News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• April 25, 2024, 10:33:25 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: bearinng noisee or not  (Read 12253 times)

Offline doneagle

• A.M.C. EAGLES ARE EXSITEMENT
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
bearinng noisee or not
« on: March 21, 2011, 04:47:47 PM »

HI      I have a noise on the front pas side . sounds like a bearing but I don't think it is .It comes and goes Its not there all the time if it were a  bearing it would be there allthe tine right.................Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

There are Eagles lovers and there are the uneducated and the best we can do
with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline hanajack

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 10
Re: bearinng noisee or not
« Reply #1 on: March 21, 2011, 06:08:03 PM »
When you hear the noise, hold a stick [ie. a 2' length of a broom handle; or, breaker bar] to your ear with the other end touching the various engine compartment componets.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #2 on: March 21, 2011, 10:19:31 PM »

thank you for the responce.........Don
HI.....A BAD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS BETTER THAN A GOOD DAY AT WORK ...A GOOD DAY WITH YOUR EAGLE IS PRICELESS

with them is try to EDUCATED them on the virtues of the BEUTEFULL cars that we drive   ...................don

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
  • Now, that's what I call a ride !
    • Armati e Responsabili (sorry, only Italian)
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2011, 03:19:09 AM »
Don, I had great trouble with the bearings, so don't disregard them. I posted a quick way to check them here:

http://forums.amceaglenest.com/index.php?topic=35011.msg277186#msg277186

Good luck !
"Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear".
Oh, really ? I guess that's why I need BOTH rear bumper corner caps now. Doh !

1981 4.2 Eagle Wagon LTD (Daily Driver)
2003 Toyota RAV4 (Wife's Car)
1985 Plymouth Gran Fury (Endless Project Car)
1997 Alfa Romeo GTV V6 TB (Not Running Now)
1994 Honda Helix CN250 (My Beloved Scooter)
1975 Honda 500 FourK (Can't Remember Where I Left It)
1985 Moto Guzzi California II 1.000 (New Entry)

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2011, 10:10:39 AM »

HI   Its  up on stands now tyred to move the wheel up and down front and back no play eather way ...
                       I can spin the wheel no noise...tyred the outher front the same no noise .So I put the back
                        up ran It with help and no noise ..so I come in side to worm up now you know what I know

When I go back out I think I well rotate the tires...I want to check the back breaks any way so
                         I can see whats left on the shoes and drums.......Don

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2011, 11:18:29 AM »
Uhm... maybe worn brake pads ? It may sound obvious, but sometimes we tend to overlook the obvious...

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2011, 06:59:54 PM »

HI      the brakes are all good ..over half on the pads and the shoes ....the bearings are like new
                      I ran it on the stands and no sound  with no weight on wheel's I think I will drive it a little more
                      and see what hapends..........Don

nvsteve

« Reply #7 on: March 23, 2011, 12:51:39 AM »
driveshaft ujoints.

my 84 just had this problem.  Bad vibration transmitting into steering wheel at different speeds.  Thought it was axle since boot was shot.  New axle did not solve it.  turned out it was rear ujoints.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #8 on: March 23, 2011, 07:44:17 AM »

HI there is no vibration  just the roaring its still up on stands .I can run it in drive or reveres no noise
                      I will check it over today ..when  I had rear drums off i tried to move the Axel the Axel was tight
                       I don't know ..............Don

nvsteve

« Reply #9 on: March 23, 2011, 07:22:17 PM »
have you tried putting it into neutral while moving to see if it still makes noise when you are coasting?  If the noise stops when you coast,  its probably not a bearing problem.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #10 on: March 23, 2011, 07:58:24 PM »
have you tried putting it into neutral while moving to see if it still makes noise when you are coasting?  If the noise stops when you coast,  its probably not a bearing problem.
                  HI    No I haven't tried that yet I will tomorrow I am dun for today Its getting colder out there and it is
                          getting dark  later...............Don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2011, 08:18:12 PM »

HI     YES in neutral at any speed up to 75 mph I did not go higher..the noise moved from right front to
right rear .and on a left turn it wobbles in the rear and.on a right turn is ok and strait its ok just noise ..Iam  going
to take off the right rear and look it over real good ............Don

Offline tougeagle

• Horses, rodeos, diesel trucks and AMC Eagles
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 75
  • There are many like it, but this one is mine
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2011, 08:26:15 PM »
Can't wait to see what you find, I'm having similar issues. My boss has something called a Chassis Ear, a series of four magnetic microphones you can place anywhere on the car that transmit to a receiver, unfortunately he and I never have time to look into it.
Upcoming 1982 Wagon "The Silver Bullet"
Goals: 550hp/600tq 4.5L EFI Turbo Stroker, Tremec 6 speed manual
2007 Ram 2500 6.7 Cummins 6 speed 600+hp/1400+tq fully deleted
1998 Honda Civic "the hoopdy"

What's your 'sona?

A dream car does not have to be beautiful in the eyes of others, it's not theirs.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2011, 08:49:56 PM »
Can't wait to see what you find, I'm having similar issues. My boss has something called a Chassis Ear, a series of four magnetic microphones you can place anywhere on the car that transmit to a receiver, unfortunately he and I never have time to look into it.
                    HI that is some Fancy equipment ...I will let you know as some as I know ....I don't want to wish this on any one ..but its a rellief to know I am not alone.... later.....Don

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #14 on: March 26, 2011, 08:20:48 AM »

HI   I know some times I will lock at some thing and say I did not wright that .Then I see the touge
                     and say ok ..It Is cold put this morning .............Don

Now it is easier to tell Toug From  Ten I have the eagles ok..................Don
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 10:44:02 AM by teneagle »

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #15 on: March 26, 2011, 09:53:03 PM »

HI     I pulled off the tire and wheel today .when I was taking off the luges I saw  what  was the
                        matter.The rem has a crack out from the lugs ..I don't know how I missed it win I rotated the
                        the tires .....well I put on the spair  and no noise  .. that is scary if that rem broke all the way.
                        I am  going to check the rest of them .that one was on the front ..Someone must have had to
                         mush fun with that one..I was hopping it was not the tire...I have good  B-F-G on it......Don
« Last Edit: March 26, 2011, 09:55:20 PM by teneagle »

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #16 on: March 27, 2011, 09:45:16 AM »
Good to hear you have found the cause Don.  I think this is the first reported cracked wheel.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline Eagleearl

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 20
« Reply #17 on: March 27, 2011, 11:29:49 AM »
Always a relief to find the cause and its not too hard to repair. Never heard of a wheel cracking before either.

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #18 on: March 27, 2011, 03:08:44 PM »

HI   Doug I have never  sean a A M C  wheel go bad .I did not expect to find what I found ..But I know
           the  car is in good condition...just glad its over ..
                     Eagleearl   good to hear from you. It was allot of work to find that wheel I had all 4 wheels off 2
                    times  
                     and that grease was cold every thing looks good I wont have to do this when it gets Hot ..Don
« Last Edit: March 27, 2011, 06:32:20 PM by teneagle »

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #19 on: March 27, 2011, 06:27:47 PM »

HI    Yes stock steal wheel. .......Don

Offline LaGuardia

• Eagle Sport
  • Thumbs Up 26
« Reply #20 on: March 28, 2011, 06:22:38 AM »
Wow ! A cracked steel wheel... I agree with the "Someone must have had too much fun with that one" part... ;)

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2011, 12:15:02 PM »

Good morning  I feel good today I looked at that wheel and it had Chrysler embossed on it .so I went to town
          to the dealer and roiled my tire in to parts .He looked at it and said wait a min .When he came back he said
          I can give you a new one for  $16.00 .I said ok do it .he said have a seat .In ten min he came back rolling
          my tire on a new wheel ..paid hem and roiled my new wheel to the car so it has ben an ok day .....DON

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #22 on: March 28, 2011, 02:40:34 PM »

HI    on my way back home I was thinking I do some of my best when i am driving .It had to be a 88 or
             newer .It was on the car when I got it .so I don't know where it came from .I still haven't checked the
             other rems yet just remembered that .............Don

Offline IowaEagle

• AMC Eagle Archivist
  • Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 476
« Reply #23 on: March 29, 2011, 06:28:03 AM »
It being a non AMC stamped wheel makes sense.  Funny ChryCo would stamp a wheel when most other parts were still marked AMC.
Click for Toledo, IA Forecast" border="0" height="100" width="150   

Not a Jeep.  Not a Car.  Its an AMC Eagle!

1982 Eagle SX/4 Sport;
1980 Concord DL;
1970 Ambassador 2 Dr HT, SST
2002 Hyundai Santa Fe;
2008 Jeep Patriot Sport - Freedom Drive II

Offline doneagle

• Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 29
« Reply #24 on: March 29, 2011, 07:28:40 AM »

HI   the older rems have moper on them.this one had Chrysler stamped on it I don't know ....Don

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk