News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 19, 2024, 12:20:03 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: 87 AMC Eagle 4dr sedan in ABQ, NM  (Read 5345 times)

Offline Mewcus

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
87 AMC Eagle 4dr sedan in ABQ, NM
« on: June 15, 2013, 05:08:18 PM »
Found this 87 AMC Eagle 4dr sedan at the upullandpay in ABQ, NM.  I have already pulled the driver side window and both the front door interiors.  I will be going back tomorrow or next weekend to pull the back door interior panels and both front seats, but if anyone else wants me to pull anything for them I can (within reason).

The salvage guy i talked to said this was probably the first parts pulled from this car and it has been there 10+ years.  The interior is in very good shape (some dash cracks from the NM sun and dryness) but not bad. No rust but exterior appears to have a bent a bit.

Amc eagle junkyard find by mewwcus, on Flickr

« Last Edit: June 15, 2013, 05:10:06 PM by Mewcus »

Offline eaglefreek

• Moderators
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 209
Re: 87 AMC Eagle 4dr sedan in ABQ, NM
« Reply #1 on: June 15, 2013, 06:22:27 PM »
Wow, 10 years!? Many junkyards keep the cars out 90 days max and then crush them. Do yourself a favor, if the exterior door handles seem to work properly grab them for yourself. You'll need a small Torx bit to remove them.
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon 4.2L/4.0L head, AW4,NP242, Chrysler 8.25" rear.
1981 AMC Eagle Wagon As Seen On TV  Lost In Transmission

"I know he'd be a poorer man, if he never saw an eagle fly,
Rocky mountain high"  John Denver
Click for Fayetteville,TN Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2013, 01:06:43 PM »
Yeah, I'm with eaglefreek...can't believe they let this sit for 10 years without scrapping it. That center dash pod might be worth taking. It allows people to swap in the newer style single din headunits without cutting their factory dashes...don't remember what year they switched away from the post style radios.

Other things worth taking if they are in good shape. Bumper end caps, Headlight buckets if the mounting tabs aren't cracked/broken, maybe those floor mats.
« Last Edit: June 17, 2013, 03:42:38 PM by Daledevil »
1983 AMC Eagle SX/4 - Penny

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #3 on: June 17, 2013, 03:25:17 PM »
85 was the first year for the din style radios, but they might have used them on some 84's?
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline rollguy

• Turbo Diesel Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 84
  • Southern California
« Reply #4 on: June 17, 2013, 04:25:55 PM »

Other things worth taking if they are in good shape. Bumper end caps, Headlight buckets if the mounting tabs aren't cracked/broken, maybe those floor mats.
And........., and............, and..........., (the list goes on)  ;D
1980 Eagle Turbodiesel Wagon (only 2 known to exist as of 2008)- 7-7-2011 Flight to it's new nest @ Rambler Ranch
1983 Eagle Wagon  Tan over Copper
1982 Eagle SX4 "ALTREGL"  (avatar photo)
1982 Eagle 4 Door Sedan  Copper over Satin Black
1985 Eagle Sport Wagon October 2007 ROTM (SOLD)
4 Biofuel powered Benzs ('98 E300, '82 300 CD, '82 300 TD (wagon), '80 240 D)
1983 GMC Van (6.2 Diesel)
1985 Mitsubishi pickup (2.3 Turbodiesel)

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #5 on: June 17, 2013, 05:14:30 PM »

And........., and............, and..........., (the list goes on)  ;D

True...if you have the money and the space take everything you possibly can! :)

Offline EagleJoe93

• "You'll know it's me when I roll through your town. I'm gonna ride around in style. I'm gonna drive everybody wild, cause I'll have the only one there is around."
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 14
« Reply #6 on: June 17, 2013, 05:46:49 PM »
Weren't there less than 500 1987 Sedans made?
1986 AMC Eagle Wagon Limited. Work in progress. Most likely have the only one in town. :)

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #7 on: June 17, 2013, 06:09:44 PM »
454. i had 1, than gave it sort of to another amc nut.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Mewcus

• Hatchling
  • Thumbs Up 2
« Reply #8 on: June 17, 2013, 08:01:24 PM »
I pulled all the driver window, all interior door panels, and various knobs and interior parts this weekend.  I didn't have time to pull the seats, but I will be heading back this weekend for those, and probably some additional knobs and doohickeys.

I'll try to grab that center dash pod as well (probably that amc factory AM/FM along with it)  Now that the driver window is out, I'm afraid the interior will start to go quickly.

The mats look like aftermarket (they say michelin on them) but they do match the interior.  Not sure if they are worth them.  I pulled all the badges I could and the guy gave me all of those free of charge.  AFter all is said and done, I should have 2 extra emblems probably.

I'll inventory anything extra I pull and list here, but it doesn't look like anybody is looking for anything specific?

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #9 on: June 17, 2013, 09:05:48 PM »
I would also recommend grabbing the outside door handles. they are not easily found anymore, and tend to break easily.
1985 Eagle Wagon

Offline Whuntmore

• Busy Eagle Owner
  • Thumbs Up 111
  • If a hammer won't fix it, it's probably electrical
« Reply #10 on: October 28, 2013, 06:51:41 AM »
Ya know, with world-wide trade, they shouldn't be allowed to junk cars like this.  Especially rust free ones. 

this totally burns me.

Offline drock87

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 11
« Reply #11 on: October 28, 2013, 03:41:05 PM »
Yeah, I'm with eaglefreek...can't believe they let this sit for 10 years without scrapping it. That center dash pod might be worth taking. It allows people to swap in the newer style single din headunits without cutting their factory dashes...don't remember what year they switched away from the post style radios.

Keep in mind though that you still need to cut that hole to accomodate a new radio. It is actually slightly too short and about a 1/4 inch too narrow. My neighbor (who does this professionally) filed the top, left and bottom sides and used an air-powered sawzall to cut the side. Depending on how far back these posts go, there may be a pic somewhere.
My list of my cars/toys (or toys at my disposal!)

1985 AMC Eagle Sportwagon
2017 Mercedes-Benz C300 4Matic
1993 Mercedes-Benz 500SL
2016 Triumph Bonneville
 1962 Cruisers Inc Mahogany Outboard

I like to to tell people my Eagle is like a Ferrari. It's quirky, tempermental, border-line exotic, and something you don't see everyday.  See? Makes perfect sense....

Click for Akron, Ohio Forecast" height="90" width="160

Offline Prafeston

• I <3 Wheels
  • Global Moderator
  • Eagle Turbo Diesel
  • Thumbs Up 55
« Reply #12 on: October 28, 2013, 04:09:41 PM »
Not if you grab the whole radio bezel...then you just swap in the radio and bezel as one. So you can keep the old bezel and radio intact. That's what I meant.

Offline 1985amceagle

• Global Moderator
  • Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 18
« Reply #13 on: October 28, 2013, 09:10:08 PM »
The factory radios sit behind the bezel. When I was contemplating putting in an aftermarket radio, I found out that it did not fit in the bezel. The factory din style bracket did fit the radio, and I was thinking about putting the aftermarket behind the bezel like a factory radio. I now have a factory tape deck that sounds decent, so I have no need for the aftermarket radio in the eagle.
1985 Eagle Wagon

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk