News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 09:53:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild  (Read 38808 times)

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
Re: RallyEagle's 82 SX4 Rally car rebuild
« Reply #75 on: January 24, 2019, 08:40:59 PM »
I sealed up a few holes and put some dynamat on the transmission hump and firewall to help with heat and noise then primed it. I decided to paint the instrument panel.  The transmission filler tube will be framed with a big rubber grommet and metal plate. The speedometer head should be back together this weekend.  I also snapped engine bay pictures after I cleaned up the black parts. Enjoy.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #76 on: January 25, 2019, 08:20:22 PM »
I fixed the speedometer and made a new plexiglass cover so I can see through it!  Made a new fuse panel holder and mount the new fuse panel. This will really make the wiring clean with my other new wires.  Also painted the firewall silver. Getting close to setting gauges and landing wires. Fun!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #77 on: January 26, 2019, 07:44:13 PM »
Painted dash and while waiting for it to dry, I cut up a lower radiator hose and fit it in place. Installed the fan thernal switch and wired it in.  I'll start laying out the wire runs to get and idea as to what the harness will look like and where it will fit.  I also plugged some fire wall holes and sealed the front harness hole and the transmission filler tube. Used humvee harness plates and it worked really good. Enjoy.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #78 on: January 27, 2019, 07:19:48 PM »
Wrapped the fuse box wires and routed them down to tunnel. Then installed wiper motor wires, pencil light wires and broad light wires. Even though I'm not installing those lights, it'll still be ready for them in future. They ar e interlocked with high beam lighrs. And have overrides switches. Crazy wiring. Takes a lot of layout time to do this. Once a wire is cut, it's cut!  Installed temp sensor and gauge so the engine compart is really done!

Offline vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #79 on: January 28, 2019, 12:20:43 PM »
All those new wires are sure pretty but this has got to be a huge undertaking.  Good job!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #80 on: January 31, 2019, 07:53:42 PM »
True.  Lots of wires and a solid challenge.  So many splices!!! All being removed with minimal connections.

I forgot to check my propane level and my shop heat run out right before -17f weather. So no working on car until they fill the tank.  Bummer.  Car swap meet this weekend in Kalamazoo.  Might find some goodies.
« Last Edit: January 31, 2019, 07:55:35 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #81 on: February 03, 2019, 07:21:35 PM »
Got heat back on and now it's 45f! Outside...

Wired in the steering column and left side.  Next up is gauges, then right side.   Then test  and hopefully clean up wires with plastic wrap. Check out horn wire splices!  I also installed speedometer with new Plexiglas and wires.  Need to route Speedo cable and backup light switch wires. They were melted from left exhaust lead pipe!

« Last Edit: February 03, 2019, 07:25:04 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #82 on: February 03, 2019, 11:51:21 PM »
That is a sea of wires, wow. I hope to never have to do that. Your doing awesome.

Manitowoc WI

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #83 on: February 04, 2019, 08:14:49 PM »
Keeping track and labeling is my key to stay on track.  Thank you for the comp.

I made up the gauge harness, added a power plug to modernize it and mounted it in panel. Routed wires to center switch panel where it's an octopus now! I'll mount gauges tomorrow and start the switch panel.  Once wires are landed, I'll test out the electrical then place all runs in conduit.  Fun!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #84 on: February 05, 2019, 08:40:19 PM »
Check out the old fuse panel. Lots of splices and the main feed was just twisted wire!!! Set gauges and wired them in. Placed a ground buss behind dash for a common ground. Prepped switch panel for new wires and new switches.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #85 on: February 07, 2019, 09:10:32 PM »
Landed some new switches with boots on the control panel and terminated wires for start, alternator, ignition, gauge lights, dome lights, parking lights and head light control.  Still have Hella pencils and broad lights. Both gave override switches too. I prepped for broad lights but am not mounting them because that's a lot of light!  This car had head lights: low and high beam, pencil lights and broad lights. All capable of being on at the same time. Crazy bright.

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #86 on: February 08, 2019, 08:31:51 PM »
Wired in the pencil and broad light switches with low beam override switches.  Just a few more wires to land and it'll be ready for testing! Then if all goes good, I can clean up the wires and place into conduits.  The wiper harness is a pain. I may extend  them and place box in a better spot.

« Last Edit: February 08, 2019, 08:33:32 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #87 on: February 09, 2019, 06:46:59 PM »
Landed all the wires and tested the electrical. Seems all to be operational!  Installed the HEI distributor with new plug wires. Now I have to clean up and slide the wires into the conduits.  Getting close!

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #88 on: February 10, 2019, 04:39:24 PM »
First thing was to clean the shop floor and pick up about 10 pounds of scap wire. Now I can wall around the car without tripping.  Started the conduit runs and mounted the Eagles on the B pillar.  Decided to clean and gap plugs and set HEI to TDC to #1.  Topped of the oil and added antifreeze.  Cranked the engine to circulate oil and to make sure it would! Fun!

« Last Edit: February 10, 2019, 04:40:41 PM by RallyEagle »

Offline RallyEagle

• Eagle DL
  • Thumbs Up 9
« Reply #89 on: February 11, 2019, 08:55:49 PM »
I got most of the conduit in. Just need to to tiddy it up a bit. The gauge light power lead for oil popped off so that will be fun getting it fixed.  Got the switch panel done done and bolted it down. I like the patina on that so I chose to not paint it.  I have to fuel it and check for leaks. To do that I want it outside.  To put it outside, it has to warm up. So it will be awhile before I fire it .

« Last Edit: February 11, 2019, 08:57:38 PM by RallyEagle »

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk