News: Putting FUN and FRIENDLINESS, FIRST into owning and learning about AMC small bodied cars, primarily Eagles, Spirits and Concords as well as vehicles built in AMC's Mexican subsidiary, VAM.

The AMC Eaglepedia can now be accessed using the buttons found below  This is a comprehensive ever growing archive of information, tips, diagrams, manuals, etc. for the AMC Eagle and other small bodied AMC cars. 

Also a button is now available for our Face Book Group page.

Welcome to the AMC Eagles Nest.  A new site under "old" management -- so welcome to your new home for everything related to AMC Eagles, Spirits and Concords along with opportunities to interact with other AMC'ers.  This site will soon be evolving to look different than it has and we will be incorporating new features we hope you will find useful, entertaining and expand your AMC horizons.

You can now promote your topics at your favorite social media site by clicking on the appropriate icon (top upper right of the page) while viewing the topic you wish to promote.

• March 28, 2024, 12:17:55 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Author Topic: Great Lakes 83 SX/4  (Read 2542 times)

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
Great Lakes 83 SX/4
« on: December 29, 2018, 02:35:00 PM »
Hello everyone!

I'm hailing from Northern Michigan, I've got an 83 SX/4 with the inline 6 and the Tf998. Car only had 53000 miles on it when my dad picked it up, (he posted about it back in 2015) with me being so close to driving (16 in march) we've started working on it. Trans is junk, the carter is being replaced by the Gronk, and its getting new battery connections soon. Ill be asking about some stuff over in the Gremlins section of the forum, and from what I've seen so far i should have no problem getting an answer!

Happy to be here! - Ace.

Offline Taylor

• Administrator
  • Eagle Sundaancer
  • Thumbs Up 34
Re: Great Lakes 83 SX/4
« Reply #1 on: December 29, 2018, 05:02:40 PM »
Welcome to the site.
The SX4 is My favorite Eagle. wanted one when I was in high school. as for the carburetor, you might be better off finding a Ford manufactured 2150 than buying a chinese copy. I have one of the copies it works pretty good, i just keep a rebuild kit with me just in case. Just they have been know to fall apart and don't hold up to the Ethanol they add to our gasoline. if you rebuild a 998 and install a good shift kit and a few other little thing they hold up pretty good. I have seen them behind rock crawlers equipped with V8's and modified XJ's.
« Last Edit: December 29, 2018, 05:03:41 PM by potent357 »
2010 Toyota Rav4 pack mule
1985 AMC Eagle Limited Wagon 🖖🏼🦅
2020 Honda Africa Twin the long haul trucker

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • AMC Eagles Den Addicted
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #2 on: December 29, 2018, 05:23:20 PM »
Congrats on starting to work on the SX/4 and welcome to the Den.  The smaller body Eagles are a lot of fun to drive.

Where are you at in Northern Michigan?  I spent a few years on the east coast on Lake Huron!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

Offline mudkicker715

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 167
« Reply #3 on: December 29, 2018, 05:30:40 PM »
The 998 is a good tranny, it does need the tranny rod to the carb for proper pressure in the tranny. That is probs the number one killer on the 998. They are also easy to rebuild.

Anway welcome, and is that yooper or lower mi.

Manitowoc WI

Offline Ace2600

• Eagle
  • Thumbs Up 4
« Reply #4 on: December 30, 2018, 11:41:27 AM »
I have no doubts that properly done the 998 will last me for years. I'm just a little weary because I don't have much experience with these things, (I've only been around 15 years, and I don't remember the first 6.) As for the Carb, I already purchased the Gronk 2150 I believe. I've heard good things about it so im excited to install it. And as for the location I'm Lake Michigan side, just south of Manistee. Finally, Just a little question, What's the Acceleration and top speed look like on one of these?

Online vangremlin

• Administrator
  • Thumbs Up 212
« Reply #5 on: December 31, 2018, 01:36:54 PM »
Finally, Just a little question, What's the Acceleration and top speed look like on one of these?

Have you heard the expression, slow and steady wins the race?  That's what you can expect from your Eagle lol.  I was real excited about putting a tach in my Kammback, but after getting it installed, its almost as bad a watching paint dry.  The Eagles are great cars just not real fast or responsive.  Some improvements you can consider which do improve the performance include the Motorcraft carb, the 4.0 liter head and a different camshaft, or also consider fuel injection.  I got a throttle body fuel injection kit off eBay and it really makes a difference, to go along with the 4.0 head and new camshaft.

Good luck!
1981 Kammback 258 - "Pepe"
1980 Coupe 258 - "Ginger
1972 Gremlin X 304
1978 Gremlin 4 cyl 121 - sold
1964 TBird 390 - sold

SMF spam blocked by CleanTalk