd lost my receipt by the time I installed it years later!!   :-[

Offline djm3452004

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 18
Good point on the length, Mac, I had totally missed that.  I always pick up and pay at my local Napa in person, so I'd just bring one of my old axles with me to compare.  If the reman one(s) were wrong, I wouldn't even have to pay for them; they would just send them back.

I have to see how badly I want to change the SurTrack AM8001 axles out before I do anything with Napa.  I haven't even driven on them yet, so they're still literally brand new.  But I destroyed the boxes like an idiot so I doubt RockAuto would ever take them back now.

I don't ever plan to rally race this Eagle like amarshall practically did with his, so maybe the AM8001s will be fine for basic driving.   :)

Thank you!
David

« Last Edit: July 17, 2019, 09:00:26 PM by djm3452004 »
                                1968 Ambassador 287

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #48 on: March 18, 2023, 06:54:04 PM »
Just got the replacement shafts, for the ones that I bought through autozone, that were too short in the inner bearing housing.  Two shafts, identical "new" unit box!a, same par, numb!r, but one of the shafts inner housing was an inch shorter... 2.5" versus the correct 3.5".

How can they be sending qrong eimension parts, mixed withbcorrect ones?  Quality control nowadays seems nonnexiwtent......

Offline rmick

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 40
« Reply #49 on: March 18, 2023, 10:29:18 PM »
These from Advance Auto Parts are supposed to be about 4 inches on the inner Part # NCV82001
72 Javelin AMX
72 Javelin SST
72 Gremlin with 4.0
81 SX 4

Offline AMC of Houston

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 86
« Reply #50 on: March 19, 2023, 02:05:20 AM »
Yep; should be 4 inches as rmick said - even 3.5 is a wee bit shorter than it should be.  I think the axle dudes are only looking at total axle length and bolt/spline pattern.  Probably don't even think about travel within the housing.   That's what happens when the bean counters run the show.
George G.
'81 Eagle Sundancer
'85 Eagle Waggie
'64 American
'77 Gremlin
'79 Pacer Wagon
'73 Jensen Interceptor
'86 Audi 5000 Turbo
'98 Aston Martin DB7
'09 Nissan Titan
'10 Nissan Maxima

Offline Artmodels

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #51 on: March 19, 2023, 12:21:48 PM »
I measured the 3.5" from the outboard side of the inner housing flange where it meets the diff housing, so seeing that the bearing sleeve runs through that, I would say that total possible bearing travel is 4".

And it was through carquest, same part number as the advance listed above.

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk